XJ6 2009 - how to remove tail?

Thunor
This post is 4488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Just got the XJ6 2009 and loving it, I bought a tail tidy and am stumped at how to remove the current tail!

I can see the 4 bolts under the seat that needs removing which is fine, however I'm confused about the wiring and the indicators and how to take them off the oem one and adding them onto the new one!?

Is anyone able to assist please! If not I'm going to have to take it to the local mechanic and he'll charge £60!

Is there any instructions or tutorial anywhere?

Thanks for looking and any help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There isn't on here but its easy, follow the wires from the tail tidy and you'll find all the ones you need to dismantle. Its an easy job in the dry, take off the side fairing at the back to get better access.

Ok thanks, I wouldn't of thought about removing the fairing at the back......

As you can tell, I've never done anything like this before haha

Thanks

Ok thanks, I wouldn't of thought about removing the fairing at the back......

As you can tell, I've never done anything like this before haha

Thanks

Hi there. Yea heres what you need to do:-

Remove Seat

Remove 4 bolts holding grab handle on

Pop off one plastic fairing retainer on the top and two underneath of the left side fairing. Dont use a screwdriver on the bottom of the fairing, use an hex key or something similar with a 90 degree bend to push it out from the inside. It takes a min or two to locate due to being hidden by the frame etc but then light pressure will push out the middle retaining rod.

Remove the fairing.

Remove 4 bolts holding on numberplate hanger (avoid letting it dangle in case you damage the wiring)

Under/near the metal plate you will find a plastic cover where the wires from the numberplate and indicators enter the bike. Pop it off

Where you remove the fairing locate the wires leading from the indicators etc and roll back the waterproofing cup for better access.

I marked up the female and male connectors with a pen to make sure they went back in the same place.

Remove the cables carefully to ensure you dont damage the connectors. There will be 6 connectors to remove.

Now you can let the cables slide out and remove the old hanger

When installing the new tail tidy be sure to think about which order the the nuts etc (if using aftermarket indicators) should be in. I didnt and ended up having to pull it all apart again because the nuts were on the wrong side of the tail tidy (Doh!)

Use cable ties etc to make sure wiring is out of the way.

Before reassembly check indicators hazard light and numberplate light are working correctly. Quick flashing indicates a new relay is required for lower wattage bulbs. Slow flashing or hazard lights not working most likely indicates higher wattage bulbs...find some lower wattage ones...standard are 10w.

Reassemble

Check out my tail tidy in my garage! Let me have pics of your bike when you are done!

Adam_Fozz

This is a good explanation for others when required again, it's good to have.

I managed to get it done on Wed just gone, all went OK removing and disconnecting stuff!

The tail tidy I got was from fleabay and supposed to be for the XJ6, however nothing fitted with it so I had to drill larger holes and bend it around a little. The final look is great though. Also had to get a 7x5.5 plate added as it sits under the seat more.

Used the stock indies which I had to cut down to size making them closer to the plate, didn't like the wing look!

Waiting for a smoked tail light now to match the smoked indies!#

I'll get some pics uploaded as soon as I can.

Hi there. Yea heres what you need to do:-

Remove Seat

Remove 4 bolts holding grab handle on

Pop off one plastic fairing retainer on the top and two underneath of the left side fairing. Dont use a screwdriver on the bottom of the fairing, use an hex key or something similar with a 90 degree bend to push it out from the inside. It takes a min or two to locate due to being hidden by the frame etc but then light pressure will push out the middle retaining rod.

Remove the fairing.

Remove 4 bolts holding on numberplate hanger (avoid letting it dangle in case you damage the wiring)

Under/near the metal plate you will find a plastic cover where the wires from the numberplate and indicators enter the bike. Pop it off

Where you remove the fairing locate the wires leading from the indicators etc and roll back the waterproofing cup for better access.

I marked up the female and male connectors with a pen to make sure they went back in the same place.

Remove the cables carefully to ensure you dont damage the connectors. There will be 6 connectors to remove.

Now you can let the cables slide out and remove the old hanger

When installing the new tail tidy be sure to think about which order the the nuts etc (if using aftermarket indicators) should be in. I didnt and ended up having to pull it all apart again because the nuts were on the wrong side of the tail tidy (Doh!)

Use cable ties etc to make sure wiring is out of the way.

Before reassembly check indicators hazard light and numberplate light are working correctly. Quick flashing indicates a new relay is required for lower wattage bulbs. Slow flashing or hazard lights not working most likely indicates higher wattage bulbs...find some lower wattage ones...standard are 10w.

Reassemble

Check out my tail tidy in my garage! Let me have pics of your bike when you are done!

Adam_Fozz

nice write up :)

This is a good explanation for others when required again, it's good to have.

I managed to get it done on Wed just gone, all went OK removing and disconnecting stuff!

The tail tidy I got was from fleabay and supposed to be for the XJ6, however nothing fitted with it so I had to drill larger holes and bend it around a little. The final look is great though. Also had to get a 7x5.5 plate added as it sits under the seat more.

Used the stock indies which I had to cut down to size making them closer to the plate, didn't like the wing look!

Waiting for a smoked tail light now to match the smoked indies!#

I'll get some pics uploaded as soon as I can.

Take care that the tail light is road legal now...

Take care that the tail light is road legal now...

Yea, Might need coloured bulbs for the new tail light. Unless your talking about the numberplate light, in which case, with his new mini plate he's pretty much running the risk of a fine anyways! (me too!)

Adam_Fozz

Yes it's a smoked tail/brake light (E Approved), the bulb is replaced with brighter (red) LEDs. I got it through however it seems the version they sent is the non ABS version and I needed the ABS version so it's been sent back to Germany!!!

Apparently if you use the wrong one for the job, when the ABS is applied the LEDs pop..

I've removed the number plate light altogether as far as I know you don't need this for MOT, just one of those little red reflectors on the plate standing by!

Sorry, still slack with those pics.. New baby in the house and I don't mean the XJ!

BTW: Fozz, I'm £80 worse off now I've seen those mirrors of yours, bought them last night haha

Yes it's a smoked tail/brake light (E Approved), the bulb is replaced with brighter (red) LEDs. I got it through however it seems the version they sent is the non ABS version and I needed the ABS version so it's been sent back to Germany!!!

Apparently if you use the wrong one for the job, when the ABS is applied the LEDs pop..

I've removed the number plate light altogether as far as I know you don't need this for MOT, just one of those little red reflectors on the plate standing by!

Sorry, still slack with those pics.. New baby in the house and I don't mean the XJ!

BTW: Fozz, I'm £80 worse off now I've seen those mirrors of yours, bought them last night haha

Good Buy, im sure you will like them. I've been really enjoying mine. Could be my height/size but im pretty sure I can see better in them despite the fact they are smaller because of where they are positioned.

I thought you did have to have a plate light for an MOT. Will check it out. If you do have a problem tweeks sell an adhesive LED light for £10 which you just stick on the top of the plate so its no big deal.

I went to a bike meet the other day near mine. Apparently they have changed numberplate related fines from 30 to 60 quid. The UK pisses me off, there are people running around braking laws that matter but police only seem concerned with ways to make money. (Rant over!)

Adam_Fozz

• 6 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online