DT 175 MX Project

philmountains
This post is 4595 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi have moved my build to here as ,yes it,s still a project !

1st pic is after /before pic as shortly after taking pic ,I stripped back down as I could not for life remember if I hadtightenedd up bolts on a bearing retaining bracket :( thankfully there was enough of thesealantt left to do job it twice !!!!

EngineBuildUp001.jpg

Here we are today ,Cynic you were right take your time ,I would not have believed it would spend most of today in the garage :lol: there are bits here and bits there, that have to go " shit " before there, and it also helps to have a load of spare bits cos when they roll/fly off there ain't much chance in finding them in my garage.

Poss going to stop here need a new set of clutch plates ,and taken next Sat off work to go back to Rufforth auto jumble so might save some cash.

Also ordered/won a couple of aluminium gluing rods off ebay for a couple of quid so whilst off this week might tackle barrel crack B)

EngineBuildUp002.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking nice and shiny Phil, is that wire brush and elbow grease mate? or have you sprayed it with something as well? cos try as I do, I keep getting the clean but slightly tarnished look, for my engine. Keep us posted on how you get on with those aluminium filler rods btw, I've a couple of things I can put them to good use, oh and keep an eye out for that ball bearing that goes on the push rod for your clutch, their a bugger to find if you lose it, ;)

Looking nice and shiny Phil, is that wire brush and elbow grease mate? or have you sprayed it with something as well? cos try as I do, I keep getting the clean but slightly tarnished look, for my engine. Keep us posted on how you get on with those aluminium filler rods btw, I've a couple of things I can put them to good use, oh and keep an eye out for that ball bearing that goes on the push rod for your clutch, their a bugger to find if you lose it, ;)

Hi Nev ,it aint that shiny :lol: I was going to ask is there was any chemical cleaner that will get the black tarnish off I used wire wheel at work, but is a bit too fear,s if you get my drift, and you carnt get into all bits with it,yeh that bearing fell out when I was taking it apart, did wonder were the hell ? anyway :icon_idea: it came to me, and is nice and safe.

Thanks mate

You never know it might make the 2 stroke gathering :yeah:

Hi Nev ,it aint that shiny :lol: I was going to ask is there was any chemical cleaner that will get the black tarnish off I used wire wheel at work, but is a bit too fear,s if you get my drift, and you carnt get into all bits with it,yeh that bearing fell out when I was taking it apart, did wonder were the hell ? anyway :icon_idea: it came to me, and is nice and safe.

Thanks mate

You never know it might make the 2 stroke gathering :yeah:

Aye I've found that a grinderette with either a wire cup brush or wire wheel is a bit harsh on ally, but a wire cup or wheel on an electric drill can be a little more forgiving, was o.k doing my carb,and brings up an ally DEP pipe up a treat too.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye I've found that a grinderette with either a wire cup brush or wire wheel is a bit harsh on ally, but a wire cup or wheel on an electric drill can be a little more forgiving, was o.k doing my carb,and brings up an ally DEP pipe up a treat too.

Not been on comp much over last week "work",but still been working on DT,here are a couple of pics on repair of barrel using the Lumiweld type of rods ,got to say Nev fairly crap, glad only bought 2 rods,,not welding ,not soldering ,but on the fin sort of did the job :huh: but would no way stick to crack on exhaust port gave up with that and just bodged it .

Bought a can of PJ1 satin black from Rufforth last Sat,it did barrel, head and very skinily the side case out of 1 can, boy this paint is good, a hell of a lot better than anything else I have used, and its highly flammable so got to be good !!!!

also ordered a set of clutch plates so once they arrive will get back on with engine, still not checked out on bore/rings paul ,been too busy to find feeler guage LOL.

barreljob002.jpg

prepped up with a vee-ish root

barreljob005.jpg

once ground down did not look too bad.

Not been on comp much over last week "work",but still been working on DT,here are a couple of pics on repair of barrel using the Lumiweld type of rods ,got to say Nev fairly crap, glad only bought 2 rods,,not welding ,not soldering ,but on the fin sort of did the job :huh: but would no way stick to crack on exhaust port gave up with that and just bodged it .

Bought a can of PJ1 satin black from Rufforth last Sat,it did barrel, head and very skinily the side case out of 1 can, boy this paint is good, a hell of a lot better than anything else I have used, and its highly flammable so got to be good !!!!

also ordered a set of clutch plates so once they arrive will get back on with engine, still not checked out on bore/rings paul ,been too busy to find feeler guage LOL.

