Are k&n air filters that bad ?

Antz
This post is 4777 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok chappys i have a yamaha xj 600 1997, i have been tinkering with it and yes i no it is not a sports bike but as with anything i touch i like a little bit more!! it is my first big bike had her for 1 year to date!! but i just had a nice little full stainless jamo system put on and before i get the carbs balanced i thought about getting some direct air filters on the carbs, as in k&n or similar to that, everyone i no says no don't do it!!! but is it really that bad? i mean more air should result in a bit more umphh!!!????

please give me your thoughts oh great one's!! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok chappys i have a yamaha xj 600 1997, i have been tinkering with it and yes i no it is not a sports bike but as with anything i touch i like a little bit more!! it is my first big bike had her for 1 year to date!! but i just had a nice little full stainless jamo system put on and before i get the carbs balanced i thought about getting some direct air filters on the carbs, as in k&n or similar to that, everyone i no says no don't do it!!! but is it really that bad? i mean more air should result in a bit more umphh!!!????

please give me your thoughts oh great one's!! :D

No K+N filters are great, i have used several on different bikes over the years, its the pods that are no good.

Pods are only a performance boos to an engine tuned to run flat out with WOT so having still air is not an issue, you just want lots of it.

Or you want it for the looks and the noise, but performance :( .

They will cause bad running in bad weather, flat spots and hesitation. Its not so bad on 2 strokes running conventional slide carbs but CV's that work with inlet vacume get all stroppy with the uneven airflow. By all means fit them if you want but a replacement of your standard filter will work far far better.

TTS whan they tuned a 600 i had, told me that they will only remove the airbox for pods on bikes that run the drag strip, otherwise it requires a direct request from the customer.

Pods can cause all sort of problems the metal end caps start waves in th filter and stuff things up big time, go with foam ended filters if you wanna go with pods or a drop in K&N if they do one for your bike, best bet though is too leave your airbox.

No K+N filters are great, i have used several on different bikes over the years, its the pods that are no good.

Pods are only a performance boos to an engine tuned to run flat out with WOT so having still air is not an issue, you just want lots of it.

Or you want it for the looks and the noise, but performance :( .

They will cause bad running in bad weather, flat spots and hesitation. Its not so bad on 2 strokes running conventional slide carbs but CV's that work with inlet vacume get all stroppy with the uneven airflow. By all means fit them if you want but a replacement of your standard filter will work far far better.

TTS whan they tuned a 600 i had, told me that they will only remove the airbox for pods on bikes that run the drag strip, otherwise it requires a direct request from the customer.

Thankyou very much, i do have a K&N air filter replacement which i fitted when i bought the bike as i thought cheaper to pay 50 quid rather than 15.00 quid every year as i am keeping the bike for commuting, i don't want to buy the filters which cost £120.00 for x4 if it makes the bike run rough!! yes it does make the bike sound nice but i was hoping some one would say yes do it!! lol it will make it better!!! i appreciate your input. :)

Thankyou very much, i do have a K&N air filter replacement which i fitted when i bought the bike as i thought cheaper to pay 50 quid rather than 15.00 quid every year as i am keeping the bike for commuting, i don't want to buy the filters which cost £120.00 for x4 if it makes the bike run rough!! yes it does make the bike sound nice but i was hoping some one would say yes do it!! lol it will make it better!!! i appreciate your input. :)

your gonna do it anyway aren't you? ;)

your gonna do it anyway aren't you? ;)

lol :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online