DT 175 MX Project

philmountains
This post is 4595 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Nev Re- your loom yeh that,s dear, The other day was messing around with my loom and found it,s easy to get the multi block connectors in bits , just leaving the pins for the bayonet connectors ,I did,nt mannage to open up the old male coonectors so just soldererd to them ,I reckon that the multi block connectors would be the hardest bits to find with them sorted and having the old loom to copy ,dont think wire etc.. would be that dear ,or hard to get hold of :D

Staying in Daytona for 1st week,then Clermont the second, and was hoping there would be what they call a swap meet/autojumble the only 1 I can find is on the weekend before we get there :( there is one in Kissimee but like you mentioned it looks like a hogs only type of thing ,going to try ebay out there, and breakers I did find beakers with what looks like good forks etc.. but like a couple of days drive away and 30000 miles LOL ,and as for missus they conned me into going there last year as it was supposed to be cheaper than going to Spain, "NO BLOODY WAY" well this time getting the bits for the DT was the main reason they persuaded into going back its costing a quarter of my years wage :o but reckon this will be last, as daughter is 19 soon and lad is 17 surely they won,t want a family hol for much longer !!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nev Re- your loom yeh that,s dear, The other day was messing around with my loom and found it,s easy to get the multi block connectors in bits , just leaving the pins for the bayonet connectors ,I did,nt mannage to open up the old male coonectors so just soldererd to them ,I reckon that the multi block connectors would be the hardest bits to find with them sorted and having the old loom to copy ,dont think wire etc.. would be that dear ,or hard to get hold of :D

Staying in Daytona for 1st week,then Clermont the second, and was hoping there would be what they call a swap meet/autojumble the only 1 I can find is on the weekend before we get there :( there is one in Kissimee but like you mentioned it looks like a hogs only type of thing ,going to try ebay out there, and breakers I did find beakers with what looks like good forks etc.. but like a couple of days drive away and 30000 miles LOL ,and as for missus they conned me into going there last year as it was supposed to be cheaper than going to Spain, "NO BLOODY WAY" well this time getting the bits for the DT was the main reason they persuaded into going back its costing a quarter of my years wage :o but reckon this will be last, as daughter is 19 soon and lad is 17 surely they won,t want a family hol for much longer !!!!

Phil,

Took a different tack with the loom yesterday, seeing as how it was so caked with oil, and roadcrap, I thought I would give it a good soaking in a parafin bath, mainly because half the wires wire so covered in stuff you couldn't tell what colour they were, so after soaking for an hour or so and giving it a good scrubbing, stripped all the black wrapping tape off it, and cable tied it as I went, so as to keep it's shape, found out that the wiring is in pretty good nick, the terminals and block connectors have definately got to be changed mind, they're well beyond saving, another thing I found, was that where the same coloured wires are connected via a single bare crimp, (two, or three wires to one wire etc)they were just wrapped with insulation tape, obviously done before shrink tubing, but again all bare wires looked like new, so have ordered some crimps, shrink tubing,and terminals, and a couple of rolls of black insulation tape,and an afternoon on it should have it looking like new, glad it's come out like this, instead of making up my own loom, as they tell me I'm colour blind on reds and greens, that would've been fun ey? :rolleyes: I'll put some pics up on my profile, seeing as I'm hijacking your thread, enough here ;) Oh btw, the swingarm bearings have been soaked in coca-cola, for the last couple of days now, so tomorrow I'm gunna have a go at those.

Nev.

NEV I understand you should wrap the loom in loom tape, it has no adhesive so allows the cable to be formed into shape...just tape at the end.

Cheers OG, tell ya what, I never knew that, ta, ;) hopefully I can get some on fleabay.

NEVS Wiring Loom.... I still have the old one, for reference, even if it is a bit manky, I reckon on about £70 quid should be somewhere near,by doing it myself.

Nev its a lot cheaper to buy a new one and fit it straight on,

see this other thread for details, look for my post on page 2 and the links to ebay should still be valid, but they're under £50 new. thats a £20 saving and that doesn't include your time in making it!!

DT175MX Electrics

Nev its a lot cheaper to buy a new one and fit it straight on,

see this other thread for details, look for my post on page 2 and the links to ebay should still be valid, but they're under £50 new. thats a £20 saving and that doesn't include your time in making it!!

