Best solvent

Badgerofmight
This post is 4680 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, apologies for this query as most of you will already buy solvent without even having to thinka about it, but...

In the maintenance manuals and the like, whenever they describe taking something apart they mention cleaning certain parts with solvent. Also, to clean under the engine to check for a leak around the clutch lever for example, I would also be recommended a solvent.

Whenever solvent is mentioned the advice is always to use one that won't damage seals etc if it gets somewhere you didn't want it.

What solvent would people recommend? Are any certain brands the best, and can one solvent be used for all jobs or will I need different types?

There might not be that much in it, they might all be the same, but I'd appreciate any input as I'm new to self-servicing and wanna get it right.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Arrr, what he said!

i use turps or white spirit

I also fund that..

Applied externally to the affected areas, turpentine is a highly effective treatment for lice.

Turpentine can be mixed with animal fat as a primitive chest rub for nasal and throat complaints. Some modern chest rubs still contain some turpentine (e.g., Vick's Vaporub).

Internal administration of turpentine is no longer common today, though it was once the preferred means of treating intestinal parasites."

Thanks for the pointers guys. I've ended up with a litre of gunk (the green tree hugging suff). The tougher grime takes a couple of applications and a bit of scrubbing but I can't expect it to do all the work, otherwise it does the trick. £7 from Halfords, and my zippo came up a treat too!

Ooo, turps? If you like the smell I guess but not for me.

Mineral based baby oil on your hands for grease/oil, oil based paint. Works a treat and then rinse off with normal soap and warm water. Even smells nice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online