baffles

petercnm
This post is 4675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

again looking for some advice from the pro's...

I've taken up the idea to remove the mufflers from my exhaust, and make a set of new ones myself.

Just a straight pipe, pointing a bit upwards...

Now i'm looking for baffles which would give me a nice deep sound, not too loud...(but still loud enough :) )

any advice?

thank you

Peter

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You won't get too deep a sound from a 650, I'm afraid.

It barks nicely, especially when you whack it on full chat from low revs, but the really deep stuff comes from the big boys.

Best I can suggest is either finding existing silencers, or modelling yours on one. A nice narrow, short one sould be OK.

Failing that, my own are surprisingly quiet - Gemini exhausts from Italy.

The 'silencer' supplied is basically a short sleeve insert that fits just inside the end of the pipe, with a single bolt bolted through a hole in both walls.

The insert end that goes in first is pinched into a cone, with small holes of varying sizes drilled along it.

That's it.

Does a surprisingly good job and is simple as!!

I think Leatherat took photos of his...

I took photos of my exhausts, but not the baffles.......

Here are the exhausts

Picture010.jpg

and here are the baffles which were supplied with my pipes http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB-KILLER-universali-MARMITTA-exhaust-pot-auspuff-/230490165693?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item35aa48d1bd

The full set can be found here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-DRAGSTAR-V-STAR-XVS650-XVS-650-exhaust-MARMITTA-/230490166500?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item35aa48d4e4

Peter, think long and hard before cutting your original pipes as they are very expensive to replace if you ever need to. Better to buy a set of noisey pipes and hang the originals in the garage, just in case.

thanks guys.

I was planning to just take the end part off (i think that's called the mufflerr?). doesn't it come of without cutting?

thank you

Peter

I took photos of my exhausts, but not the baffles.......

Here are the exhausts

Picture010.jpg

and here are the baffles which were supplied with my pipes http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB-KILLER-universali-MARMITTA-exhaust-pot-auspuff-/230490165693?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item35aa48d1bd

The full set can be found here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-DRAGSTAR-V-STAR-XVS650-XVS-650-exhaust-MARMITTA-/230490166500?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item35aa48d4e4

Peter, think long and hard before cutting your original pipes as they are very expensive to replace if you ever need to. Better to buy a set of noisey pipes and hang the originals in the garage, just in case.

I was planning to just take the end part off (i think that's called the mufflerr?). doesn't it come of without cutting?

They will. You just need to unbolt them and slide them off. Normally you'd put then just put a Custom set of silencers on, which is why they're called 'slip-ons'.

In your case, you'd then slip on the ones you made and affix the same way.

Errr.......no they won't, or at least the bottom silencer (the one that goes to the front cylinder) won't.

This is why when you buy a set of Highway Hawk Fat pipes or Jardine slip on's you get supplied with a slip on can for the front cylinder and a full pipe for the rear cylinder. sounds complicated, but look at this......

This is the back of a standard set of pipes....

Picture001-2.jpg

Closer inspection shows the clamp locations....

Picture002-2.jpg

You can see that the silencer for the rear cylinder can be removed easily, but the silencer for the front cylinder is removed as part of the rear pipe as it is joined by the link pipe.

If it were as simple as removing the end cans and clamping on some extra tubing we'd have all saved ourselves a lot of cash.......but it ain't.

Mine never had that connecting tube... The covers were the same, but it was just a blank insert that rested between the two like an acroprop.

yep. i'm screwed...only the last one comes off....

But if i cut the interconnecting tube, front one should come off also.

i'm thinking of a system where i can still revert back to the original mufflers.

If it ever gets to be more than an idea, i'll post a picture.

And, ...i started her up without the last muffler :) very nice!!, but not for the neighbors.

I though you might find that to be the case. Like I said before, if it were that easy, the hundreds of people who have gone before you would have done just that rather than having to spend huge amounts of cash on aftermarket pipes, which, I'm afraid, is what you'll have to do. By altering your original pipes by cutting the link pipe, you'll alter not only the way it sounds, but also the way it runs, you'll also have to repair the damage you've done if you ever want to go back to the original set up. Far better to remove the original pipes, spend the cash and replace with custom pipes, then, if you need to , you can revert to the factory spec. Keep an eye on Ebay or the for sale section on here, as custom pipes come up for sale occassionally, but if you see some, don't hang around, they'll not be there for long as they have got to be one of the most sought after parts for the XVS range.

Oh shit, so the connecting pipe really connects the 2 exhausts?

I thought it was only for rigidity or so...

pfff...there goes a nice plan i guess.

thanks

Peter

hello guys,

i'm abandoning the idea of using parts of the original exhaust, and getting the idea of making it new front to end.

Buying pipe and bending it (with a hydraulic bender) the way i want.

But how do i make the connection to the cylinder? Can i buy a standard connecting piece and weld my pipe to that, or how would i go about that?

thx

Peter

Hello all,

again looking for some advice from the pro's...

I've taken up the idea to remove the mufflers from my exhaust, and make a set of new ones myself.

Just a straight pipe, pointing a bit upwards...

Now i'm looking for baffles which would give me a nice deep sound, not too loud...(but still loud enough :) )

any advice?

thank you

Peter

You'll need a flanged end of some kind, with another piece that sits around the pipe and sandwiches the flanged end into the cylinder port.

The Dragstar uses a sort of diamond-shaped piece, with two holes for the bolts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online