Fuel System Cleaner - Yay or Nay

Badgerofmight
This post is 4704 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I'm currently going through a step by step service of my recently aquired 2007 ybr 125 (the injection odel) with 19,000 on the clock. I suspect the previous owner didn't even know the word maintenance as the air filter was flooded with a rancid gunk that must have been there ages.

A friend recommended that before I do an oil change, I put some in-fuel cleaner through the bike. I have a bottle of redex petrol injector fuel system cleaner which says dump the whole bottle in the tank but I assume this is a guide for cars not bikes. So I gues my queries are:

1/ Will Redex do any good for may bike, and if not, will it actually do any harm? Some posters on the net seem to think it will.

2/ If I do use it, what is the correct dilution? I have a 12.5 litre tank.

Does anyone else use cleaners, or just use the 'itlaian tune up'? Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, I'm currently going through a step by step service of my recently aquired 2007 ybr 125 (the injection odel) with 19,000 on the clock. I suspect the previous owner didn't even know the word maintenance as the air filter was flooded with a rancid gunk that must have been there ages.

A friend recommended that before I do an oil change, I put some in-fuel cleaner through the bike. I have a bottle of redex petrol injector fuel system cleaner which says dump the whole bottle in the tank but I assume this is a guide for cars not bikes. So I gues my queries are:

1/ Will Redex do any good for may bike, and if not, will it actually do any harm? Some posters on the net seem to think it will.

2/ If I do use it, what is the correct dilution? I have a 12.5 litre tank.

Does anyone else use cleaners, or just use the 'itlaian tune up'? Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

"itlaian tune up" ,,,,,,,what be that then ??

Im not a fan of the redex stuff but i dont think it will do any harm if ya use it to whatever the right mixture is.

Thats all i know im afraid !

I've read in various places that Reddexx is a gimmick product-I've never used it but I dont suppose if you already have a bottle it will do any harm, might be a good idea to use half the bottle to a full tank of the good stuff :)

"itlaian tune up" ,,,,,,,what be that then ??

Im not a fan of the redex stuff but i dont think it will do any harm if ya use it to whatever the right mixture is.

Thats all i know im afraid !

Italian tune up is how I've seen other people refer to giving it the nuts for a mile or so to give the engine a good clean out ;)

I've read in various places that Reddexx is a gimmick product-I've never used it but I dont suppose if you already have a bottle it will do any harm, might be a good idea to use half the bottle to a full tank of the good stuff :)

Thanks for the input guys. The gimmick-ness of redex seems to be true, the two ingredients stated on the bottle are just petroleum variants. Like you say though, I figured it couldn't do any harm. All that made me think twice was one forum poster claimed he used fuel cleaner then his engine was tapping and knocking. Someone did reply though, saying the carbon deposits were probably holding his seals etc together, and when that was cleaned out they fell to bits!