Honda CBR400RR Project

ChristianSRA
This post is 4789 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys it's been a while and thats because me and my dad have been working on a new project bike for when I'm 17 and will be using my dads YZF R125 so he bought a 1989 CBR400RR which had been streetfightered and we are currently restoring it back to a stock bike and will then be purchasing a TYGA body kit to bring it up to date (In terms of visual appeasement). Currently what has been done is we've rewired the bike so that the lights all work again and removed the old subframe since it had been cut in half and will be looking to buy a new one soon enough. Personally I am not a big fan of Honda's work but the TYGA kit looks like something especially nice.

Pictures to follow soon :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy Christian,

I on the other hand Do like Honda's,,,,yes there not the prittyest to look at but they are built to last and have a good engine.

What was the subframe cut in half for ?

Its a very good idea to re-wire the bikes electricks !

I sugest you take a good look at the engine before you spend money on other parts.

Unfortunatily the 400rr you have bought does not have the strongest engine in hondas range.

Spend money on getting the valves done propperly,,,this engine is prone to having valve problems,,,,,,they need to be spot on or the bike will run like a pig when it warms up !

The cam chain can also be a problem area,,,,,so take a good look at that and keep the tensioner at the right setting.

I am not trying to frighten you away from the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are a good bike,,,,,you just need to keep on top of any noises you start to here and correct the issues straight away.

Best of luck with the project

Howdy Christian,

I on the other hand Do like Honda's,,,,yes there not the prittyest to look at but they are built to last and have a good engine.

What was the subframe cut in half for ?

Its a very good idea to re-wire the bikes electricks !

I sugest you take a good look at the engine before you spend money on other parts.

Unfortunatily the 400rr you have bought does not have the strongest engine in hondas range.

Spend money on getting the valves done propperly,,,this engine is prone to having valve problems,,,,,,they need to be spot on or the bike will run like a pig when it warms up !

The cam chain can also be a problem area,,,,,so take a good look at that and keep the tensioner at the right setting.

I am not trying to frighten you away from the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are a good bike,,,,,you just need to keep on top of any noises you start to here and correct the issues straight away.

Best of luck with the project

Hi there 2 wheels

The subframe was cut in half by the previous owner for some reason beyond me the seat didn't even seem to stay on properly but each to their own I suppose. Thanks very much for the information on the bike because I know relatively little about it. It doe's sound like the downpipes are split somewhere when its actually running so will definitely have to look into that :)

Look forward to pics, tyga kits can look well. Have you seen K Conversions kits? Also look very nice, worth a look

Well with the Tyga kit we are looking to do a dual pipe conversion (not sure if we will but its a possibility) yeah we did look at the K Conversion kit but that looks like a no go now the antics in Japan. We were in contact with the dealer listed on ebay about a new fuel tap but it seems unlikely they will be replying to us anytime soon unfortunately :(