Foamy's New Toy, XJ650 Turbo :)

wild foamy
This post is 1214 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Frame and wheels are now in Glenns' capable hands at Rolling Art in Swindon, should have them back next week, need to get the rest of the engine mounts off of the engine and get it shotblasted/painted up ready to drop back in, then the swingarm can go back on along with the wheels

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all! Especially foamy. The name is money, just a pun because I have none. I have spent the last hour looking up everything I can on this bike I could find. Foamy's restoration project has my mind spinning with excitement. I found this exact bike with 18,429 miles on it. In slightly better condition, no damage visable, no key however, it was a daily driver 2 years ago and has only been outside for that long. It looks great and the guy said I can come get it today for $150. I am stoked. On a side note the wife didn't bitch at all when I told her about it! Maybe its meant to be! Hopefully the guy is serious and doesn't back out. Also foamy? Knowing what all you have done would you do it again?

Welcome to the forum money!, for that price rip the guys hand off!, its worth that for parts alone, mine was sat outside for 12 years so no doubt yours is in better condition especially in the states, most of my parts including the seat have come from the states and are in much better condition than what you would find in the UK

as for would i do it all again? probably, if i could go back in time i would have probably started with something a bit more simple like a CBR or a FZR, but im kind of glad i did choose this bike as every part you take off and strip down for cleaning you learn about how it works and the part it plays in making the bike run right, as for the key i took the ignition barrel to a locksmith and got a key cut to fit that, then i took the helmet lock/pockets/tank cap apart and changed the locking pins to accept the new key.

go for it, you will regret it at times, but that's all part of the fun right? failing that put me in contact with the guy and i will buy it :P

Well I couldn't pass it up! I am now a proud owner of this awesome looking Yamaha xj 650 seca turbo. It has never been dropped til I picked it up and the front tire twisted and the kick stand collapsed and it fell over. But it just got some small scratches and a small hole in a weak section of the fiberglass. I'm gonna have the damn thing painted anyways! I'll post some picks for y'all "a southern thing". When I get off work. Foamy thank you for the words of advice! I am going to enjoy this thing. Also I found a guy online in Switzerland that has 3 of them and he's giving them away. But I cannot remember the website. I have about 5 people that want to ride it and 3 including foamy that want to buy it. And 1 of them is a local Yamaha dealership. I told them we will talk when I finish getting it running. Thanks for the welcome later!

• 2 weeks later...

Frame and wheels are ready! woohoo!, no pics yet as i am still in the middle of the feckin desert for a couple more months :(

even in my absence the stockpile of parts is growing rapidly, its going to be like christmas when i get back, just need to get the rest of the mounting stud out of the engine and get it blanked/shotblasted/sprayed up, and suggestions how i can get the stud out? basically i ended up cutting the engine mounts off the frame and welding them back on then cutting the bolt off either side of the lug on the engine leaving me with about half an inch of stud stuck in there

Frame and wheels are ready! woohoo!, no pics yet as i am still in the middle of the feckin desert for a couple more months :(

even in my absence the stockpile of parts is growing rapidly, its going to be like christmas when i get back, just need to get the rest of the mounting stud out of the engine and get it blanked/shotblasted/sprayed up, and suggestions how i can get the stud out? basically i ended up cutting the engine mounts off the frame and welding them back on then cutting the bolt off either side of the lug on the engine leaving me with about half an inch of stud stuck in there

looks like a drill job to me. grind flat first. or if you bottle it, spark erosion!

could also try to weld a nut on there (won't stick to ally) and the heat generated may loosen the bolt's grip and allow you to turn the welded on nut!

Im afraid neither of those would work drewps :(

i tried drilling it initially but somehow the drill crept off centre so that's fooked the contract, no idea how to go about spark erosion and as for the nut idea the stud has been cut flush with the mounting lug on both sides so theres not really much for it to bite into, need to devise some sort of press methink...

i tried drilling it initially but somehow the drill crept off centre so that's fooked the contract, no idea how to go about spark erosion and as for the nut idea the stud has been cut flush with the mounting lug on both sides so theres not really much for it to bite into, need to devise some sort of press methink...

Depends on access, but how about knocking up a guide bush for drilling though, clamp/tack weld the bush in place so that its centre lines up with the stud centre, the drill through real slow using the bush hole as a guide.

that could work, i'll try that next, cheers bud! :D

The drill is sliding off centre because ya havent made a starting point for it.

Get a pointed punch, place it in the centre of the stud your drilling and hit it with a hammer.

This will leave a small round grove/hole,,,,, put the drill with your SMALL bit into this and drill slowly.

Then you can move up to the next bigger size bit and drill some more,,, repeat untill its as big a hole as you can go without damaging threads.

that's the beauty of steel and welding, I've got loads of flush (ie snapped) studs out, even 1 was 5 mm inside the alloy. I just built up the weld first, then finished with the nut.

• 1 month later...

stopping off in cyprus tomorrow and back in the UK the day after, work on the XJ will be continuing again!, frame is already powdercoated and i will be doing some minor repairs to the engine and shotblasting it over the weekend

• 2 months later...

Well peeps, on returning from overseas i have now been volunteered to work at the olympic games... how lovely, which also means that work on the XJ is yet again at a standstill, the forks have gone off to be rechromed by Glen at Rolling Art MC, he will be sorting out the carbs aswell when i get a chance to drop them off at his workshop, and once i get rid of the other Mini and get my original mini in a moveable condition

also, managed to royally f*ck the engine head whilst attempting to drill a straight hole into the snapped studs so i could helicoil them, so... yeah, not really sure what to do with that, the old man reckons i could drill it out bigger and put a bigger helicoil in it, then screw a bush into it and helicoil the bush down to the correct diameter, which is a lot of work and i cant see that it will look right when its finished, if im honest i am rapidly loosing interest in it as it seems that as soon as i see light at the end of the tunnel some fecker slams the door on my fingers, but i have sunk a lot of money into it over the past year or so and most of the other parts are painted and ready to get back on, i just dont want to put them on until i can fit that engine in the frame as i remember how much of a battle it was getting it out

don't lose heart foams.

I thought when I saw you updated this thread you were going to jack it in (again!)

I'd get the thing welded up and re-drill it using a drill press

last resort is taking the head off, stripping it down and giving it to Glen at Rolling Art in swindon as he has done most of the major stuff on the bike so far, im just not too sure about taking the camchain off, stripping all the valves down e.t.c, i never intended to strip the engine back to its bare nuts and bolts as i know it is a good runner.

fuck it, i've been dragged into working the olympic security clusterfuck, so once again work is at a standstill. should be back in september but then i'm moving up to wolverhampton soon after

fuck it, i've been dragged into working the olympic security clusterfuck, so once again work is at a standstill. should be back in september but then i'm moving up to wolverhampton soon after

that's Bostin mate?