My 1992 YAMAHA DT125R PROJECT

NEV
This post is 3118 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking real good Nev. Brilliant Job on that DEP! Might have to bring down a couple for you to have a crack at :)

Cheers Jack, aye bring 'em down, I need you to look at a couple of things on the bike anyroad, and try and bring Craig with you too, I need him to have a look at the Speedfight, as I canna get it running right. Our Loz and Neil came over last night, I think Neil now might be toying with the same colour scheme for his R6, he seemed pretty impressed, and our Loz is working on a cracking design for the tank, and if she can pull it off, either get her to airbrush it or get Neil to make some vinyls for it, not sure yet. Rang CMS in Plymouth about doing the 2.4mm overbore, and gas flowing,was very impressed with their prices, so I'll drop the engine off with them when I get chance, hopefully next week some time.

Still looking for a bracket for the Brembo conversion, so I can keep the same forks, don't know if your mate that flogged his sumo the other week has one knocking around, do you?

Hi, nev. Brilliant thread! Will be back to read more later! Just a quick one. What did you use to paint the engine? I'm looking at restoring my Yamaha DT200WR. I love the idea of the T cut and the wire brush i will do my DEP pipe with this tonight maybe!

Andy

Hi, nev. Brilliant thread! Will be back to read more later! Just a quick one. What did you use to paint the engine? I'm looking at restoring my Yamaha DT200WR. I love the idea of the T cut and the wire brush i will do my DEP pipe with this tonight maybe!

Andy

Cheers for that Andy, the engine itself is just cleaned down with parafin,and a rotary wire brush on a drill, but the barrel, cylinder head and plastic clutch and flywheel casings are all done with a can of Hycote Aluminium Coat spray, I bought from a place called Trago Mills local to me, although Halfrauds do sell it but at twice the price :blink:

When polishing up the DEP end can put lashings of T-Cut onto it let it dry then buff off with a drill and sheepskin buffer pad, don't worry if it goes black either, just part of the process. Good luck with it and hope you have as much fun doing your project too, believe me it's a proper journey, lol

P.S a little tip when doing your project, use your camera/ phone to take as many pics of stuff before taking things off it, as it helps for when putting bits back on again a few months later.

The Renthal Twin Wall conversion kit came today, and fitted, hopefully I've put them on correctly, with them facing inwards and not facing outwards, as didn't come with any fitting instructions.

img0151azq.jpg

As we can see this has raised the bars slightly, hope there's no price to pay regarding cable lengths but it's not much of a raise is it.

Aye OG had the same problem when I put the Paris Dakar bars onto the Rieju,luckily mind it was just the clutch cable I had to buy, £14 quid off e-bay for a universal cable you chop down and make to suit.

Cheers for that Andy, the engine itself is just cleaned down with parafin,and a rotary wire brush on a drill, but the barrel, cylinder head and plastic clutch and flywheel casings are all done with a can of Hycote Aluminium Coat spray, I bought from a place called Trago Mills local to me, although Halfrauds do sell it but at twice the price :blink:

When polishing up the DEP end can put lashings of T-Cut onto it let it dry then buff off with a drill and sheepskin buffer pad, don't worry if it goes black either, just part of the process. Good luck with it and hope you have as much fun doing your project too, believe me it's a proper journey, lol

P.S a little tip when doing your project, use your camera/ phone to take as many pics of stuff before taking things off it, as it helps for when putting bits back on again a few months later.

Thanks Nev! Did you take it all back to metal/plastic or just clean up and spray the Hycote Aluminium Coat spray over the top? Did you not get loads of scratch marks on the pipe from the use of the wire brush? I'm gonna go and play now!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/original26.jpg/

There's a photo of the bike as it stands.

Thanks Nev! Did you take it all back to metal/plastic or just clean up and spray the Hycote Aluminium Coat spray over the top? Did you not get loads of scratch marks on the pipe from the use of the wire brush? I'm gonna go and play now!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/original26.jpg/

There's a photo of the bike as it stands.