DT175MX Electrics

Cheers NE0, I've looked at that German site, and will deffinately bookmark it,and if it was just a case of replacing a frizzled loom, and nothing else, I'd have probably gone your way and bought one, banged it in and back on the road again, but in my case of it being a project/renovation, theres an umpteen number of parts I need to be replacing, and therefore it's a case of prioritizing, and juggling finances, also seeing what can be done myself,to save a few bob, as I've not even got around to sorting out the engine yet, and am looking at at least £200 on getting that up to scratch, and the more I'm spending on the project, the bigger chance of me getting deaf and dumb sandwiches off her indoors. ;)

Plus I've gone past the point of no return, with the loom, as I've cleaned and stripped it of all the wrapping tape, including the internal junctions, pinned it down onto a 6 foot, strip of wood, so as to keep it's shape. I've also mapped all the wiring,onto the comp, using microsoft paint, for future reference, and it really does look like a london underground map. The loom itself after being cleaned, looks in fine fettle, so I've ordered new shrink wrap crimps, (for the internal junctions), shrinkwrap tubing of various sizes, new full set of terminals, PROPER loom wrapping tape (cheers OG)and 12mm cable tidy, all for around the £30 quid mark. Luckily one thing I do have a fair bit of is time, and I'll be taking some time on it so as not to bugger owt up, but my reckoning is that by this time next week I hope to have it all finished and back on the frame, looking brand spanking B)

I'll bang some pics of where I am at so far, regarding the loom, on my own project thread,(sorry again Phil for hijacking your thread again mate ;) ) just in case theres others out there in the same boat, and are maybe thinking about re-furbishing their own looms :)

German site? :blink:

I think you're looking at the wrong post, mine was links to ebay for Yuniparts and Yambits wiring looms at £46 mark :lol:

Ah right, yep have already rang up Yuniparts and Yambits, and they tell me they don't make looms for my year bike, mainly up to 80's stuff, shame too, because like you say, they are around the £50 quid mark, and the cheapest I've found new for mine is £140 from Yamaha.

Ah right, yep have already rang up Yuniparts and Yambits, and they tell me they don't make looms for my year bike, mainly up to 80's stuff, shame too, because like you say, they are around the £50 quid mark, and the cheapest I've found new for mine is £140 from Yamaha.

Nev no prob at all using this thread, as long as you get some feedback to your probs that, what counts mate B)

:offtopic: Nev can you reccommend a good Tig coded pipe welding course ,looks like job realy under threat ,Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!

Also have a bit of a prob with oil pump, the one I have fitted has a plastic stop/guide fitted the other 2 I have don,t the 1 fitted is the original 1 that came with the bike LOL bits, the prob is with this guide fitted you only get a small amount of movement on the spindle before it hits the stop ? is that correct ? this is all new to me so dont know how to go with it would appeciate some advise please.

Thanks again Phil

dtoilpump001.jpg

Thanks Paul I did not fit it it looks factory fit ? easy to take off though, did not think it was right that there was no /little movement lets see if we can find out some more ;)

Thanks Phil

Thanks Paul I did not fit it it looks factory fit ? easy to take off though, did not think it was right that there was no /little movement lets see if we can find out some more ;)

Thanks Phil

hi

i have one of those on my 175,cable goes through the square cut out,mine works o.k. without hitting plastic guide.no idea why they were fitted?

hi

i have one of those on my 175,cable goes through the square cut out,mine works o.k. without hitting plastic guide.no idea why they were fitted?

Got the V5 today for other DT frame I have matching numbers to the Engine I am rebuilding,however as I thought might happen has :blink: the number on V5 is not complete thats why it has taken so long to get, I put down full 2K number and person who reged it for 1st time only put numbers down .

Do you think its worth the agro etc.. to try and get them to include the 2k ?

Your the one who's got to explain the error if some snotty copper fresh out of school gets the hump. I'd say its def worth the hassle as technically the document don't match the vehicle.

Your the one who's got to explain the error if some snotty copper fresh out of school gets the hump. I'd say its def worth the hassle as technically the document don't match the vehicle.

Thanks Cynic will try and give them a ring tommorow ,takes ages to get through, and you can bet they wont do anything "THE COMPUTER SAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,and they sat on it for weeks cos the number I put on form was longer than the one they had.

I must say was a bit surprised its had 13 owners and last recorded owner owner on V5 was from Northolt, Middlesex yet I bought it from a bloke in Carlisle Cumbria were it was rusting away in his mothers shed for years, and I have a couple of old tax discs which also were issued in 1992 in Cumbria, its all a bit of a mistery hunt :huh: but getting a V5 is a good start ay !

Thanks Cynic will try and give them a ring tommorow ,takes ages to get through, and you can bet they wont do anything "THE COMPUTER SAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,and they sat on it for weeks cos the number I put on form was longer than the one they had.

