Limp mirror on YBR 125

Badgerofmight
This post is 4707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I just got home most excited from the 50 mile ride back from purchasing my first bike, an '07 Yamaha YBR 125. The right mirror is fine, but when I bought the bike the guy said he had left it outside of college and when he came back to it the left mirror was limp on it's stalk. I don't think it's been dropped as there are no marks on the mirror itself, so he was either being straight with me or it's just corroded.

I took the rubber sleeve off the joint and the ball part of the joint has come away from the socket part, and it's a brownish rust colour inside. Is there any way to pull it apart and replace and worn parts inside the stalk (such as some sort of spring I'm guessing) or should I just cough up for a used replacement?

Any thoughts would be heartily welcome

Cheers, Dom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dom isnt there a nut of some sort to tighten it all up?

a pic would have helped ;)

You're right, pictures do usually help

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Apologies for the quality but I hope you'll get the gist. Where usually the ball sits in the socket snugly (a la pic 2), on my mirror the ball is hanging loose from the socket (as in pic 3).

I can't see any nut to tighten it, but I think the stalk is detached from whatever it is usually stuck to inside the head of the mirror. I wondered if there was any way to open up the head or get behind the glass so I can have a proper look?

You're right, pictures do usually help

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Apologies for the quality but I hope you'll get the gist. Where usually the ball sits in the socket snugly (a la pic 2), on my mirror the ball is hanging loose from the socket (as in pic 3).

I can't see any nut to tighten it, but I think the stalk is detached from whatever it is usually stuck to inside the head of the mirror. I wondered if there was any way to open up the head or get behind the glass so I can have a proper look?

yes I see what you mean, I expect if you try removing the glass by prying it will break, it buggered anyway so good luck and a bucket of boiling water to soften the plastic is what i'd try, it'l probably end up broken though...your call

yes I see what you mean, I expect if you try removing the glass by prying it will break, it buggered anyway so good luck and a bucket of boiling water to soften the plastic is what i'd try, it'l probably end up broken though...your call

Am sure that happened to my lads scooter mirror, and if I remember rightly, that top bit unscrews from the mirror and there'll be a nut behind it that you'll need to tighten up.

mate if i was you i wouldnt bother with a second hand one if you cant fix yours... brand new they are cheap as chips :D

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=yamaha+ybr125+mirror&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks for pointing that out canny lad. I've tried the hot water and bucket thing but it just doesn't wanna come apart. There's no sign of any useful nut so I'll just spring for a new one, didn't realise the price!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online