Nice looking bike Andy, just looks like it needs tickling up, unless it was like mine when I first bought it, looked o.k on the outside, but the panels and stuff hid a multitude of sins, only finding all the rust and road crap, when I'd got it all stripped bare.

For the engine cover plastics I put on a couple of coats of grey plastic primer first, then sprayed with the Aluminium coat, quick drying stuff, gave 3 coats of that, on the metal casing, just sprayed straight onto it, again 3 coats.

With wirebrushing the pipe, I used the electric drill with brass wire cups and wheel fitments, a much more foregiving than using a 4" grinderette with steel wire cups and wheels, thats more for frame, swinging arm etc,and deffo not on chrome or aluminium base pieces.

Good luck with the DEP oh and don't forget plenty of elbow grease. lol

Nice looking bike Andy, just looks like it needs tickling up, unless it was like mine when I first bought it, looked o.k on the outside, but the panels and stuff hid a multitude of sins, only finding all the rust and road crap, when I'd got it all stripped bare.

For the engine cover plastics I put on a couple of coats of grey plastic primer first, then sprayed with the Aluminium coat, quick drying stuff, gave 3 coats of that, on the metal casing, just sprayed straight onto it, again 3 coats.

With wirebrushing the pipe, I used the electric drill with brass wire cups and wheel fitments, a much more foregiving than using a 4" grinderette with steel wire cups and wheels, thats more for frame, swinging arm etc,and deffo not on chrome or aluminium base pieces.

Good luck with the DEP oh and don't forget plenty of elbow grease. lol

Thanks agsin Nev! This will be the first true restoration I have done. I rebuilt a 2002 DTR a few years back which i have only just sold inafct, but most of the work was already done and i merely got the mechanics sorted and sold it on as it was offroad only.

I've no fear of a bit of hard work though so that definiteley won't be a problem and i have plenty of practise in polishing and buffing as my road bike currently is a DTRE 05 (ignore the title) and I like to keep it as i bought it (183 miles on the clock).

Here is a little video of it I made during a uni course (I'm a video editor).

I might have to make one for this DT once she is finished!

Can't wait to see your DTR as a whole too. What plastics are you using?

Andy

Thanks agsin Nev! This will be the first true restoration I have done. I rebuilt a 2002 DTR a few years back which i have only just sold inafct, but most of the work was already done and i merely got the mechanics sorted and sold it on as it was offroad only.

I've no fear of a bit of hard work though so that definiteley won't be a problem and i have plenty of practise in polishing and buffing as my road bike currently is a DTRE 05 (ignore the title) and I like to keep it as i bought it (183 miles on the clock).

Here is a little video of it I made during a uni course (I'm a video editor).

I might have to make one for this DT once she is finished!

Can't wait to see your DTR as a whole too. What plastics are you using?

Andy

Using standard panels but new ones, I've sprayed old ones black and theyre o.k but thought sod it and bought new, so I was thinking of selling old panels to offset cost of new stuff, polisport double headlamp unit, may keep old headlamp unit for mot's, if dodgy, acerbis front mudguard (the one on bike in pic,)have part sprayed green, R&G rear mudguard as are standard on 2004 onwards I think, with a polisport tail tidy & led light under it. Also some decent panel vinyls. My lads after flogging his scooter,and getting a DT, so I dare say most of the stuff I've taken off, will more than likely go on his if n when he gets one.

Nice video,and well put together, but not keen on the blurr then focus bit, I keep reaching for my glasses :blink: btw it's a cracking DT you have there .

Using standard panels but new ones, I've sprayed old ones black and theyre o.k but thought sod it and bought new, so I was thinking of selling old panels to offset cost of new stuff, polisport double headlamp unit, may keep old headlamp unit for mot's, if dodgy, acerbis front mudguard (the one on bike in pic,)have part sprayed green, R&G rear mudguard as are standard on 2004 onwards I think, with a polisport tail tidy & led light under it. Also some decent panel vinyls. My lads after flogging his scooter,and getting a DT, so I dare say most of the stuff I've taken off, will more than likely go on his if n when he gets one.

Nice video,and well put together, but not keen on the blurr then focus bit, I keep reaching for my glasses :blink: btw it's a cracking DT you have there .

