Few small problems with my Virago 125

squigmig
This post is 4751 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

no thats not the screw u want so whatever u do dont drill owt!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right sort of ignore the last post ....iv just had a look at my carb....ur right it is that screw but you shouldnt need to drill anything as the cap should just pull off ...

no 10 on the diagram is the mixture screw. :D

as to the pump (if your going off the diagram then its not the pump) the pump is a seperate componant to the carb but its just bolted to the frame so should be ok to take it off.

The idling problem is finally fixed, it sounds SO much better! Thanks for all the help with that, it really has made a difference.

But now I'm worried.. see, there was a distinctive smell of gasoline in the oil I removed. Not to mention the bloody disgusting state of it! all black and gloopy and gritty. my god you could tell the sump hadn't been removed in.. well, very many moons. I'm hoping it was just a consequence of the engine flooding some time in the past.. the bike runs fine, I'm guessing there would be quite a few problems if it was the result of a burst oil seal? I'm using the current oil to flush it, so I'll inspect that when it gets removed in a couple of days' time, see if the oil and gas are mixing or if that last batch was just contaminated.. somehow. :/ I have very little confidence in the previous owner.

Worrying though.. I'm no expert, but it's definitely NOT a good sign.

ummm no thats not a good sign at all but as u said lets hope its just a flooded engine in the past :unsure: if the bike starts up ok and runs fine then it should be ok .....but keep an eye on the oil.

and to keep ur mind at rest if it was a broke oil seal then you would get blue smoke from the exhaust or a leek. the only thing that would cause petrol to enter the crankcase is as you said a flooded engine or a stuck float needle in the carb.

but uv cleaned the carb and ur gonna look after the bike so dont worry about it

The idling problem is finally fixed, it sounds SO much better! Thanks for all the help with that, it really has made a difference.

But now I'm worried.. see, there was a distinctive smell of gasoline in the oil I removed. Not to mention the bloody disgusting state of it! all black and gloopy and gritty. my god you could tell the sump hadn't been removed in.. well, very many moons. I'm hoping it was just a consequence of the engine flooding some time in the past.. the bike runs fine, I'm guessing there would be quite a few problems if it was the result of a burst oil seal? I'm using the current oil to flush it, so I'll inspect that when it gets removed in a couple of days' time, see if the oil and gas are mixing or if that last batch was just contaminated.. somehow. :/ I have very little confidence in the previous owner.

Worrying though.. I'm no expert, but it's definitely NOT a good sign.

Well done ,pleased you're up and running :)

Given the description of the oil, I'd be inclined to get another oil and filter change in sometime perhaps after a couple of hundred miles or so, just to make sure that all the crap is out