XV125 oil filter cover bolt help!

MoreBeer
This post is 4715 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Changed the oil on the Virago 125 today, including a new filter and new sump plug and washer. It's the first time it's been done since I bought the bike last year, as it was allegedly done the week I got it, and I'd hazard a guess that it had been as the filter I removed wasn't too badly off. Can't comment on the oil as I've been topping it up due to a bad seal on the drain bolt (hence the new one and washer) caused the bike to leak a small amount of oil over time.

Anyway, aside from leaving it far too long all went okay apart from the frontmost bolt for the oil filter cover (well it's more a big screw than a bolt really :P) had it's head stripped. Had to use molegrips to undo and tighten it up in the end.

I checked Wemoto but couldn't find the bolt needed, any ideas where I can get one? Of the 3 bolts that hold the cover in place it's the frontmost one and about 3 times longer than the other 2 bolts

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Changed the oil on the Virago 125 today, including a new filter and new sump plug and washer. It's the first time it's been done since I bought the bike last year, as it was allegedly done the week I got it, and I'd hazard a guess that it had been as the filter I removed wasn't too badly off. Can't comment on the oil as I've been topping it up due to a bad seal on the drain bolt (hence the new one and washer) caused the bike to leak a small amount of oil over time.

Anyway, aside from leaving it far too long all went okay apart from the frontmost bolt for the oil filter cover (well it's more a big screw than a bolt really :P) had it's head stripped. Had to use molegrips to undo and tighten it up in the end.

I checked Wemoto but couldn't find the bolt needed, any ideas where I can get one? Of the 3 bolts that hold the cover in place it's the frontmost one and about 3 times longer than the other 2 bolts

A tip for removing/refitting hex cap screws that have a rounded socket is to use a Torx key. Find the size that, when you tap it into the hex socket, it cuts its way into the side walls of the socket and then gives you a good grip.

Replacment screws should be easily available for your local bolt/fastener merchant. look in your yellow pages. Alternativey, companies like Cromwell Tools have dozens of branches nationwide

Hi,

I have the same bike and i get all my parts from

the part numbers for the bolts are:

1 x Long one- 98501-06090-00

2 x Short - 98511-06025-00

Give the parts department the part numbers and they can send them out.

I have a complete parts list for the XV250 (practically the same bike) if you need a copy

Regards

Dan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online