Thanks, yeah it can be a bit headachy with the focus pulls! I'm looking out for a tailtidy for the WR now. I've found the pilosport one you mentioned on ebay i think, from AG racing. Nice, and sub 40 quid delivered is pretty impressive! The reason i ask about the panels is because i can't find any decent graphic kits anywhere for the model of DT i have. DD graphics (i think) had some that they make to fit but they look pretty tacky imo. Tempted to do a re spray but im skills aren't top notch and decals would be much easier! I'd seen that front guard around places but never seen it online.

Yeah i know the feeling with regards to the old parts having come off. My brother liked my DT having ridden it a few times and sold his old Yamaha SR125 and managed to get a DT125R 1991 from a friend of mine for 350 quid! tax mot etc...So various bits of my spares have wondered off and appeard attacthed to his bike! I'm happy though as i'm waiting for him to get bored and sell it to me so i can restore it!

I didn't have a decent wire brush wheel drill attatchment the other day but did have something similar. Worked fairly well and buffs up nicely. Will get the attatchment tomorrow an give it a better go. I've ordered the hycote. I found it on ebay for 2.89 a tin + 1.39 delivery, which i thought was pretty good! I think i might start my own thread for my restoration. It won't be as detailed and well done as yours but hey! Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with the rest of the build! Cannot wait to see the final article!

Andy

hey nev

gotta say shes looking gorgeous m8 ;) im jus a tad jealous haha

i attacked my exhaust yesterday after avin a read on here n it came out quite good i was pleasantly suprised :)

def one for the watch m8 ile be poping back in due course good luck

on your project

pizzle :D

hey nev

gotta say shes looking gorgeous m8 ;) im jus a tad jealous haha

i attacked my exhaust yesterday after avin a read on here n it came out quite good i was pleasantly suprised :)

def one for the watch m8 ile be poping back in due course good luck

on your project

pizzle :D

Cheers Pizzle, glad you got a result with your exhaust mate ;)

Panels, decals and headlight unit came today, starting to look something like a DT now. Tank sprayed but still some dinks in it need sorting out

img0160ac.jpg

fitted the heat repellent fabric on rear panel. otherwise it will turn to mush after half hour of the exhaust heat on it.

img0161ak.jpg

Decals were a bit of a pig to fit, not too many bubbles will go round with a pin tomorrow after they've settled in.

img0162ap.jpg

Headlight unit on, and panel sprayed green, looking smart, but either need to make brackets for it to get around the size of the clocks, or get rid of the standard clocks and go digital, not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Panels, decals and headlight unit came today, starting to look something like a DT now. Tank sprayed but still some dinks in it need sorting out

img0160ac.jpg

fitted the heat repellent fabric on rear panel. otherwise it will turn to mush after half hour of the exhaust heat on it.

img0161ak.jpg

Decals were a bit of a pig to fit, not too many bubbles will go round with a pin tomorrow after they've settled in.

img0162ap.jpg

Headlight unit on, and panel sprayed green, looking smart, but either need to make brackets for it to get around the size of the clocks, or get rid of the standard clocks and go digital, not sure yet.

hey nev im back ;)

haha still looking more impressive every time i av a look geez :wub:

i wanted to go digital but my funds wer too short n i couldnt stretch to the cost as im nt working atm <_<

if u decide to go digital would you consider selling me your orignal speedo drive from your front wheel :P

as my local shop wants 75 quid :o and thats jus way outa the question ive had a little look on evil-bay n places like that but still with not much luck or theyre ther wen ive not got the cash lol

neways cracking bike m8 im doin my front lights atm but ive started from scratch with an old pice of fibre glass n a fibreglass kit ;) n where did u get those sxc gaiters youve got for your forks ? i can only find acerbis ones n they dnt suit my bike,

and your graphics did you have those made or wer they a striaght buy ?

