XV 125 Clutch Cable change and gear shift lever

DE51GNZ
This post is 4720 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I noticed that the clutch cable on my bike was getting a bit old so i decided to replace it with a new one.

I have replaced it and adjusted it to the XV 250 manual settings. i.e 3-5mm play on the clutch lever.

Can anyone confirm that the position of the clutch mechanisum looks ok?

DSCF0947.jpg

I am assuming that the arrow on the bottom of the arm is supposed to be in line with the gearbox casing.

Also can anyone give me some guidance on the lever arm?

When you look at the stem from the gearbox it has a mark on it.

DSCF0951.jpg

I again assume that this is to line up with the gap in the gear lever arm?

DSCF0953.jpg

If this is the case then according to the service manual both connections should be at 90 degrees to the main arm.

GearShift.jpg

Mine seems to be right if this is the case.

DSCF0954.jpg

According to the manual the height between the top of the foot rest and the top of the gear lever should be within 30-36mm. Mine seems to be at around 20mm.

DSCF0955.jpg

This would mean that i would need to adjust the arm to make the lever go up.

Question i would like to ask is, does this fit with everyone else or should i just move the connection to the stem around so the lever is high enough?

I hope you guys can help.

I do trust the manual but in my lack of experience i value your option more!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just take the manual as a guideline for the "standard" setup

the clutch looks ok just set your biting point to what you like.

and as to the gear lever you should be able to adjust it via the link bar. but if not then you could move the bit that connects it to the engine. :D

Clutch looks fine.

Youre right about the centre pop mark on the change shaft, should line up with the gap in the clamp.

Looking at the pic in the manual and the photo of the gear shift, I would say that you need to adjust the tie rod at the pedal end, as it looks as if it needs to go 5 to 10 degrees clockwise. That would bring it closer to the manual setting of 30 to 36mm.

I recall trying the split collar in different positions on the gear changer shaft in the past and it made gear changing inconsistent, harsh, and not always easy to engage.

Thanks guys,

I adjusted the gear arm and now it seems great.

I can get all gears smoothly.

Thanks for your help and advice.

It is always appreciated.

:rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online