Make my bike go faster

Dragstar Girl
This post is 4766 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there,

I have had my Dragstar 125cc for about a year. It is 8 years old. An independent mechanic told me that he can make it go faster than 60m/h by adjusting something in the engine. I am sick of being left behind when on Motorway and want to go faster. Would you recommend doing those adjustments or not? can this harm the bike in any way?

Thanks anyone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Was he looking at your face when he told you this ? , or somewhere else :unsure:

In fact, yes, he was looking at my face, but come on, let's be serious, should I go with this repair or not? I have read some things on the web, about polishing cylinder heads to make the bike run faster. Has anyone had anything like this done?

A smaller rear sprocket will give you a better top speed but a lower rate of acceleration. I wouldn't mess with the engine. I would recommend that you get a bigger cc bike. I assume that you have passed your test as you mention motorway riding. If you have not passed you test I would still say that get the test done and but a bigger cruiser is the best option.

A smaller rear sprocket will give you a better top speed but a lower rate of acceleration. I wouldn't mess with the engine. I would recommend that you get a bigger cc bike. I assume that you have passed your test as you mention motorway riding. If you have not passed you test I would still say that get the test done and but a bigger cruiser is the best option.

Thanks for your advice ;-)

Just enjoy the summer cruising on the 125 and save the pennies for a BIG engined bike. Remember, the slower you go the more the people who will see you.

Hello there,

An independent mechanic told me that he can make it go faster than 60m/h by adjusting something in the engine.

well unless he is fitting a 250cc kit to it (there isnt one) then he is havin u on love....(no offence) but probably cause ur a girl.(mechanics tend to try it on to get some more pennies)

the only thing you could do to it to make it faster at top end is a sprocket change but that will only gain you aboot 5mph :blink:

so best advice on this one would be to sell it and move on to something bigger im afraid B) either that or enjoy it for what it is and avoid the motorway..?

How ya doin,,,,,,DragstarGirl

60mph is good for a little Drag

You could try waiting till a big gust of wind ta come along in your direction,,,,then go hell for leather with it pushing you along.:lol:

Only messin with ya !

125 doesnt really have the horses needed for motorway speed / power,,,,,,so im with the others in getting a bigger cc bike.

hope this helps

Hello there,

I have had my Dragstar 125cc for about a year. It is 8 years old. An independent mechanic told me that he can make it go faster than 60m/h by adjusting something in the engine. I am sick of being left behind when on Motorway and want to go faster. Would you recommend doing those adjustments or not? can this harm the bike in any way?

Thanks anyone

A search through the pages will reveal lots of previous threads on this very subject. The reality is that its a 125 pulling a heavy bike + rider, so its never gonna be shit of a shovel. Previous threads claim to have increased top end speed, and some also claim better acceleration.

At the end of the day its a balance based on your requirements. I dont go much for tinkering with the carb, negligble benefit.

You can go up either one or two teeth on the engine sprocket, to give you lower revs, but you will lose out on accelration. Ive settled on one tooth up at the engine sprocket, and thats it.

You can also go down in teeth on the rear sprocket along the same lines.

Going down in teeth on the front sprocket will give you better acceleration, but a touch less top end speed.

Ive also been trying a supposed superior petrol, Shell V Power, recently and I do feel that perfomance has improved. Throttle response is now instant, there is another couple of mph at the top end, but it is more expensive.

Youre always gonna be left behind on the motorway on this bike, Pauls advice is spot on. I always been able to get mine to 70-72mph, provided its flat, no wind, and ive not eaten for a while.

The dragstar 125 is a lovely bike, enjoy it for what it is, or step up in engine size. :)

Welcome dragster girl" This is where the two-stroke triumphs over the 4stroke, B) The Dtr & DT125"s can be modified easily , check out the de-restricting threads, they top 80mph, :rolleyes:

And a member on here [ C.B.D] Has a dtr125 tops 90mph.....:o Yeh it can embarrace some 400cc bikes, & To think 2 stroke "s will be out-lawed some day , :(

Hello there,

Thanks anyone

but you should still be able to better 60mph.

Check to make sure that the drive chain isn't too tight

but you should still be able to better 60mph.

Check to make sure that the drive chain isn't too tight

What top speed do you get ?

I've had it over 70 :)

Yeh " & to think, A Garelli Tiger X, 50cc Moped. did 55 mph in 1975,,, :rolleyes:

So its took 36 years , fuel injection , another 70cc to get anothe 15mph,,,, :D

I used to get around 74-76mph from my 125.

It's all in how you ride it.

Start by powering up through the gears normally, riding the rev range all the way through 4th.

Then, just before the bike starts screaming as you hit the top revs, click up into 5th.

Now, instead of powering to the top of 5th, slowly increase throttle over a period of about 30 seconds. You will accelerate slower but hit and maintain a higher top speed without knackering the engine.

The only pain in the arse is if you have to slow down.

Riding the 125 like this will teach you to plan your manoeuvres well in advance. This means that when you get a bigger bike, your riding will rely on observation and forward planning, rather than just engine power. It's a good habit to have!

Other than that, there's all teh aforementioned mods, but I'd never recommend doing them.

Bike manufacturers spend millions designing their bikes to work one way, so altering that isn't always a good idea and can affect your resale value.

Yes, but the time you've done all that-are you still in the same country ? :P

at the end of the day its a 125 .....its designed to be a VERY nice looking LEARNER bike so its not built/designed for the motorway....... :(

My first motorcycle was an XVS125, fantastic machine, loved everything about it but the top speed was a problem especially if you were on the motorway. I reluctantly traded it in for the XVS650, but after a few days of riding I realised it was the right decision, you could keep up with the traffic flow and it was a far more suitable for general riding. I now have the XVS1300 which is a fantastic bike but I think the 650 is still my favorite machine.

Yes, but the time you've done all that-are you still in the same country ? :P

I was even still in the same county!!

Then again, I was planning the ride properly. Best part was being able to keep pace with a club full of bigger bikes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online