Foamy's New Toy, XJ650 Turbo :)

wild foamy
This post is 1214 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Slightly more work done, got the engine back from headley bodyshop and hopefully at some point this week i can make up a dolly to drill the exhaust studs and helicoil them, shotblast the cases and give it a fresh coat of enamel, made a piss poor attempt at spraying the wheels, the masking tape i have just wont stick to the alloy, and it occasionally leaks underneath it onto the parts of the wheel that shouldnt be painted.

DSCF2431.jpg

DSCF2428.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you wanna look at some higher tack tape and once applied rub the top of the tape with a cloth adding preasure!

thats how i done my wheels until i found someone to do them for me in a proper spray shop

ken

• 2 months later...

Well this project is now on the back burner :(, ive already got rid of one of my minis but i am now moving base up to wolverhampton after a final short tour in the desert, the turbo is confined to the shed for now, there's already a DT50 waiting for its turn aswell, i may look in to getting the wheels done professionally but i cant see them being cheap

i dragged my ass out to the shed today and finished off the forks, took me a while to work out how the pressure fittings went on to the forks as i gave them to Rolling Art to rechrome/reseal e.t.c but after a quick look at the parts catalog i think i got it worked out.

here's how they look now

DSCF2184_zpsee966900.jpg

Was going to get the handlebars on and start reassembling the switchgear/levers but i cant seem to find the bar clamps anywhere, i suspect they are in the box under my bed at work -.-, i think its safe to say this bike will NEVER wheelie, these forks alone are hefty feckers!, hopefully after i've finished moving in April i can get to work on the engine, then get the engine in the frame and from then on it 'should be' plain sailing...

if you go to Wolverhampton, your in the capital of British engineering.

lots a of legacy from the brit bike era still around there too.

Foamy " when i painted my lester Alloy wheels, i smeard grease on the silver flat areas, and painted whole wheel, then when dry

took a stanley blade. & gently scraped gease off,,, :jossun:

It was a little jagged at the edges, a rub with 1200 grit smothed them tho. beats masking :yeah:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update peeps.

i managed to find a very good set of downpipes complete with collector box on eBay and made an offer, the only other major part of the exhaust i am missing is the inlet that runs from the collector box to the turbo, that may need some creative thinking to solve as most second hand parts have the same problem of being rotted out that my original one had :(,

main priority is still re-drilling the exhaust studs and getting that engine ready to go back in the frame, after that everything else can start being refitted, not a lot i can do about it for the next couple of months as im still in the sandbox :(

don't drill, weld through a nut and build it out, then you can undo it no problem.

its all i ever do for snapped exhaust studs, works every time. IN fact it takes longer to get the welder out, than the job

what i meant was that the studs i attempted to drill through (and fucked up) have now been filled in with weld, so i plan to make a small jig that sits in the exhaust port and mimics the footprint of the original exhaust clamp, i can then drill through the jig and get the new holes on dead centre

• 3 months later...

Well what a beautiful day outside!, ive been nursing a terrible hangover so havent ventured far from the foamy cave today, but i did however get out to the shed and unearth the remnants of my XJ turbo, ive re-assembled most of the rear fender and with creative use of an impact wrench and some colourful language i had the engine cases off, rocker cover off sump off and am now waiting for some shotblasting media so i can finally get the engine blasted and painted! :hyper:

DSC_0100_zps9a890390.jpg

DSC_0101_zps7595017f.jpg

DSC_0103_zps1309a337.jpg

DSC_0100_zps1664128b.jpg

once the engine is in i can get it on its wheels (forks, yokes, bars and swingarm are already painted ready to go back on)

very productive day and a very happy foamy :yeah:

Nice! :thumb: Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Nice! :thumb: Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

that is the finished product sacha!

you don't know foams very well do you? :babyha:

behave drewps, im getting there!, bit of a pain to work on things when im doing everything in the middle of a garden, its usually pissing with rain or windy as fook

that is the finished product sacha!

you don't know foams very well do you? :babyha:

Man I can't laugh. Look how long it's taking me. :eusa_think:

you're more than welcome to come over for a ride when its finished ;)

then after that we can take the XJ out...

aherm

14964.jpg

There is only one foamy... you humans couldnt handle two, your pleasure receptors would overload and cause your brain to liquify

• 7 years later...

Welp, after almost a decade in bits, I've finally got the engine back in the frame, and started to hang bits back on to try and figure out how it all goes back together. 

Current workshop is a mess, still digging parts out of random boxes and trying to figure out what's there and what isnt.

Thankfully, younger-foamy had the foresite to bag and label the bits as they came off. 

https://ibb.co/j3JKmsB
https://ibb.co/k65FtjZ
https://ibb.co/3ks3yK1

Edited by wild foamy
  • Like 2