Yamaha XS 650 US Custom

2oldeshoes
This post is 4779 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello There, Can any one help me, my 650 US custom has lost it's charging, so far through listening to others i have spent over £700 trying to fix it, i have replacd the brains/black box, carb diphrams, changed it to points, all because of it miss fireing, when the charge in the battery got low, i can do about 20 miles then the battery that is fully charged runs down, so it has to be the chargeing system, any ideas on what to look for next, would be welcome, thank you. Fred.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello There, Can any one help me, my 650 US custom has lost it's charging, so far through listening to others i have spent over £700 trying to fix it, i have replacd the brains/black box, carb diphrams, changed it to points, all because of it miss fireing, when the charge in the battery got low, i can do about 20 miles then the battery that is fully charged runs down, so it has to be the chargeing system, any ideas on what to look for next, would be welcome, thank you. Fred.

usually the voltage regulator, it puts juice into the field coil to generate power. the 650's also had brushes to the field coil so they could be shot. Spares from Mikes XS in USA or xs650shop.de in europe

more likely the field windings. Remove the brush block and measure between the 2 copper tracks. Less then 4.5 ohms bad so is no reading.

I say field windings as it seems to be suffering from reduced charging rather then a total loss of. You'll see by the price of the field windings this is a common failure

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online