I must say was a bit surprised its had 13 owners and last recorded owner owner on V5 was from Northolt, Middlesex yet I bought it from a bloke in Carlisle Cumbria were it was rusting away in his mothers shed for years, and I have a couple of old tax discs which also were issued in 1992 in Cumbria, its all a bit of a mistery hunt :huh: but getting a V5 is a good start ay !

A update Re- V5 rang DVLA today and need to resend V5 with changes to engine/frame Nos with pics to prove,seeing as this frame aint going anyware soon, have just sorn it and will go down this route later, the fact that have a V5 now is the main thing.

Hi just a thought and a brain rummage for you guys ,Been looking for another barrel for my 175 MX missed one by secconds other day on ebay Bollocks !anyway the thought came :huh: would a IT 175 MX barrel fit ? head looks different as do reeds what about base bolts,

I have read someware that they were better barrels ?the bigger reeds might be something to do with this

Bye for now

Phil

After more checking the carb looks loads bigger ,more ports.base mounting bolts more of, don,t know about PCD, am sure I read of this barrel being fit ?

Hi just a thought and a brain rummage for you guys ,Been looking for another barrel for my 175 MX missed one by secconds other day on ebay Bollocks !anyway the thought came :huh: would a IT 175 MX barrel fit ? head looks different as do reeds what about base bolts,

I have read someware that they were better barrels ?the bigger reeds might be something to do with this

Bye for now

Phil

After more checking the carb looks loads bigger ,more ports.base mounting bolts more of, don,t know about PCD, am sure I read of this barrel being fit ?

Right I no this might be a bit of a No No to you purist,s out there but got a good deal on some bits in US" without ebay !!!!!the thing is the forks are the US type leading,but no rust and $35 are they the same diameter ?and wht do you guys think ?

• 1 month later...

Hi Boys Im back,had a couple of crap months due to job interviews, work, and Cameron :offtopic: anyway have started doing a bit more to the DT and have made another balls up and need a bit of advise please !!!!!! I used a pipe cleanining rod to clean the inside of my Expansion chamber and it bust off inside the can(shit ) have tried to heat whole exhaust(oxy acetylene) up to burn off the bristles off but can hear nothing moving I am worried that if I dont get it out it will restrict the bike ? any suggestions appreciated trying not to have to cut and weld if poss.

PS will be posting development,s soon as my recent US DT parts are the best oh :huh: thats if you dont count the DT 175 MX barrel and piston on 1st bore that turned out to be a 125 :( full refund given, and have just got another localy for £15.00 not the best but might be a little better than I have ,I have 4 barrels now boo

All the best boys

and Nev still reviewing my options ( my on line welding life Guru)

Phil

Hi Boys Im back,had a couple of crap months due to job interviews, work, and Cameron :offtopic: anyway have started doing a bit more to the DT and have made another balls up and need a bit of advise please !!!!!! I used a pipe cleanining rod to clean the inside of my Expansion chamber and it bust off inside the can(shit ) have tried to heat whole exhaust(oxy acetylene) up to burn off the bristles off but can hear nothing moving I am worried that if I dont get it out it will restrict the bike ? any suggestions appreciated trying not to have to cut and weld if poss.

PS will be posting development,s soon as my recent US DT parts are the best oh :huh: thats if you dont count the DT 175 MX barrel and piston on 1st bore that turned out to be a 125 :( full refund given, and have just got another localy for £15.00 not the best but might be a little better than I have ,I have 4 barrels now boo

All the best boys

and Nev still reviewing my options ( my on line welding life Guru)

Phil

My mate once had a 4 barrel holly, seems you got a 4 barrel holy shit :blink:

Right suggestion time mate, get yersen down to your local pound shop, and look around for a grabber, I'll explain, it's about 2 foot long looks like the metal cable bit on a pushbike brake cable, without the plastic covering, very bendy bendy, and at the end you have 3 or sometimes 4 tine grabby type thingy's that come out when, you press a thingy at the top, I got one in my garage but canna be arsed to take a piccy of it, but I'm sure you know what I mean :blink: very useful for any dropped screws ,nuts in awkward places, try sending that down the exhaust pipe, it might work, if not you need one anyway, for said dropped screws and nuts etc, and at a pound canna grumble.

As for the spray booth, I reckon theres a decent mark up at any car boot sale, buy as a greenhouse for £30 bang out for £50 as a multipurpose paint spray/ sandblast booth, this time next year Rodney ;) or were you on about the spray booth mark 1? yes I know its a duvet cover, but an old one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online