Essential YBR Toolkit

Badgerofmight
This post is 4685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

I'm a new owner of a '07 ybr 125, my first bike, and oh so excited. I'm keen to get involved and perform as much of the maintenance and servicing as possible myself. Apologies if this has come up before, but I would really appreciate it if people can give their opinions on this question.

What are are the basic tools I should have to hand to make the essential ybr toolbox? What tools have you found indispensible, or are there any jobs that I'll never be able to do because the tools simply aren't available to me?

I look forward to your suggestions

Cheers, Dom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

.......................Oh and a RAC card for recovery if you puncture.

+1 for that (other recovery services are available). A credit card a box of fags and lighter, a bottle opener, a charged mobile phone a quality multitool .................................... oh and one of those things that get stones out of horses shoes ;)

Awesome, thanks for the stuff so far. Looks like I'm doing well, I've got most of those criteria covered already(except maybe the horseshoe thing, I have to admit I hadn't considered that but I can imagine where that's gonna be valuable).

Err..... what *do* I have in my toolkit? Trying to remember, now!!

Halfords do excellent tools at reasonable prices:

Socket set

Set of spanners (open at one end, ringed at the other).

Screwdriver set - One with the range of diferent sized heads

Smallish plastic or rubber mallet

Pliers - Needlenose and flatnose

Allen key set

Soldering iron - Get a decent gas-powered one.

Plastic or rubber gloves (go change your oil and you'll understand)

Rags - cotton are best, use old tea towels, shirts etc.

A torque wrench is a good investment. Get the best you can afford.

Swarfega - Or use a few squirts of Fairy liquid with a teaspoon of sugar ;)

Err..... what *do* I have in my toolkit? Trying to remember, now!!

Halfords do excellent tools at reasonable prices:

Socket set

Set of spanners (open at one end, ringed at the other).

Screwdriver set - One with the range of diferent sized heads

Smallish plastic or rubber mallet

Pliers - Needlenose and flatnose

Allen key set

Soldering iron - Get a decent gas-powered one.

Plastic or rubber gloves (go change your oil and you'll understand)

Rags - cotton are best, use old tea towels, shirts etc.

A torque wrench is a good investment. Get the best you can afford.

Swarfega - Or use a few squirts of Fairy liquid with a teaspoon of sugar ;)

Nice one Ttaskmaster, that's just the sort of info I'm after. Out of interest, The haynes manual for the YBR specifies exact torques for certain bolts and fastenings, is this what a torque wrench enable you to measure, or do you need a separate quage? (Please forgive my ignorance, what I always thought of as a torque wrench I think might merely be a ratchet)

Out of interest, The haynes manual for the YBR specifies exact torques for certain bolts and fastenings, is this what a torque wrench enable you to measure,

Precisely.

Or near enough, anyway.

You set the wrench handle to the torque measurement specified in the manual. Usually the end grip or a collar turns until the rim reaches the required number on a scale up the side.

Then you just affix the normal socket and tighten up the bolt. As it gets tighter you slowly apply greater pressure.

When it reaches the exact torque you dialled in, the wrench will go CLICK - It's audible and something you will feel.

Try it out on a very low setting to start with, so you can see/feel what I mean. 5 should do it.

Precisely.

Or near enough, anyway.

You set the wrench handle to the torque measurement specified in the manual. Usually the end grip or a collar turns until the rim reaches the required number on a scale up the side.

Then you just affix the normal socket and tighten up the bolt. As it gets tighter you slowly apply greater pressure.

When it reaches the exact torque you dialled in, the wrench will go CLICK - It's audible and something you will feel.

Try it out on a very low setting to start with, so you can see/feel what I mean. 5 should do it.

Thanks again, I just did a bit of research and apparently the Halfords professional torque wrench is pretty good value for a pauper such as myself.

Since you seem like a helpful sort, I wonder whether I could ask you to cast your eye over my question on solvents? (just below this one in the workshop section).

I'm going to go into town shortly to get said torque wrench, and some oil for a change but I also want to clean the engine up so I can tell whether my plan to change the gear shift shaft seal works on stopping the current oil leak. It'd be great if I could pick up the idal solvent to help me do this as I'm all for elbow grease, but a little helping hand witht he engine grease wouldn't go amiss :)

As per advice given in your other thread. Not much to add to that, really.