XV 125 Valve Clearance & Carb Mixture adjustment

Les.R
This post is 4733 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my son has a xv125, any advise on how to adjust the valve clearance, what the clearances should be & also the setting of the air/fule mixture screw on the carb would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Les

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, my son has a xv125, any advise on how to adjust the valve clearance, what the clearances should be & also the setting of the air/fule mixture screw on the carb would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Les

hello ....not sure on what the clearance should be ... :blink: but if you can take the valve covers off, well done! (they tend to seize on)

as to the idle screw it should be about 1 and a half turns out from seated....but every engine is different so there is a little trick to find what urs should be.

warm engine up, turn idle screw up so it sounds like the choke is on (keep choke off), turn the screw in slowly! engine dips, (dont let it cut out)

turn the screw out 1/4 turn a time, engine revs go up, when the revs have gone as high as they can when turning the screw out, stop.

you need to get the mix screw on the point where anymore turns out wont affect the revs.

turn idle screw down ....job done. :D oh and something is telling me 0.25 (for valve clearance) but dont hold me to it...as i dont know.

........ oh and something is telling me 0.25 (for valve clearance) but dont hold me to it...as i dont know.

Back in the day when I used to tinker with 4 strokes there were different settings for inlet and exhaust clearance. Why do you want to adjust it anyway Les?

Why do you want to adjust it anyway Les?

Hi, ty for your replies :D

oldgitonabike, dont take this the wrong way, as we all know, moving parts wear, valve clearance affecting the valve timing,& overall running of the engine, opening/closing at wrong times, not allowing enough fuel/air into the cylinders, not purging the old gases, etc etc, so thought it would be an ideal time to check & adjust, sure you would have done it, or it would have been done on a major service,

thanks for your time to reply, much appreciated.

Les