xv 250 in an xvs 125\250 frame

littlepig
This post is 4762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Afternoon gents , after much talking bout it i have finally purchased the xv250 lump to mount in the draggy 125 frame. Bit on the expesive side but hey much cheaper than buying a complete bike.Anyway just wondering if any one has done this before ? Ive got the engine,gear box and starter but was wondering if the loom from the 125 is the same as the 250 ? also can i just up the jet on the xvs carb ? as i beleive its the same one used on the xvs 250.Other areas of concern are the air filter can i buy a k&n style for the xv250 or does it need the big airbox like the xvs 125 ? oh and are the out let manifolds the same on the draggys and viragos ? any help as always is very much appreciated .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

as far as i know the xvs is the newer version of the xv (engine wise) the cam timing is different so probably be wise to get an xv 250 ecu/icu (whatever u want to call it)

the airbox should be fine, but you will need to do some serious re-jetting of the carb to get it right.

as to the loom ur best bet would be to get a wiring diagram of both the xvs125 and the xv250

then compare them to eachother.

have confirmed its the same carb but is it just the main jet i need to change ? i beleive its a 110 but looking for a filter like yours paul and with a bit of luck the hawk pipes for the draggy will fit so im thinking mabye a 120 jet ? i bought a loom on ebay for a tenner so hoping that sorts that out.The cdi is hard to come buy, ive spotted one new for 80 knicker but it says its a derestricted cdi ? any advice ? cheers.Oh and hows the saddle coming on your build paul ? i'm looking to do the same but keeping the back struts seen an xvs on gumtree with the cropped bcak fender with the struts and looks ok.B)

have confirmed its the same carb but is it just the main jet i need to change ? i believe its a 110 but looking for a filter like yours paul and with a bit of luck the hawk pipes for the draggy will fit so im thinking maybe a 120 jet ? i bought a loom on ebay for a tenner so hoping that sorts that out.The cdi is hard to come buy, ive spotted one new for 80 knicker but it says its a derestricted cdi ? any advice ? cheers.Oh and hows the saddle coming on your build paul ? i'm looking to do the same but keeping the back struts seen an xvs on gumtree with the cropped bcak fender with the struts and looks ok.B)

you might get away with the carb, but if ur putting a filter on like mine ul have to play with the carb settings anyway. its gonna be a ball ache to sort out the mix but im sure ul get there. oh look on ebay for silicone pipe (like what u get for cars) as thats where i got mine from. if ur getting the unlimited cdi all that means is it has no rev limiter! so might be wise getting an electric rev counter/tachometer fitted (also from ebay) so you can keep an eye on it (plus it will come in handy for sorting the carb)

as to the seat, iv made a custom one...its not fitted yet as i need to make the bracket.

and finally iv sorted the fender mount problem :D if you cut the mount off up to the seat, you will need to put a brace on there (like the sissy bar on mine but it dont have to be a sissy bar, just a metal plate will do.) then there will be part of the frame that comes to an end (which u havent cut) its the ends of the triangle bit of the frame that u sit on. there should be a hole in the end of each one. weld a 10mm bit of studding in the hole (or chop the head off a bolt) then u can use that to mount a custom fender.

but if ur keeping the struts then have a look for some smaller suspension springs to lower it an inch or so, should make the back end look better.

and one last thing ........take ur time, the worst thing u can do is rush things, so limit urself to a job a day. iv been doing mine for a year now and its still not quite done. its getting there. still need to finish some bits and bobs. think there is about 14 things left to do. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online