Small bikes, long roads

MrLaister
This post is 4748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I'm looking into all the things I want to use my soon to be bike for after I buy it, other than the security aspect (posted: ) I wondered if it was possible to do long distances on it, although not reglarily.

I've had mixed responses from looking at previously posted topics on this forum and others, ranging from "NO, don't be daft!" to "sure, I go from london to Scotland every other day" - kind of responses. Asking my cycling instructor, they suggested not to try doing the 200 mile ride as it would shake me to pieces and my overheat my bike. But it must be possible in some capacity or another?

If it usually takes 4 hours in my car to do this trip with 1 break after 2 hours of driving, wouldn't it be feasible to do it in, say, 6 hours with 4-6 breaks? Would that be enough to cool the bike down and get the blood flowing in my legs again?

This wouldn't be a regular trip, but it'd be nice to take the bike up north once in a while to show it about :)

The bike is a YBR 125, and the route would be Kent - North Lincolnshire up the M25 - M11 - A1 - A46 - A15, or A1 most of the way.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done this trip, or similar, on a small sized bike and to hear how it went on.

MrL

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It will be no problem at all,,,,,,,,,,,if the bike is bran-new, wait till you have it propperly broken in first.

200 miles will be a breeze for the bike,,,,,,,,,,you on the other hand might be hurting a wee bit.

HTH B)

Hi McLaister, Stay off the Motorways if you can, Thay can kill a small bike, constant flat out to keep with traffic,

Two-wheels did ireland to yorkshire, on a DT125 , Card.b.dave & I did Rippon to Ace Cafe , [ 280mls] on two-strokes , we kept to the A class roads , more to look at also.

So give her a blast . - As they say Those who are afraid to fall,---- Will never Fly , B)

So I'm looking into all the things I want to use my soon to be bike for after I buy it,

The bike is a YBR 125, and the route would be Kent - North Lincolnshire up the M25 - M11 - A1 - A46 - A15, or A1 most of the way.

MrL

I'm puzzled........If you are a learner, you won't be able to use the Motorways, and if you've passed your test why are you buying a 125cc machine?

It is perfectly possible and unless something goes wrong the bike will not overheat. I would pay far more attention to what you are going to wear on such a trip. I froze on my big road trip as I did not have enough layers on.

Big rides are all part of the fun in having your freedom.

I went from Reading to Cornwall and back on a 125.

You'll be stopping roughly every 120 miles for fuel anyway, so take that opportunity to stretch your legs, grab a coffee, relax for a bit. Stop whenever you feel like it - Do NOT soldier on.

• Get decent kit. Pack an extra jumper, headover and maybe a set of thermals or something. Better to have and not need than the other way around. Same for waterproofs!!
  • Eat well - Get a full meal in at least half an hour before you set off. Try to stick with foods that are not thick, heavy, stodgy stuff and favour things that release energy slowly.
  • Make sure the bike is in top condition and that you have some sort of roadside recovery facility (either RAC, AA or a service provided in your insurance).
  • Take a mobile phone, if you have one.
  • If you're taking a load, ie camping kit, make sure it's secure and well packed. Unbalanced, unsecured or un-aerodynamic loads will mess up your ride in many ways....

Take your time.

Don't worry about getting there at any particular time. In fact, forget the clock completely.

Enjoy the ride and live the journey - for each destination is but a doorway to another.

I did South Wales to North Devon on my YBR last year, and the return trip a few days later.

This a 200 mile trip each way. Encountered no problems whatsoever other than a sore backside. It even managed it on a single tank of fuel.

By car (mostly motorway) you'd be looking at a little over 3 hours. By bike it was somewhere between 6 and 7 hours due to the fact you're on much smaller roads and have a top whack of about 60-65mph.

Covered 70 miles on the Sunday just passed in a single trip, again not a single hiccup, and far far cheaper than going by car.

I'll be passing through either direct access or restricted access (haven't decided yet) and will use the bike for a commute - where the fuel economy is the most important factor. I can't find a larger sized bike that gets anywhere near the fuel economy of the ybr 125. I would like a bigger bike, but my wallet just can't take the strain atm

It is about the planning, not the cc. I have seen some Polish guys (ones that still live in Poland BTW) on 125 CZ's at racetracks in France.

As previously advised, stay off the motorway. This will be difficult given that it screams motorways. I would plan for an average of 40mph and stop after 2 hours. Look at the A10 and A1 to get you into the midlands (depending on where in Kent you are).

they suggested not to try doing the 200 mile :unsure:

The bike is a YBR 125, and the route would be Kent - Scotland,

Aye Mclaister. I think the milage is a bit on the short side, London to the border is about 320. ,,,, Edinburgh is a farther 90mls, its a good 8 hrs , thats on motorways ,

Pat " [two-wheeels] How long was you on the DT125 , from Stranraer to Squires , ?

Great first post this by the way , :)

Aye Mclaister. I think the milage is a bit on the short side, London to the border is about 320. ,,,, Edinburgh is a farther 90mls, its a good 8 hrs , thats on motorways ,

Pat " [two-wheeels] How long was you on the DT125 , from Stranraer to Squires , ?

Great first post this by the way , :)

Off the top of me head,,,,,,,, i think it took 5 hours,,,,,,,,,,that was with fuel stops (3) and a few fag brakes.

Cant remember how many miles that part of me journey was. Mabey 250 miles !

I wasnt holdin back either, when i was on the move i was doin a steady 60mph and 70 on the motorway.

MrLaister, whatever miles you have to cover, it takes longer time on a 125,,,,,,,,so i think Blackhat250 might be right,,,,,,,,,a 200 mile journey Might take you 4 hours :huh:

EDIT :

Dont be disheartened though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Off ya go,,,,you will enjoy or you Should enjoy :)

I'll be passing through either direct access or restricted access (haven't decided yet) and will use the bike for a commute - where the fuel economy is the most important factor. I can't find a larger sized bike that gets anywhere near the fuel economy of the ybr 125. I would like a bigger bike, but my wallet just can't take the strain atm

Ah Ha! All becomes clear.

You're quite right, you will struggle to find a larger capacity bike which will come anywhere near the mpg of a 125, and the insurance an tax costs are a whole lot less as well. But I've always been of the opinion that you really ought to get the bike you want, regardless of the practicalities, because you'll never be satisfied with second best and it'll eat away at you until you give in to temptation and buy what you wanterd anyway, having wasted a load of cash trying to be sensible.

Whilst we're on the subject of fuel economy, how come as motorcyclists, we get screwed...............for another thread perhaps.

Good luck on your travels, I'd prefer something with a bit of grunt to pound the miles on, but whatever gets you through the night I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I did about 100 miles yesterday, just for fun. I made a point of relaxing, not even trying to keep up with the traffic and not worrying about cars stuck behind me. Funny thing was I am sure I did the same speeds I would usually do and did keep up with the traffic. Losing a couple of miles an hour makes for a much more pleasurable ride with hardly any loss in real world performance.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online