Speedo

CFD207
This post is 4692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a '99 vstar 650.

I have figured out that my speedo is off, I am not sure how much, approx. 10-20 kph at highway speeds. sunce it is a cable speedo, I was wondering if anyone knew what could cause it to be off, and therefore how to fix it?

Thanks

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a '99 vstar 650.

I have figured out that my speedo is off, I am not sure how much, approx. 10-20 kph at highway speeds. sunce it is a cable speedo, I was wondering if anyone knew what could cause it to be off, and therefore how to fix it?

Thanks

Craig

most speedos are off by a bit, they are set to be so you dont get tickets, but age doesnt help, i've got a 99 vstar 650 and its not very acuret either, if its only 10k out i wouldnt bother doing anything, did you use a satnav to judge it, one of my old bikes going 30 on the satnav said 39 on the speedo, and that was mph!!!

do you still have the original front wheel on it?

Wheel size influences the speedometer. A smaller front wheel will cause the speedo to indicate more than your actual speed, and vice versa.

peter

Hi Craig,

Is there one of those signs that gives your speed near you?

I drive by one of those when I am trying to check my speedometer accuracy.

On my Virago 250, the sign read 28 mph when my speedo said 30 mph.

Then I got a new front tire - now the signs says 29 mph when my speedo says 30 mph.

This way you will know how fast you are really going.

You can mark your speedo if you want with the correct speed - if 120 kph is really 100, then put a small sticker saying "100" over the 120