My 1992 YAMAHA DT125R PROJECT

NEV
This post is 3139 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I hope all's well tommorow Nev, you are getting on great with her, the mini head lights looked realy mean, shame you cud'nt keep it on, saying that your going to end up with a fantastic bike how the hell are you going to keep it clean LOL.

All the best mate

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Phil, no parcel yet, hopefully here about dinner time, and aye, those headlights were nice but wouldn't allow the clocks on properly, but am thinking of doctoring them somehow, so that they sit underneath the main headlight, between the front mudguard, as come November time and it getting dark about 4 ish, the back roads around here, with their built up banking, and trees forming a roof, you need as much light as you can throw infront of yourself, so I'll try and wire them as auxillary lights, or full beam, not sure yet. If all goes well with the new stator, and she starts up like she did the other day,I'll try and bang a short vid up here, so you can hear that stubby, sounds really nice.

Thanks for the update on the indicators :) I'm going to post on my project page about the ongoing struggle with them!

It lives!!!!!!!,

Finally got the replacement stator plate yesterday, why the chap decided to cut off all the terminals, I'll never know, it would've taken about 2 minutes to unplug it all, instead of cutting them off, anyhoo, after a good soldering session last night, I put it all back together again this morning, kicked her over and, well hear for yourself.

Just taken a decibel reading, peaked at 100db, but averaging 63db, anyone know what the allowed db limit is ?

sounds awesome :biglaugha: cant find anything other than guides for decibel (96-100),the bit you do need to be legal is the stamped british standard code.... think it was on the bit you cut off :crazy: dont know hard it is to re-stamp it? or to engrave with a dremel? :eusa_whistle:

sounds awesome :biglaugha: cant find anything other than guides for decibel (96-100),the bit you do need to be legal is the stamped british standard code.... think it was on the bit you cut off :crazy: dont know hard it is to re-stamp it? or to engrave with a dremel? :eusa_whistle:

Cheers for that Dave, I'll dig out the piece I cut off, see whats on that, I've got some 6mm letter stamps, I can re-stamp onto the stubby.

Sounds Spot on! 3 more bike nights left ;) will it be ready

Ta Jack, just need to sort the brake hoses out next, then it'll be finished, did you manage to nip over to HEL? and see if they can supply the braided ones? oh aye, with stainless ends, and 4 stainless banjo bolts as well if they supply them.

Nev

Sounds great NEV, shame I can't smell it :eusa_clap:

Lol, OG, didn't you get enough of a fix of 2t smoke smell last weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got it all finished, bar some little bits and bobs, (idling needs sorting, touching up with paint here and there), but rode it up the driveway, into the garage.

From here in March.

resizedis.jpg

To here now.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/img0252al.jpg/]img0252al.jpg

img0254aq.jpg

img0255a.jpg

Cheers OG, you've been a big help along the way mate, now then, whaddya know about old school xt125's :eusa_whistle:

Brilliant! Lovely journey to follow through the thread there Nev, and whats more some really useful stuff in there too! Nice one NEV she looks an effing beaut! Hopefully i'll be able to get some more done on the dt200 now my friend has given up on his NS125. Stay tuned!

Thanks lads for the comments, it's been a real labour of love i'll tell ya, I'd originally thought I'd have it back on the road for the end of July, how wrong was I,

I do hope though, that it's inspired people to have a go at doing a renovation project, it CAN be done on a shoestring budget, but just takes a little bit longer, that's all, luckily for me I had a bike to sell, so I could finance the project, so ploughed that into mine.

Due to all the projects that are being undertaken in the forum, theres more than enough info on how to go about doing stuff, and just posting questions in threads will have lads more than willing to help, I also look forward to seeing how others get their bikes looking, the before and after pics are great to see, as these old bikes deserve more than to become rusting old field bikes.

Still having idling issues with mine, but hopefully that should be sorted out this weekend, then I can get her back on the road, oh aye, and have still got to change the front wheel to an 18" so it will be a supermoto, as I need the bike to be more for road riding, than off road enduro, but that can be done at leisure, although I will put some pics up when I have done it.

My next project is an old 82 xt 125j, now that is in a mess, but hopefully it'll end up just like it came out the factory , it's important that I try keeping it as standard as possible as its number 7 off the off the production line, and more than likely I'll need to be needing help with that too, with it being a 4 stroke, and haven't needed to work on one of them, in nigh on over 30 years.

Cheers Nev

To put it simply, wow. I hope others follow this thread from start to finish as you've truly shown what can be done by investing time and money into something worthwhile. You've certainly encouraged me to put a little bit more into my project so I hope this inspires others to follow suit. Thanks for a great thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

Needed to bleed the brakes again today, and seeing as how theres a few people have problems when they come to bleed theirs, I thought I'd put a couple of pics up of my syringe gizmo, that I use, much much easier, less messy, and a darn sight quicker.

You'll need a large syringe(60ml) and some 5mm I.D transparent tubing,(about 6")

Make sure the tubing is sealed onto the end of the syringe, as this insulating tape seal forms a vaccum, when pumping the brake lever.

img0298vi.jpg

img0299c.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well I've finally got round to the second stage of my project which is to SuperMoto it, have managed to find a set of Paoli TDR forks, Brembo front caliper, and a set of TDR stainless spoked wheels, 18" front 17" rear, I'll use the 17" rear till I can sort out and powdercoat an 18" rim and hub, then lace it up with some stainless spokes.

Picking it all up end of the month from Bristol. From what I gather I just have to sort out a speedo cable as the DT one is different to the TDR one at the speedo drive. The chap flogging it says it's got decent Dunlop Arrow Max tyres on the wheels, has anybody used these type on their bike? or do I need to source some other better tyres?

td125frontwheel.jpg

tdrbrembofrontbrake.jpg

tdrpaoliforks.jpg

Cheers Nev

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online