jammed screw

guyster1973uk
This post is 4687 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks i own a 06 ybr 125 i am trying to remove right hand side cover so i can get at the air filter to give the bike a complete service but the screw holding it on refuses to budge and the left hand clip that goes on to rubber at back of panel has been broken ( not by me ). anybody got any suggestions how to remove that screw and wheres best place to get new side panel colour matched to the bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

try using an impact driver... that usually does the job but if you plan to replace the side panel anyway yank the old one off to give you easier access to the offending screw

if its' a philips screw and everthing behind it is screwed into is solid then i would put som e wd40 on and put the screwdriver onto the screw ,hit the s/driver with a hammer gently first ,then try to undo if no luck repeat but using more hammer force each time providing, everything around the screw is solid enough to take the hammer impact

I've got this problem too, but the screw head it totally knackered and I can't get any purchase on it no matter what size of screwy I use, the head has been far too knarled up by the previous owner. I hear I'm gonna have to drill it out? I tried getting some pliers on it but just can't keep a grip.

If anyone's got any genius solutions I'd love to hear 'em though

Yep, stuck screws can be a pain.

I've tried penetrating oil, heat, tapping with a hammer (on the screw head, on the screwdriver and anywhere near the stuck bit, leaving if for a while, trying all that again. I found that some of my screwdrivers fit into a socket so can get a little more leverage while leaning on it (I'm sure that lots of people know that but I thought that was amazing when I found out - I should get out more). An impact driver would be really good but I haven't got one.

When the slots are suffed I try pliers on the head if I can get at it well enough. I've cut a new slot across the head and then if all else fails, I cut the head off with a dremel tool or angle grinder (reaaaally carefully). If the screw isn't too hard you can also drill the head off. Once the head's off the threaded bit usually comes out ok. You can also get little kits specifially for removing screws but I've never bothered.

After that, I clean the thread out with a tap if I can get to it ok and get a new screw/bolt.

Gordo :)

last chance saloon is to weld a nut on the screw head, this warms it up and lets you put a socket on it

I had the same problem on my bike.

The solution was to drill the head of the screw with a power drill. Then removed the cover. Once the cover is removed the rest of the unfortuned screw can be removed using pliers.

I had the same broken plastic pin on the right hand cover as well. It depends on how bad it is broken. I managed to stick a bolt on mine (M5 as I remember) and fixed that with a nut behind the rubber.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem, but managed to get the screw out without wrecking the head. The screw shaft and thread turned out to be corroded. I used a small wire brush to clean it up, put a dab of copper grease on the thread and wound it back in. It goes in and out a treat now.

Good constructive replies lads, nice to see , especialy from the new members. :rolleyes: lets hope to meet some of the newbees at aquires Y.O.C. MEET THIS YEAR,,B)

I'd definitely reccomend the cleaning and lube option, although that particular screw is in a ball-ache place to get in with brushes or see what you're doing.

I began with the rather laborious method of using a small length of hacksaw blade in some mole grips and trying to saw a new groove for a flathead screwy. After way too much time a did manage the cut but it still wasn't for budging so a mate just drilled it out for me. Drilled out some of the thread though, but luckily there's still enough to hold my new bolt.

Since then I've discovered the starter motor bolt in exactly the same condition, but this time the exhaust is in the way of getting any useful tools in :angry:

Oh, and the idle adjuster screw is also jammed and a little chewed from trying to crack it!

From now on, no matter how small the job, I reckon I'm gonna just lube any potential jammed screws (seemingly every one on the bike) over and over again for a day or so before attempting to loosen them!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online