LED Headlamp

jimdeforge
This post is 4663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am thinking of putting a LED Headlamp on my bike. Can anyone provide any input on them? I am curious on where to find one for an inexpensive price and what kind to get that is good.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I usually put them on me head :huh:

didn't think they were bright enough to use as a main beam?

wow, cool but so expensive :o

I think you need to wait for them to catch on for the price to come down!

Do you not think its hypocrytical, Harley Davidson admitting in their own brochure that the OE headlight is rubbish compared to this fantastic one, then want you to pay through the nose for something i feel they should fit on the bloody bike.

Cheeky b'stewards. As to the light its too bright, that lamp will be incredibly bright for oncoming traffic. Cars will all think your on main beam and blind you with theirs. I would, there is an apprila that comes at me on the way to work, he didn't bother to dip his addmitadly bright headlights and got 450watts of H4 for his troubles. Hasn't done it to me since.

Well buddy, if you can browse on the internet u can find more than enough LED circuits where a large number of LEDs have combined together to focus light to a particular target..having read ur post hear with the video, am thinking of making my own LED headlamp for the bike..LEDs consume less electricity so it is possible to have a large number of them connected together to be powered up by the headlamp light power lead.

Small LEDs wont be bright enough so u should go for bigger ones that can be found in flashlights etc, or can purchase bigger LEDs..possibilities are endless that by altering the number of LEDs powered at once, u can switch between different brightness levels..plus there are 3 color LEDs so can have a very nice headlamp...I am going to work on it..u could use ur OLD mercury cup of the headlight..

Do not stare at high brightness LEDs, because doing so may cause permanent damage to your eyes.

The optics of our eyes focus visible light onto the retina, which is the light sensitive part of our eyes, similar to the way a magnifying glass can focus an image of the sun onto a piece of paper. Just as the piece of paper might smolder and catch fire, a light that is brightly focused on your retina can cook and thus permanently damage your eye. Exposure to bright white and blue LEDs can also cause permanent damage to your eyes through photochemical action.

Here is a link to an article about the particular hazards of blue LEDs: http://www.mdsupport.org/library/hazard.html#blue

If yo could find bigger ones like this links show u...u can achieve a greater brightness..

http://www.elecfree.com/led-car-headlights/

http://www.jedc.org/forms/LED%20Circuits%20and%20Headlights%20for%20the%20SeaPerch%20ROV.pdf

This will give u the idea..but be creative to have the best beam by using brighter bigger LEDs..avoid smaller ones..

http://www.resurgentsoftware.com/perfect_led_light.html

am making one..will make a thread here.. B)

Exactly my point they are too bright, more and more cars now have incredibly bright dipped bean, why. Cities are lit like a bloody football pitch anyway.

Dip beam should gently light the road, its more to be seen than see anyhow, then we would all be more comfortable riding/driving at night as we would not have to cope with the bright/dark changeover that leaves some (me) temp blinded on some occations.

Yes Cynic you have a point..but the brightness can be reduced by lowering or reducing the number of LEDs being lit..over those there are several advantages in buying some bigger LEDs and using them in your bike..I bought 15 such LEDs today but they dont have a bigger reflector in them like those u see in LED headlamps...

They last very long

consume less electricity.

No ordinary filaments so shock resistant

Brighter

Light is similar to daylight so very great on eyes.. B)

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting a PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X Bulb to see if that would resolve the issue I had my old bulb (low light) and it worked fine. I'm not going to spend the money to get a LED Headlamp now.

I ended up getting a PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X Bulb to see if that would resolve the issue I had my old bulb (low light) and it worked fine. I'm not going to spend the money to get a LED Headlamp now.

so that was a waste of a thread then :lol:

wow , those PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X Bulbs look pretty expensive, hope they are long life, every 'fancy' bulb i have ever fitted in my car and van never seem to last more than a year, wereas standard bulbs last years, ...thats just my experience (and no, i didnt touch em wuth my fingers)