Insuring a YZF R125

ChristianSRA
This post is 4634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

So as I'm turning 17 in July I have prematurely started looking for insurance quotes and the best I have so far been offered for a 17 year old with 1 years no claim bonus a bike locked in a garage is £822.27 by Swinton. I have looked on the usual comparison websites and cannot so far find anything lower than this for a fully comp. The reason I'm going fully comp is the bikes worth £2500 ish and I'm rather reluctant to tempt fate with TPFT again this year as I've done with my TZR.

Anyone happen to know of any good insurance brokers for a 125?

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have just been quoted £598 by someone called motorcycles and scooters or somethin it came up on a comparison site my quote is for a brand new 2011 yzf r125 and its fully comp and they have it as parked off road erm only difference is i have 3 years no claims instead of your 1 my bike value £4249 so could even it out i dont know. sorry if no help if you reply to this and want to know the exact insurer i can find it for you

Compared with Digsy's quote a couple of threads down, it sounds expensive THIS LINK.

I think thats because his is a YBR and their substantially lower in insurance group I think it seems no matter what I do I can't shift the £800 mark.

i have just been quoted £598 by someone called motorcycles and scooters or somethin it came up on a comparison site my quote is for a brand new 2011 yzf r125 and its fully comp and they have it as parked off road erm only difference is i have 3 years no claims instead of your 1 my bike value £4249 so could even it out i dont know. sorry if no help if you reply to this and want to know the exact insurer i can find it for you

I think the value could shift I've even tried lowering the value of my R125 and nothing still I can insured on my dad CBR400RR(If I restrict it after doing my test) for less than my YZF which is stupid. If you could give me the insurance brookers name that would be great thanks :)

I got my TPFT from MCE...That was about £550 but I had no experience and I'm a woman which seems to increase the premium (??!). The quote was the cheapest of them all. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Scooters and Bikes have really bad reviews, I found my cheapest quote with them but didn't trust it, although all i nsurance companies have bad reviews to be fair.

Follow the link below to tiger.co.uk, I've found all my cheapest quotes on there.

Tiger.co.uk

My insurance for mine was £1500 Fully comp, personal cover, helmet and leathers, injury cover, breakdown cover the lot..... Bike is 3500...... and errmm yer, i crashed it :(

God help me next year :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seconding Rutele,

MCE have always offered the lowest premiums, but that could just be because they prefer women :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

So as I'm turning 17 in July I have prematurely started looking for insurance quotes and the best I have so far been offered for a 17 year old with 1 years no claim bonus a bike locked in a garage is £822.27 by Swinton. I have looked on the usual comparison websites and cannot so far find anything lower than this for a fully comp. The reason I'm going fully comp is the bikes worth £2500 ish and I'm rather reluctant to tempt fate with TPFT again this year as I've done with my TZR.

Anyone happen to know of any good insurance brokers for a 125?

Cheers guys

i have just been qouted £157 fully comp through www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk. and that was for my yam yzf 125r 2011 plate.

but i am alot older than you and i have 15yrs no claims bonus from driving lol!!

sorry to put a damper on things, its your age mate thats killing ya. insurers these days on teenagers love you guy's as they see you as a high risk, where as this is my first bike and i have not ridden before yet my premium is way lower.

hope you get a better price mate B)

i have just been qouted £157 fully comp through www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk. and that was for my yam yzf 125r 2011 plate.

but i am alot older than you and i have 15yrs no claims bonus from driving lol!!

sorry to put a damper on things, its your age mate thats killing ya. insurers these days on teenagers love you guy's as they see you as a high risk, where as this is my first bike and i have not ridden before yet my premium is way lower.

hope you get a better price mate B)

The other factor is that a lot of YZF125Rs are getting crashed, nicked and generally written off. The effect is that the bike is being loaded heavily by insurers. The engine size does not matter to the insurers if the bike keeps being claimed for/against. It is easily written off, as it has a lot of plastics and these are not cheap.

The bike is a victim of its own success.

The other factor is that a lot of YZF125Rs are getting crashed, nicked and generally written off. The effect is that the bike is being loaded heavily by insurers. The engine size does not matter to the insurers if the bike keeps being claimed for/against. It is easily written off, as it has a lot of plastics and these are not cheap.

The bike is a victim of its own success.

yeah good point, but yamaha have still hit the nail on the head with this bike!

I agree that the bike is a victim of its own success, but for a learner to have one of these bikes and still feel like you are riding a big bike is a great advantage in one aspect, just does not obviously have the power of a big bike. But then again i know i need to learn to ride so this is a great starting point and still having the looks to go with it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online