XVS 125 - Problems starting with a hot engine.

davejt
This post is 4649 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals,

I've only been riding for a couple of months so I'm not sure if this is going to be a stupid question but, hey, if you don't ask you won't know :)

My dragstar starts first time on the button when cold but once I've been riding for a bit and the engines warmed up I have problems getting her to start again. I have to open the throttle right up and hold down the starter for a second or two before it starts. This has happened to me three of four times now and its a little concerning. It did it to me today and I hadn't ever done a mile (stalled at a junction, newbie error).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers folks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have the choke off but it did occur to me to turn it on next time it does it to see if that helps. I'll have a look at the air filter aswell though.

Thanks mate.

Starting from cold (even in summer);

choke full on/no throttle/hit starter/engine starts and revs high/leave for 10 secs/close choke by 1/3rd/ ride off/after 1/2 mile close choke to 1/2/after mile - mile and half close choke

Starting a warm engine;

no choke/give it throttle

as OG says, check air filter/plugs/tickover/and the black rubber piece between the carbs for cracks and splits

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Will get round to checking these things out once I get a day off and let you know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Sorry it took me so long to report back on this one but all is now well. I took what neversaydie said under advisement and haven't had any problems since. I'll put this one down to a newbie error. Thanks again folks, much appreciated.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online