Coming on a treat Phil, glad you didn't get fleeced and go for the 5 rods then, unless you're short of 3 tent pegs, that is ;)

That PJ1 black spray paint for the engine, is it an enamel? can't say I've seen it used, but if it's as good as you say might be worth investing in some, been using plasti-kote BBQ black gloss finish as a heat resistant paint, but Homebase near me has packed up stocking it. Done sod all with my bike this week, as I'm laid up on the settee with a chipped bone in my left foot, from tripping and falling through the open french doors on Sunday, like a twat :rolleyes:

Keep us up todate with your bike mate, like you say it might be done for YOC meet, all being well.

Ohhhhh I bet that hurt , Ive never bust a bone yet :huh: I just bounce , are you catching up with Bargin Hunt etc then Nev......... :offtopic:

yeh I reckon that the PJ1 paint is good stuff ,not cheap though get it at Rufforth for 6.50 a can, cheapest Ebay is 8.50 from Yambits Item number: 230629394908, not sure if its enamel, but its not water based so that must be good.

There was a bloke at Rufforth flogging a old green DT 360 in good nick, didnt see price though, bet it was a good buy.

Hope the bone sets soon Nev all the best with that.

Phil

Ohhhhh I bet that hurt , Ive never bust a bone yet :huh: I just bounce , are you catching up with Bargin Hunt etc then Nev......... :offtopic:

yeh I reckon that the PJ1 paint is good stuff ,not cheap though get it at Rufforth for 6.50 a can, cheapest Ebay is 8.50 from Yambits Item number: 230629394908, not sure if its enamel, but its not water based so that must be good.

There was a bloke at Rufforth flogging a old green DT 360 in good nick, didnt see price though, bet it was a good buy.

Hope the bone sets soon Nev all the best with that.

Phil

Aye did do a bit, am at hobbling stage at the min, have had Comfry poltice on it all week, (AKA Knitbone, an old gipsy trick) hoping to get out on with bike Sunday, strip top end of engine, still waiting to hear from chappy about loom, are you putting laquer ontop of the black on your engine, btw? I'll have a look on o boy, for that PJ1 stuff, must say I've read that the PJ1 chain lube is pretty decent gear.

Raight must go, I've got jeremy kyle on virgin demand, I gotta watch before tomorrow, :blink:

good luck wi project, plenty pics btw

Well hit the wall a bit yesterday :( like a silly boy I thought I just needed a new set of rings then I used Paul,s advise and did the measurements check.

Piston Skirt is around .15mmm should be around 0.040

piston ring end gap ???? too bloody big to bother measuring :o

piston ring groove gap

top groove 0.06 would have been OK with this

bottom 0.05 /0.06 still Ok

why the hell didnt I check this out earlier !

any advise /rebore garages appreciated

Phil

Thanks boys for your help will poss go with the garage in Derbyshire as closest, a few years back there would have been loads more local to me :( , Took other barrel to work today and guess what just the same around .15 ! this one needs welding as well at the bottom of barrel, the one I stupidly did the lumiweld job to I am not that happy with either, fins arn,t that straight and bodged 8 to 6 mm studs so <_<.

built clutch up this afternoon and that seems OK, do you know torque for bolts on basket only mentioned clutch nut in manual ?

Thanks again for your help

Phil

I never bothered with toque setting here, always just nipped them up, the wind direction of the springs would stop them unscrewing also.

Paul just a bit botherd I,m a bit too ham fisted if you get my drift :lol:

Paul just a bit botherd I,m a bit too ham fisted if you get my drift :lol:

Book for 125 says 6Nm, 0.6m-kg, 4.3 ft-lb, presuming same for yours Phil ;)

Thanks Nev ,how,s it going still laid up ? did you get anything done to bike this weekend?

ohh did have a bit of good news on Sat applied for V5 for another DT175 frame I have, only had a couple of old tax discs well after nearly 2 months and a phone call to the DVLA looks like it,s on it,s way :lol:

Thanks Nev ,how,s it going still laid up ? did you get anything done to bike this weekend?

ohh did have a bit of good news on Sat applied for V5 for another DT175 frame I have, only had a couple of old tax discs well after nearly 2 months and a phone call to the DVLA looks like it,s on it,s way :lol:

Nah, bugger all, mind you weathers been pretty sh*tty down here too.

Good to hear you've got the V5 sorted for the other frame, I really need to get my arse in gear and start on sorting the V62 so I can get a V5 for the XT, it's a must, that I keep that original frame, from what I understand the XT was first started in 82, which mine is, and the frame is number 007, so presumably mine must be the seventh off the production line.

Aye and ditto what OG said on getting a rebore on your barrel, Mitaka piston, and use a genuine Yam head gasket, I hear pattern stuff just isn't up to the mark.

