xvs 1300 tyre life ?

cakeboy
This post is 4274 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Car tyres on a bike??!!

Sounds like a recipie for an insanely stupid disaster to me...

I use Avon Venoms on my bike and last got 19,000 odd out of them. Perhaps they do them for other models?

Umm car tyres on a chair outfit mebbe buton 2 wheels sounds like only for straight lines my bikes are bad enough when they wear the middles flat as for mileage well my RD,s i am lucky too get more than 3000 out of em

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Am sure no-one from the 1300 site will mind me posting this:

WhyYouDontUseaCarTireonaBike-HarleyDavidsonForums.jpg

Apparently car tyres go round corners well, you just need a bit more effort to turn it in!?!? :blink:

As for the numbers of 1300s in the UK, I've seen a few at Squires (including Phils) but never out on the road. There's a few guys from the 'Yorkies' (Virago Star Owners Club centre 5) who have them (probably theirs at Squires), though I believe most are riding imported models as we don't get the tourer version as standard. I don't know if Yammy have picked awkward sizes for the 1300 on purpose or whether it is more standard with the wider 'Star' range in the US?

Graham

My tyre 6780 miiles now at wear bar in centre tread. Will let you know which tyre I go for

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

still going off track (sorry cakeboy), i am intrigued to know how many xvs1300's are roaming the UK...there must be a way of finding out. In fact, i think i'll E mail yamaha uk and ask. At the risk of repeating myself, i have only ever seen one other (clarkegrays) in 2 years ownership, i drive 35,000 miles a year for work, going all over the place and still, i havent seen one anywhere

Let us know what Yammy says...

In my search for tyres that fit I came across this: http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760723/Tires#Tires

Lists some compatible tyres including an Avon tyre...

Let us know what Yammy says...

In my search for tyres that fit I came across this: http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760723/Tires#Tires

Lists some compatible tyres including an Avon tyre...

ive e-mailed yamaha uk, lets see what they have to say. The Avon in that link could be interesting if you can get it ?!?!, and i notice it would have to be a 180.

Graham, as you'll be the first one needing a tyre, i look forward to your decision...but somehow think you'll be putting another bridgestone on, there's not a lot else

spoke to a tyre shop today - told me only bridgestones in the 'correct' size @ £140.34 with a £17-£25 fitting fee. However when asked about 180 size they said there's Dunlop D251 and D427 available however 427 out of stock and the 251 = £159.54. Asked about the Metzler & she said she had to Pirelli & get back to me. Left a message on my phone to say production is starting in 2 weeks (but didn't leave a price).

spoke to a tyre shop today - told me only bridgestones in the 'correct' size @ £140.34 with a £17-£25 fitting fee. However when asked about 180 size they said there's Dunlop D251 and D427 available however 427 out of stock and the 251 = £159.54. Asked about the Metzler & she said she had to Pirelli & get back to me. Left a message on my phone to say production is starting in 2 weeks (but didn't leave a price).

will there be any problems with fitting a '180' to the rim...?

Not according to the 1300 sites/links I posted. I believe when the US guys put a car tyre on they use a 205 size tyre... I'll be swapping the tyre in a few weeks time and let you know for sure :)

I'll be swapping the tyre in a few weeks time and let you know for sure :)

look forward to your feedback graham... i still have had no reply form yamaha uk regarding sales figures...i bet its not more than a few hundred....

Well after alot of research. this is what I found for the rear (available in the UK):

170/70/16 = stock size

Bridgestone Exedera G722 (stock) £134

Dunlop K555 £142

180/70/16 = 1 size up

Metzeler ME 880 Marathon £140.34

Avon Cobra AV2 £134.34

Dunlop D206 £159

I'm running the stock front tyre until replacement. I've been told that the front Exedera is compatible with the Metzeler, however the tyre rep "couldn't recommend" putting a bigger size tyre on the stock rim due to changing the tyre profile... I know many have done this without issue so I'm not that worried about this.

To be honest, I'm starting to think that I'm better off sticking to the stock size tyres. Whilst I have every confidence that the 180 will work fine, I'm convinced if I ever have an accident (regardless of fault) if the insurance company sees the 'wrong' size tyre on the bike they'll use it to worm out of paying up...

I'm tempted to try out the Dunlop (assuming its compatible with the Exedera) to see if the extra £8 is worth it.

