Squared off tyre - rescue?

KingWasp
This post is 4659 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks...has anyone ever filed/sanded down the sides of their tyre so that it's less squared off? If this is a really bad idea then can someone tell me why.

Also is there a way of getting the shape back so as not to have to buy a new rear?

All help appreciated.

KW

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can get the sides worn down easily find a quiet roundabout and keep going around it for half a day alternating direction :o :o :o:lol: :lol: :lol::blink: :blink: seriously do not try that ,

Hi folks...has anyone ever filed/sanded down the sides of their tyre so that it's less squared off? If this is a really bad idea then can someone tell me why.

Also is there a way of getting the shape back so as not to have to buy a new rear?

All help appreciated.

KW

I guess all those who have tried this now all reside in church yards :o

If your tyre is worn out, get it replaced. Your life depends upon it.

Sounds like a new tyre to me. Usual cause of this is incorrect tyre pressure - check them regularly/weekly on your new tyre.

All help appreciated.

KW

get a new tyre and try LEANING it over when riding,if you go fast enough it unbelievably wont fall over,trust me ive tried it.

:lol:

Yep, new tyre ya need.

Stay off the straight motormays and take the twisties instead.

Have you been doing burnouts or donuts?

If not, do what has already been suggested. Either check your tyre pressures, or try leaning. The only time my tyres square off is when I used to do silly things, like burnouts and donuts.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

My rear has squared off quite quickly despite me leaning but I've put it down to a soft compound & the rough abrasive surface on the rural roads I commute on. Could be wrong tho :)

Why do you think companies com up with different compounds and belt weve to stop squaring.

You are upright for longer than your lent over simple. Racers don't square tyres because they are upright for a niny amount of a lap. We unfortunately don't. I have managed to burn out the edge of a few tyres but that was in my sillyer days when you think your indestructable, and spinning the rear out of a bend was 'fun' :blink: .

No cure for it except buy a tyre that suits your riding, the pilot road2 is a good one for even wear .

You will never stop the squaring off, goes with the territory i'm afraid, and as for filing it down.......

Agreed Cynic, I intend to try a different tyre next time. Current is a Pirelli but was a bargain so not hugely upset it hasn't lasted very long. Whilst I was amazed how far I actually get over, I cant see me ever wearing the edges out!! :)

Agreed Cynic, I intend to try a different tyre next time. Current is a Pirelli but was a bargain so not hugely upset it hasn't lasted very long. Whilst I was amazed how far I actually get over, I cant see me ever wearing the edges out!! :)

It sounds impressive but if i'm honest me and a couple of mates had done several track instruction days at mallory park, (before they put the chicane in :( ) and going from a sexy just out GSXR600 shod with 180 section track rubber to my old GSXF600 with a 140. I just rode straight off the side of the tyre onto my knee till the pegs, exhaust etc were leaving sparks. Thankfully any modern tyre will grip till the pegs are down.

Couldn't, wouldn't, do it now, pegs hit the ground from time to time but thats rare. Took me a while and a few observed rides to truly appreciate how smooth and fast plods are on the old white dinosaus. Rather than ride like Rossi, tried riding like mc plod. Its an eye opener. You are as fast and far far safer, quite odd, but big lean angles are a thing of the past for me, they slow you down :lol: .

yeah not taking the piss but it erks me too... and yes i get out in the twisties a bit, but the "chicken strip commute " rear tyre gives me the shytes......then i hate it when you do get to go for a rat the way it handles as it goes from flat to round in the transition of leaning over... it is frustrating............. but me being a tight arse ... i managed to get 23000 k out of a set of bridgestone BT 45's.... it's... interesting....

front.... yes thats a light shade of canvas

266680_171873989543432_100001624977275_467754_7134325_o.jpg

Rear

257617_171874112876753_100001624977275_467756_8035478_o.jpg

funnily enough the rear went flat at highway speed ( got a puncture!!) and was very very very exciting, .... turn and then 5 minutes later it would respond...( thats what it felt like) i do remember having the bike standing upright after leaning to the right handlebars turned a bit left to get back into left hand lane and the bike still turning right. so .... get new tyres..... i missed armco by millimetres.... i'm not bragging... it scared the .... was a sphincter puckering moment for sure... but ( this is the brag) a tek screw and some silicone and i was able to get it home and to work for the next 2 days to pay for said new tyres.... and no it wasnt a YA MA HA it was a gpz 1000 rx... lovely bike

copyoulater

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online