cheers nev and good luck

pizzle :lol:

hey nev im back ;)

haha still looking more impressive every time i av a look geez :wub:

i wanted to go digital but my funds wer too short n i couldnt stretch to the cost as im nt working atm <_<

if u decide to go digital would you consider selling me your orignal speedo drive from your front wheel :P

as my local shop wants 75 quid :o and thats jus way outa the question ive had a little look on evil-bay n places like that but still with not much luck or theyre ther wen ive not got the cash lol

neways cracking bike m8 im doin my front lights atm but ive started from scratch with an old pice of fibre glass n a fibreglass kit ;) n where did u get those sxc gaiters youve got for your forks ? i can only find acerbis ones n they dnt suit my bike,

and your graphics did you have those made or wer they a striaght buy ?

cheers nev and good luck

pizzle :lol:

Sorry Pizzle, bad news mate, am going back with the standard headlight cowling, so I'll be needing the speedo drive. But I can help you with the fork gaitors, I bought them off ebay, they are/were advertised as neoprene,monster energy 'pit bike' fork protectors, forget who the sellers name was mind, but a search should come up with them, around about 14 quid if I remember rightly, although I must say that the monster energy insignia was a tad on the yellow side, so got the missus to go over it with my wacky daughters 'monster energy green' nail varnish :blink: and the decals again off ebay, from a bloke in Portugal, 'filed7071' £29.00 plus pnp,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DTR-125-BLACK-STICKERS-/200623601607?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eb61937c7

I think I had the last black ones, although he may have ordered more by now, but if you get in touch with him, he's a nice and very helpful chappy. Cheers for the thumbs up by the way, it's little gestures like that, that give me a kick up the backside when I feel like I cant be arsed to go outside and work on the bike, when it's 'looking a bit black ovver bill's mothers' weather, and you find that your having to cover over your bike, and get all your tools inside every 15 mins, whenever it looks like rain on it's way.

Good luck with your fibre glassing too, maybe get some pics up of your bike project? may inspire somebody else in here to have a go, bit of a knock on effect.

Oh aye just thought, AndyDtr08 on here is flogging some bits and bobs, maybe he has a speedo drive you're after.

Cheers Nev

Sorry Pizzle, bad news mate, am going back with the standard headlight cowling, so I'll be needing the speedo drive. But I can help you with the fork gaitors, I bought them off ebay, they are/were advertised as neoprene,monster energy 'pit bike' fork protectors, forget who the sellers name was mind, but a search should come up with them, around about 14 quid if I remember rightly, although I must say that the monster energy insignia was a tad on the yellow side, so got the missus to go over it with my wacky daughters 'monster energy green' nail varnish :blink: and the decals again off ebay, from a bloke in Portugal, 'filed7071' £29.00 plus pnp,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DTR-125-BLACK-STICKERS-/200623601607?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eb61937c7

I think I had the last black ones, although he may have ordered more by now, but if you get in touch with him, he's a nice and very helpful chappy. Cheers for the thumbs up by the way, it's little gestures like that, that give me a kick up the backside when I feel like I cant be arsed to go outside and work on the bike, when it's 'looking a bit black ovver bill's mothers' weather, and you find that your having to cover over your bike, and get all your tools inside every 15 mins, whenever it looks like rain on it's way.

Good luck with your fibre glassing too, maybe get some pics up of your bike project? may inspire somebody else in here to have a go, bit of a knock on effect.

Oh aye just thought, AndyDtr08 on here is flogging some bits and bobs, maybe he has a speedo drive you're after.

Cheers Nev

thas no worries nev

cheers tho ile hav to ask him bout tht

n thanks im lookin for the gaiters as im writing this :) lol nt much luck so far but sum better ones than ive found but nt yet found ur elusive monster ones haha

n yh i kno im blessed with a garage but i never had one at my old house so i suffered the same fate as you there on more than a few ocasions haha n yh i should reli put one on as my whole bikes basically an unfinished project haha n my source of fun till i get it legal ;)

uve got to upload your photos to an alternate website or hosting server ( i think thats wat it is :unsure: ) n then post in the link dnt you or can i put them straight from my comp to the thread as im writing ?

B) sweeeeet

Cheers ta Wayne, just the job.

img0180ah.jpg

B)

Cheers ta Wayne, just the job.

img0180ah.jpg

B)

No worries mate, anytime.

Looking good by the way.