Hello from Rutland

This post is 4673 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone! As my user name suggests, I am a bit of a late starter having only recently passed my CBT at the age of 28, never ridden a bike before! Better late than never though eh..

I took a few lessons on a 500cc and failed the MOD1 test a few weeks back :unsure: so decided to get a 125 and get a bit of experience on two wheels before going back to try again!

Anyway, yesterday a nice gentleman delivered my first ever bike for me! A 1997 Yamaha SR125. He had it MOT'd yesterday morning and a new battery put on it. It only has 4418 miles on the clock and seems to me to be in fantastic condition for its age. I've yet to go out for a spin on it though as I can't tax it until my insurance papers arrive.

Here it is - I'm a lot happier than I look in the picture! :icon_rolleyes:

5893269785_39054f5d49_b.jpg

100_3919 by Jimothy_Bobbins, on Flickr

5893841296_1f81fe4a26_b.jpg

100_3913 by Jimothy_Bobbins, on Flickr

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm a lot happier than I look in the picture! :icon_rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum LS, I agree you don't look to happy.

There is a lot of serious posts on here but also there is a lot of humour and joking hopefully to put a smile on your face. :)

Welcome along LS B)

Lol,,,,,,you look like you sen a gost in that pic :D

That is a well clean wee bike you got there,,,,,,best of luck with her,,,,stay safe

Welcome to the forum LS, I agree you don't look to happy.

There is a lot of serious posts on here but also there is a lot of humour and joking hopefully to put a smile on your face. :)

Hi Mike, Thank you for the welcome! Just as well there is a bit of humour and joking to put a smile back on my miserable face eh?!! Its a terrible photo but I was really happy to get the bike, honest! lol :lol:

Welcome along LS B)

Lol,,,,,,you look like you sen a gost in that pic :D

That is a well clean wee bike you got there,,,,,,best of luck with her,,,,stay safe

No such luck, was the wife - no ghost in sight! :rolleyes:

It has a bit of rust on the exhaust and a few other spots here and there but to my untrained eye looks to be in genrally very good condition - can't wait to get out on it! Hopefully the rust on the end of the exhaust will come off somehow?

Thanks for the welcome!

Anyway LS, your not that much of a late starter, I didn't start riding till I was 41 and twenty one years later I'm still like a kid with a new toy when I get on the bike every morning to go to work. At this time of year it usually takes me thirty minutes to do a six mile journey by going round the country lanes.

Two things.

1 - keep us posted when you take your test

2 - is Rutland still the smallest county in England?

41, wow, I guess I'm not that much of a late starter in comparison... Although there do seem to be a lot of 17/18 year olds wizzing about making it look easy! lol

I will indeed keep you all posted when I retry my test and hopefully pass. I will no doubt be coming on here asking for advice on what bike to get!

For now though, I have a much more serious question :rolleyes: - where should I attach a tax disc holder on my bike? :blink: I don't really want to put one on it and the bloke that delivered the bike said just to keep the tax disc in my pocket, however I don't really want to be getting any points or anything. Was thinking perhaps if I take off the footpeg or something then put the holder behind it? Don't want to remove an important bolt and have the bike fall to bits infront of me! :lol: Oh, the other thing - the tax disc holder I was looking at has a 5.5mm hole. Are all the bolts the same diameter?

And yes, I believe Rutland is still the smallest county in England.

where should I attach a tax disc holder on my bike?

I think the simple answer to that is wherever you can find a bolt or screw towards the front end of the bike, my disc is attached to the front brake caliper bolt.

I think the simple answer to that is wherever you can find a bolt or screw towards the front end of the bike, my disc is attached to the front brake caliper bolt.

Great, thanks. I will have a look tomorrow to find where might be the best place. ;)

and the bloke that delivered the bike said just to keep the tax disc in my pocket,

What a load of rubbish!!

It must be displayed.

I have it on good authority (motorcycle cop) in the near future bikes will not be required to display the tax disc. but at the the moment you must.

Looks a nice bike. Enjoy. :)

On my Dragstar 125 the tax disc uses the screw the fixes the fender to the front fork, the Virago uses the brake caliper mounting bolt.

Just open out the hole is the disc holder to suit.

Tax disc MUST be visible

Welcome to the YOC LS, nice little bike just take your time and stay safe. My tax disc is on the rear of the bike behind the foot peg, left hand side cos that's what it says in the rule book, if you don't display it you WILL get nicked, you can't even use a photo copy as it's against the law (yawn) to copy an official document, what you can do is buy one of those multi bolt jobbies that take forever to undo to stop the local scrote from nicking it. Ride safe, remember Black down Blue up.