Foamy's New Toy, XJ650 Turbo :)

wild foamy
This post is 1236 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

had a closer look at the turbo and it seems the exhaust coupling is just a flange that bolts on to the turbo housing itself.

work on stripping the bike down hasnt progressed very far, the exhaust is still being a pain to remove so the engine is still sat in the frame, the sooner i can get that out the sooner i can get the frame off to be painted and the sooner i can start putting it back together.

i have, however, stripped the clocks completely down and cleaned/reassembled them, aswell as attacking the shaft drive assembly and cleaning up the rims (still hunting for a rear tyre, if anyone has a 120/90/18 or 130/90/18 let me know, ta ;)

i have now got an increasingly big pile of painted/prepared parts sat under my bed ready to go back on, its just these last few jobs that are holding me back

Clock mounts: im surprised at how well the PJ1 comes out when dry, its miracle stuff! (this was after the first coat, i wasnt happy with the results so i reprepped and sprayed it again)

DSCF1337.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 5 weeks later...

Well peeps, the xj has taken a back burner as I am off to out of the country again in february until end of may and then due to move base in september (hence why I need to get the xj on its wheels)

Plus I am doing a manual conversion to the mini and fibreglass front end,

Aaaaand, I has a new lady in my life ^.^ wub you Laura :) <3

Managed to get out of work for a couple of hours today and managed to get through about 1\3 of the wiring loom aswell as cleaning up the rear fender and numerous other little bits and bobs

Any progress is good right? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well peeps im so close now! there is one bolt left to remove and the engine and frame can be seperated!.

gonna be a bastard though, snapped a drill bit drilling the last one but still managed to get most of the way through it, even with 1/2" of bolt material left in contact with the frame it still took a club hammer and all of my strength to get it out, started using a smaller drill on the last bolt and it slipped off centre, meaning that im likely to end up with more than half the bolt material still in contact with the frame and castings... this fucker aint letting up without a fight... plus its now raining sideways out there so i have retreated indoors for a cup of tea.

check out the blog for more info peeps, the engine WILL be out of the frame before the day is out... failing that it will have to be another all-nighter

good fun Foams, can be testing at times,

Just seen you had an altercation with a chisel, XJ by any chance?

Yeah, bangin' fuck out of those engine mounts and missed the chisel, its started swelling up quite bad now, had to get my old man to help me lift the engine out i was that crippled after it :( was very tempted to split this thing for parts, theres a set of clocks on ebay for £100 on there own! but now i can finally see a tiny little bit of light at the end of a long and booby-trap-ridden tunnel full of gremlins and gnomes witing to bite me in the ass once again

Frame:

DSCF1436.jpg

Engine:

DSCF1435.jpg

How the heck those japs managed to get that lump in there in the first place in one piece is a mystery to me, it requires removal with a can opener and fitting with a shoe horn

Met a guy down the pub whos willing to do the glassblasting for a minimal fee, friend of the old mans from waaaay back apparently, havent seen him recently though so no idea when i can get the frame shotblasted lol

foams, put the frame on the engine when you fit it. might be a bit easier for you!

thats pretty much how it came apart lol, layed the frame on its side and lifted the frame off around the engine, still a fecking tight fit though lol

well peeps i have finally found a local and reasonably priced place willing to work on the frame, check out Rolling Art Motorcycles, only based over in swindon, can get the frame acid-dipped and powdercoated for £140, im just waiting to hear back a price for enamel coating but at that price powdercoating is sounding like a nice option aswell

the forks will be going off to Philpots in luton, going to have to package up the stanchions and run them over there on the bike early next week

Well peeps went over to Rolling Art in Swindon earlier to have a chat with Glenn and see what their work is like and i gotta say they do some pretty good stuff and are very knowledgeable, im tempted to go with a powder-coated frame because the finish is more flexable and resistant to minor knocks over the more brittle stove enamel.

Im planning to drop the frame and wheels in to them middle of next week, have also ordered myself a shotblasting gun and some glassbead so i can hopefully get the swingarm serviceable and get this thing on its wheels before february :)

Bought myself a shotblaster next week and Its brilliant!, managed to strip down the swingarm, tripple trees and airbox and have them painted within 4 hours, check out the blog for info

On that note if anyone wants anything shotblasted let me know ;)

haha, good one up.yours :P

more shotblasting and spraying last night, im running out of things to paint, need to weld some new engine mounting lugs onto the frame and get it sent off to be refurbed and then i can start putting this heap of crap back together.

DSCF1447.jpg

blasting the fairing mount was very slow :(

• 2 weeks later...

the frame is ready, woohoo! :D, finally got round to fabricating some new engine mounts, no way of telling wether they will actually match up wihen it comes to mounting the engine but there are ways around that, will be taking it down to rolling art on tuesday to be shotblasted/acid dipped/powder coated along with the wheels

422339_10150540334078961_526263960_8969078_1352754977_n.jpg

426737_10150540335303961_526263960_8969082_1157449962_n.jpg

Pics are of the old man welding the new mounts on, my welding is not exactly brilliant (looks like a pidgeon has shit on a newspaper) so i left it to his many years of expertise.

it seems my blood, sweat and swear words are paying off, check out the blog for more goings-on :)