xs400 ignition

micha
This post is 4757 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I'm Micha from the Netherlands and i have a beauty full 1979 xs400.

The bike stood still for about 10 years and ran again after replacing the old fuel. Now i want to get it running properly. can someone tell me how to adjust the ignition timing? i know that the breakers need a gap of 0.4 mm and that the bike sparks when they open, but my flywheel had multiple signs on it, how do i know which one to use?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello,

I'm Micha from the Netherlands and i have a beauty full 1979 xs400.

The bike stood still for about 10 years and ran again after replacing the old fuel. Now i want to get it running properly. can someone tell me how to adjust the ignition timing? i know that the breakers need a gap of 0.4 mm and that the bike sparks when they open, but my flywheel had multiple signs on it, how do i know which one to use?

use a strobe lamp and adjust to the right hand mark when it flashes. LT and RT is for the static setting only!

I managed to tune the ignition with the german manual, it now runs better.

Now i only need to tune the carburetors, i think he is running to lean. Is it possible to adjust the mixture with the screw on the front side of the carb(number 25 on this parts list http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400-2e-1978_model8665/partslist/C-01.html ) or is this only to adjust the idle air?

I managed to tune the ignition with the german manual, it now runs better.

Now i only need to tune the carburetors, i think he is running to lean. Is it possible to adjust the mixture with the screw on the front side of the carb(number 25 on this parts list http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400-2e-1978_model8665/partslist/C-01.html ) or is this only to adjust the idle air?

put it 3 1/2 turns out from the carb from lightly resting, or you'll snap off the delicate tip. In fact take them out and check they are really pointed, otherwise they have already been snapped off.

It has happened twice to me.

Seem to remember on the XS250/400 the LT and RT marks refer to Left and Right TDC (Top dead centre) positions. You should see LF and RF marks which is when the points should begin to open with the engine stopped (static)or when strobed with the engine ticking over. Tony.

Seem to remember on the XS250/400 the LT and RT marks refer to Left and Right TDC (Top dead centre) positions. You should see LF and RF marks which is when the points should begin to open with the engine stopped (static)or when strobed with the engine ticking over. Tony.

oops your right Tone :blush: rt = timimg for the valves and the rf = firing