test advice.

jimbyatt
This post is 4735 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I'm planning on doing my full motorbike test this year, got my theory test in a few weeks. I can't make my mind up wether to do a restricted license or a direct access and was hoping for some advice. A massive part of me wants something a bit quicker than my ybr 125(not silly fast, but with the ability to overtake on A roads for example and do some more 'spirited' b road rides in the sun), but the sensible part thinks, 'stick to it for a another year or 2 and then move on once the restriction ends' (and make the most of the 120+ mpg average). I'm not daft enough to think that I won't end up in hospital at some point because of bikes but I know after passing my car test and years of riding push bikes on the road that I feel more in control on 2 wheels than 4. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting some extra training which ever way and I commute daily in all sorts of weather so am racking up the miles quite quickly. Just wondered what peoples opinions/experiences of the 2 licences were really and also if theres any recomendations on rider training in Nottingham. I did my cbt at Beacon in Long Eaton who seemed pretty good but I've no real way of knowing as I don't know anyone else who's taken their test locally.(By the way the CBT is in no way enough to let people loose on their own after never having ridden before, but thats another post.......)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all. I'm planning on doing my full motorbike test this year, got my theory test in a few weeks. I can't make my mind up wether to do a restricted license or a direct access and was hoping for some advice. A massive part of me wants something a bit quicker than my ybr 125(not silly fast, but with the ability to overtake on A roads for example and do some more 'spirited' b road rides in the sun), but the sensible part thinks, 'stick to it for a another year or 2 and then move on once the restriction ends' (and make the most of the 120+ mpg average). I'm not daft enough to think that I won't end up in hospital at some point because of bikes but I know after passing my car test and years of riding push bikes on the road that I feel more in control on 2 wheels than 4. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting some extra training which ever way and I commute daily in all sorts of weather so am racking up the miles quite quickly. Just wondered what peoples opinions/experiences of the 2 licences were really and also if theres any recomendations on rider training in Nottingham. I did my cbt at Beacon in Long Eaton who seemed pretty good but I've no real way of knowing as I don't know anyone else who's taken their test locally.(By the way the CBT is in no way enough to let people loose on their own after never having ridden before, but thats another post.......)

Hi Jim, stick with Beacon, got me through my Full Access, Id recommend them. Your choice as to whether to go for DA or restricted. I knew what bike I wanted, 650 dragstar or 750 virago, and wasnt prepared to wait another 2 years or pay to have it restricted then derestricted again. Swot up on the theory test, there are some stupid questions (like whats the max width trailer you cna pull on a bike)pracitce with the internet based tests lots, and focus on the process one stage at a time ie dont think about stage 1 until the theory is done, dont think about stage 2 until stage 1 is done

Personally I would go straight for the DA, Opens the door up instantly with less cost. Getting a bike restricted costs money as it needs to have a certificate (in-case you have an accident etc.), plus for the sake of practicality you can still keep your YBR as a city/town commuter and have your big bike for the evenings and weekends.