Lean mean noisy machine

Kerryxvs
This post is 4681 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys rapid fire question round ,bought an after market pipe for my uk xvs 1100 a ,from a crowd on the pacific coast in the states,aptly named pacific coast customs ,this is a straight swap for the standard pipes And is supposed to be loud as hell :lol: ,now the problem lies in re jetting not that that is a big issue but I don't want the motor running too lean ,I m not interested in performance side just the noise and I don't drive flat out so I don't see much point in re jetting ,now that's my opinion but I m just wondering what you guys think ,and I m just wondering if anyone has done the same and if so had they any problems with starting the bike or when idling ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I m not interested in performance side just the noise and I don't drive flat out so I don't see much point in re jetting ,now that's my opinion but I m just wondering what you guys think

I think anyone who doesn't re-jet is an idiot (you did ask ;)).

Yamaha spend millions engineering their bikes to be balanced and to work in a certain configuration, yet some random yahoo reckons he knows otherwise.

Every mechanic and professional custom builder I have ever spoken to suggests re-jetting, yet some random yahoo reckons he knows otherwise.

A few more miles of testing my new pipes and then I'll start by raising my existing jets a notch, but if that doesn't cut it then it's new jets.

However you ride, priority one is always that the bike runs as it should.

Hi, A.N. Idiot here..........

I've not re-jetted my XVS650 since fitting drag pipes, and apart from the noise level, I've noted no descernable changes. Having spoken to several people, including the guys at Matt's Custom Motorcycles in Bristol (Who don't appear to be idiots, and I wouldn't tell them to their faces if they did......big scary dudes) none of them, with the exception of Ttaskmaster has been the slightest bit bothered about re-jetting. Their words were pretty much 'fit the pipes and ride it, if there's a problem come and see us'..........there hasn't been so I haven't. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not re-jetted my XVS650 since fitting drag pipes, and apart from the noise level, I've noted no descernable changes. Having spoken to several people, including the guys at Matt's Custom Motorcycles in Bristol (Who don't appear to be idiots, and I wouldn't tell them to their faces if they did......big scary dudes) none of them, with the exception of Ttaskmaster has been the slightest bit bothered about re-jetting. Their words were pretty much 'fit the pipes and ride it, if there's a problem come and see us'..........there hasn't been so I haven't. Good luck.

thing is that your unlikely to see a problem till it s too late,if you fit an aftermarket exhaust and air intake your messing with fuelling ratios,ie the bike runs lean (more air in same fuel burn is hotter ? that bit i m deducingi m sure someone will correct me if i m wrong :unsure: which increases wear)

i got the pipe from pacific coast customs and they sent out the pipe and are jetting kit they reccommend that you should go from 112 rear pilot jet 115 front jet to i think it s 117 front and rear so thats what i m going to do ,whats pissing me off no end now is that the harley davidson bikefest is on ere this wknd and i still have my pea shooters on :(

ha ha clasic! you know why they said that dont you? so when it goes pop you can take it there so they can make some money re-building the engine.

but anyway the general rule is when incresing air flow weather it be filter, head or exhaust you need to "correct" the fuel mix which usualy means going up a few jet sizes.

if i was you id check my spark plugs and make sure its not running lean!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online