I am also desperate to get it done as I haven't used the bike in about 2-3 weeks now :(

Graham

Oh, I managed to get the dealer to agree to fit the tyre at £30 which is the same as another garage rather than the £48 (£54 - 10%) they wanted to charge [1hr labour - that's right 1 hour labour to mount a tyre :blink: apparantly they need to remove the muffler which takes 1hr!?!?!]

Phil, any news from Yamaha?

following on, ended up getting the Bridgestone again... should be fitted Wednesday :)

I also emailed Avon and asked about a 170 tyre, they replied stating they are developing a 170/70r16 in their Cobra range and it should be available early next year... Look forward to try it :)

Phil, any news from Yamaha?

strangely, yes graham, they say they have moved just over eight hundred XVS1300 in the UK so far ...?, so, where are they ...?, lol

hmm, well I think I saw 3 riding together on Friday just gone... was on A1 heading north and am sure I came across the 'Yorkies' on a ride - about 15 bikes in formation all a mixture of Viragos, Dragstars and 1300s BUT all of them state they imported their 1300s... had I not been in my car I may have joined them for a while?

Just got a service reminder letter from my dealer saying to bring in my XVS1300 07 for its service. Guess that explains the colour differences between our bikes (I've always suspected mine might be an 07 model even though they said it was an 08 when they sold me it). I'm going to speak to them about this and the clutch basket and the clutch cable.

Going back to tyres, I emailed Metzeler to ask why their US site recommends their 180/70/16 tyre as a 'stage 1' upgrade i.e. can fit to stock wheels with no problem, whereas Metzeler UK say no. Their response = different (stricter) regulations in the UK re: which tyres you can use.

Graham

hmm, well I think I saw 3 riding together on Friday just gone... was on A1 heading north and am sure I came across the 'Yorkies' on a ride - about 15 bikes in formation all a mixture of Viragos, Dragstars and 1300s BUT all of them state they imported their 1300s... had I not been in my car I may have joined them for a while?

Just got a service reminder letter from my dealer saying to bring in my XVS1300 07 for its service. Guess that explains the colour differences between our bikes (I've always suspected mine might be an 07 model even though they said it was an 08 when they sold me it). I'm going to speak to them about this and the clutch basket and the clutch cable.

Going back to tyres, I emailed Metzeler to ask why their US site recommends their 180/70/16 tyre as a 'stage 1' upgrade i.e. can fit to stock wheels with no problem, whereas Metzeler UK say no. Their response = different (stricter) regulations in the UK re: which tyres you can use.

Graham

Graham, i'd be interested to know about this colour thing, and how our bikes are a silmilar age but are different shades of red...surely red is red, not red and dark red...?, i'm certain mine isn't an import. In the absence of any other tyre to fit our bike, it looks like i'll be fitting another bridgestone, i'd dearly love to fit an Avon, as i suspect it'll last longer, but unfortunately...we aint exactly spoilt for choice are we ?. I'm beginning to think now that when yamaha told me 800 'midnight star's, i think they were adding together all the 950's, 1300's and 1900's, i'm beginning to think there's hardly any 1300's out there...

just looked on autotrader, of 52 bikes listed 4 are Maroon red, loads are bright red. The bright red appear to go from 07 plates, whereas the maroon start in 08 but one (from the dealer where I got my bike from) is listed as 'genuine UK model'. Maybe the maroon are 08 models and the rest are 07s that they never shifted since the bike launched??? You may be right about 800 sold being the 950/1300/1900 combined as I've not seen many + only know of half a dozen UK owners...

Hopefully the Avon tyre will be out soon, 6,800 miles isn't much per tyre + at an hours labour to fit it'll be expensive every 2-3 years

• 2 weeks later...

what sort of tyre mileage do you get with your xvs 1300 midnight star ?. and what is the best make for high milage . im on the standard bridestone exedra,s but they seem to be going down "fast"

im now on my third set of bridgestones and despite taking bike to tyre dealer they insisted that the tyres i wanted didnt exist..even though she was sat on them...... so as it was i searched the net and found a place in germany.... even with postage they were cheaper than here in the uk. rear came out at 102 quid an front at 85 quid

ive done a total of 28000 in two years, i had heard that could use car tyres but getting a dealer that would fit them was near enough impossible...mutterd something about liability an such mumbo jumbo.

i live in torbay and a friend also has the same bike....so he is interested in different tyres that are readily available

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if they make them for the 1300 wheel size, but I purchased a Pirelli Route for $105 US, and it has out-lasted all other tires i've tried since owning the bike. I'm sitting at 14K miles so far on the Route. Looking like I'll need a new rear skin in maybe another 1-2k.

I'm happy

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online