Good evening

This post is 4679 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good evening, and "Hello" from another new member.

I'd thought I'd take a couple of minutes to introduce myself.

My Nickname on here is GillsBoy. I've been a keen biker since 1977 and have had various makes and models, but have always favoured Yamahas since my very first FS1E.

I sold my last bike - an FZR1000 Exup back in 1988 to raise funds for a house move. I've been desperate for another bike ever since, but there have always been other priorities (like a mortgage!!).

Anyway, job, mortgage and children now permitting, I'm finally back on two wheels. And, just like London buses, with not one bike, but two!

I bought a red 2002 YZF-R6 back in March. It has few little goodies on it, and is in really nice condition. It's been a great way to get back into the mould, and it's amazing how quickly you get back into the routine (it's just like riding a bike).

Unfortunately my partner, who has a severe back disability just couldn't manage the pillion position (who can on an R6!), and was really disappointed that she couldn't enjoy the freedom that a bike brings. The only solution was to find a bike with a more suitable pillion position and, to that end, we bought a 1997 XJ600 Diversion in April (not, I hasten to add, in place of my R6!).

So far, so good on the XJ, and despite never having been on a bike before, she's a natural pillion after only a few outings and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

So now I have the best of both worlds; the XJ on which I can enjoy a more relaxed ride in the company of my partner, and the R6 on which I can, shall we say, just enjoy!!

Anyway, I'll pop some pictures up in due course.

Bye for now.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello again,

I've noticed that, despite a number of reviews, I've had no replies to my introduction.

On re-reading my initial post, it occured to me that it may have come over as being somewhat pretentious.

Please be assured that this was not meant to be the case.

It took a patient 8 years to be able to afford my FZR1000 EXUP, as that was the bike that I really wanted, and I was prepared to wait to get it. Unfortunately, a forced house move meant it had to go long before I had intended.

It has been a further 12 long years before I've been in a position to buy another bike, and I'm absolutely loving very minute on both the R6 and the XJ. It's just great to enjoy the fun and freedom that two wheels brings.

I currently live on the Northamptonshire/Cambridgeshre border, and would be interested in hearing of any meets/ride-outs that occur in that area. It would be nice to share some of my riding time with people who have the same passion for bikes.

In the meantime, happy biking, and hope to hear of other people's experiences soon.

Hi Gillsboy,

I have only just seen this so a big welcome from me. There are a lot of lurkers and I have a look when I am on my phone so that may register as a view.

I thought it was s good intro.

Hi Gillsbey and welcome to the nuthouse :huh:

I've got to admit that I didn't see your great intro (we like intro's) either, there are so many Noobs joining on a daily basis that its hard to keep up, The XJ is the 'bogs dollocks' as far as I'm concerned, great that you can get your better half out to enjoy the experience of hooning around the tarmac playground.

Atb

Jim

Hi Gillsbey and welcome to the nuthouse :huh:

I've got to admit that I didn't see your great intro (we like intro's) either, there are so many Noobs joining on a daily basis that its hard to keep up, The XJ is the 'bogs dollocks' as far as I'm concerned, great that you can get your better half out to enjoy the experience of hooning around the tarmac playground.

Atb

Jim

Hi and welcome :)

Well failte from me too Gillsbey,,,,,;)

I must admit, i dont look at all the new members intros

Aye,, im a fan of the xj6 too,,,,fine bike

Tis indeed hard ta have the monies for da bikes we love,,,,,,saving hard is da only way.

Anyway welcome back ta biking,,,stay safe an happy ridin

Hello Gillsbey and welcome ive only just read it myself been out tinkering with me xtz, been a keen biker since 1977 ay that makes you older than me... brilliant :D

Wow, thanks for all the Welcomes Guys, I really feel at home now.

Glad I make you feel like a mere whippersnapper Reverend, I suppose I have to be older than someone :-)

Interesting that most people seem to like the XJ over the R6. However, it is a good solid bike, and it brings its own kind of pleasure. Hopefully, the pair of us will make our major maiden voyage on it to WSB at Silverstone next month.

In the meantime I've just uploaded some pics of the R6 to the Gallery, and will do some of the XJ in due course.

Happy biking.

Hey. Group hug :D

Glad to see you came back. Sometimes there are a flurry of new member and, unfortunately, some posts get missed.

A lot of guys just "first post" to try to sell things or ask question without so much as a "Hello I am blah from blahsville", these do tend to get ignored.

I've been biking since '76 BTW.

Hey. Group hug :D

Glad to see you came back. Sometimes there are a flurry of new member and, unfortunately, some posts get missed.

A lot of guys just "first post" to try to sell things or ask question without so much as a "Hello I am blah from blahsville", these do tend to get ignored.

I've been biking since '76 BTW.

Hi and welcome, it was 77 when I first turned the key, twisted wires together before that ;)