All the breast Nev ;)

Nah, bugger all, mind you weathers been pretty sh*tty down here too.

Good to hear you've got the V5 sorted for the other frame, I really need to get my arse in gear and start on sorting the V62 so I can get a V5 for the XT, it's a must, that I keep that original frame, from what I understand the XT was first started in 82, which mine is, and the frame is number 007, so presumably mine must be the seventh off the production line.

Aye and ditto what OG said on getting a rebore on your barrel, Mitaka piston, and use a genuine Yam head gasket, I hear pattern stuff just isn't up to the mark.

All the breast Nev ;)

Hi Nev the V62 bit was easy and there last record of that bike was in 92, its got to be worth £25.00 mind you I have not got mine yet and the reason taking so long is the No,s I gave which is damm hard to make out on the frame, did not match there comp one, I think it,s the 2K bit anyway will see when it turns up,

XT 125 B) yeh another of those bikes from our youth, good looking little bike I realy wanted the RD 125 LC in 82 but cos they came in at over 12bhp ended up buying a CB125 td the first one with pro link rear suspension ! that was the last Honda i have ever owned :o must say went all over on it Scotland, wales,and a full year to college it was a right old mess by the time I part x for a Z400 ahhhh the sweet smell of youth

Engine job a bit on hold ,dont realy want to spend a load of cash on these barrels , they are all a bit buggered, and of to Florida with kids and the Dragon in 3 weeks so cash tight, and plan is to try and get some DT parts over there, will see !

All the best Phil

Hi Nev the V62 bit was easy and there last record of that bike was in 92, its got to be worth £25.00 mind you I have not got mine yet and the reason taking so long is the No,s I gave which is damm hard to make out on the frame, did not match there comp one, I think it,s the 2K bit anyway will see when it turns up,

XT 125 B) yeh another of those bikes from our youth, good looking little bike I realy wanted the RD 125 LC in 82 but cos they came in at over 12bhp ended up buying a CB125 td the first one with pro link rear suspension ! that was the last Honda i have ever owned :o must say went all over on it Scotland, wales,and a full year to college it was a right old mess by the time I part x for a Z400 ahhhh the sweet smell of youth

Engine job a bit on hold ,dont realy want to spend a load of cash on these barrels , they are all a bit buggered, and of to Florida with kids and the Dragon in 3 weeks so cash tight, and plan is to try and get some DT parts over there, will see !

All the best Phil

Aye, I reckon you'll be very popular with the missus, dragging her,and the kids, around all the autojumbles over there, :rolleyes: they can be massive,have been to a couple in upstate NY, and if you can sift through all the HD stuff, you'll deffinately bag some bargains ;) A fair few bikers go to the drag racing they do over there in Florida too, maybe another source for parts? ;)

Update on the wiring loom btw, the bloke rang me back earlier and is quoting £140, I might as well go Yamaha at that price, infact am thinking of looking at making my own, by getting some 4ftx4ft hardboard, nails, string, felt tips,et al(think london underground map) and coming up with some sort of jig, I still have the old one, for reference, even if it is a bit manky, I reckon on about £70 quid should be somewhere near,by doing it mesen.

Couple of the needle bearings have popped out on the swing arm today, so I've decided to get them replaced, sods law means they're stuck fast, and the powdercoating dictates no heat, so I've filled two sandwich bags up with coca-cola to cable tied onto the swingarm, will be giving them a couple of days soak,I'll let you know how this goes, it's worked for me in the past ;)

All the best Nev

Aye, I reckon you'll be very popular with the missus, dragging her,and the kids, around all the autojumbles over there, :rolleyes: they can be massive,have been to a couple in upstate NY, and if you can sift through all the HD stuff, you'll deffinately bag some bargains ;) A fair few bikers go to the drag racing they do over there in Florida too, maybe another source for parts? ;)

Update on the wiring loom btw, the bloke rang me back earlier and is quoting £140, I might as well go Yamaha at that price, infact am thinking of looking at making my own, by getting some 4ftx4ft hardboard, nails, string, felt tips,et al(think london underground map) and coming up with some sort of jig, I still have the old one, for reference, even if it is a bit manky, I reckon on about £70 quid should be somewhere near,by doing it mesen.

Couple of the needle bearings have popped out on the swing arm today, so I've decided to get them replaced, sods law means they're stuck fast, and the powdercoating dictates no heat, so I've filled two sandwich bags up with coca-cola to cable tied onto the swingarm, will be giving them a couple of days soak,I'll let you know how this goes, it's worked for me in the past ;)

All the best Nev

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online