Yamaha Sr 125 Engine help

appleUK
This post is 4110 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i am new to this forum so sorry if my post is in the wrong place,

I have a 1995 yamaha sr 125 which recently has had engine failure, now can someone please tell me if a 2002 yamaha sr 125 engine will work in my 1995 bike as no dealers or even yamaha its self can tell me the answer.

Thanks

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought a whole SR125 for £60 dunno what it is like though it has not run for 2 years

pick it up tomorrow evening, spannering begins friday ,

Merv

Thanks, yeah i was just worried didnt want to really spent 200 pounds on engine on ebay and 100 pounds on labour for it to not work

If everything is ok with the bike apart from engine go for it , there should be no reason for it not to work , your old unit will power the bikes electrics

& if it was ok before it should be in the new one , It is the only major difference, plus the new one will have automatic cct which is a plus & a different

carb that shouldn't be an issue & work near enough the same , They are very prone to top end failures, regular oil & filter changes valve clearances will

prevent that , you could refit the new flywheel etc to the old lump & sell it to get some cash back ?

Good luck with it :)

Haha yeah sorry the shop just to me its bottom end failure and would cost hundreds to fix and suggested getting a new engine but im finding it really hard to find them for my bike and the only one was from a 02 which the bikes look the same but yamaha or other deals werent sure if it would work

Alex

wel hang on til i get this thing and see if it is any good, if the thing is going to cost too much to get on the road i may be able to sell the motor to ya if that is any good

merv

what part of country are you - I have an old SR125 engine ( I replaced it because it was top end slap noisy ) and its sat in shed for a good 3 years but maybe 2 can make one good one ? Its free if you can collect - kent

• 1 year later...

take off the inspection cover over the exhaust valve first and have a look to see if it looks right and the valve is moving ok when the engine is turned, you shouldnt have much gap between the tappet and the valve when the piston is a tdc on the compression stroke although i dont know what the gap should be myself!

I get a feeling though that youre such a noob youre gonna struggle with all of this because lack of tools/experience/manual etc!

Valve clearance (cold):
Intake valve 0.05 to 0.09 mm
Exhaust valve 0.11 to 0.15 mm

Take out the spark plug.

Remove the 2 inspection covers at the top of the engine - the tappets are behind these.

On the left hand side of the lower engine there are 2 circular inspection covers. These have slots in them to allow them to be unscrewed. One in the center of the casting and one above it. Undo both of these.

The center cover should reveal the bolt on the end of the crank. You need to get a socket in here to manually turn the engine (anticlockwise).

Turn the engine until in the smaller inspection hole the pointed is aligned with a mark on the part that is turning.

When these marks aligned, adjust the tappets as above.

When you are turning the crank, both the tappets should be moving.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online