"New" xs400 Owner Here

This post is 4705 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone!

I just made a deal with one of my buddies to buy his '80 xs400. I'm new to the biking world, and the bike needs to some cosmetic work, but I can honestly say I had goosebumps when I first sat on it.

I do need to start off with a question though. There is a good amount of rust on the bike. From what I read on the web, blue-job seems to do a number cleaning anything off chrome and stainless steel (with the pads & a circular sander). I just wanted to see what other had done to clean up their bikes. I want to make this bike look spectacular.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum ST

There's quite a bit to polish on an xs400 (SOHC), this is where you start a restoraion as you clean one bit up which shows up the rest of the bike. The next thing, its stripped down into bits awaiting cleaning!! :lol:

For general bike cleaning, I got recommended the Castrol bike cleaner for Halfords, Its got acid in it and it works a treat. I just picked up some xswheels (the make, and its appropriate to have xs branded products on me bike)and I'm sure it has the same contents but cheaper.

Drewps

Hi and welcome.

.............. From what I read on the web, blue-job seems to do a number.................

You can't beat a little blue-job................or something like that. :D

:welcome: to the forum ST

There's quite a bit to polish on an xs400 (SOHC), this is where you start a restoraion as you clean one bit up which shows up the rest of the bike. The next thing, its stripped down into bits awaiting cleaning!! :lol:

For general bike cleaning, I got recommended the Castrol bike cleaner for Halfords, Its got acid in it and it works a treat. I just picked up some xswheels (the make, and its appropriate to have xs branded products on me bike)and I'm sure it has the same contents but cheaper.

Drewps

Would the cleaner damage the chrome on the exhaust? There is a sides aren't too bad, its the elbow from the ground up where the largest deposits are. The only other thing I worry about more is the dim headlight. Was going to hook a meter up to see if the electrical needs work or just a mod.

Hi and welcome.

You can't beat a little blue-job................or something like that. :D

Nice, I'm gona like it here.

Would the cleaner damage the chrome on the exhaust? There is a sides aren't too bad, its the elbow from the ground up where the largest deposits are. The only other thing I worry about more is the dim headlight. Was going to hook a meter up to see if the electrical needs work or just a mod.

dim headlamp is usually earth connection or lack of it.

the castrol stuff is for bikes and its no problem on chrome.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online