Oil pump question

This post is 4771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a question about the oil pump on a '78 DT175. If the oil tank were located lower than the pump will it suck the oil up or is it strickly a push pump? I'm building a street trike andwish to install an oil tank farther back and lower under the solo seat I've built. the tank top would be about even with the inlet to the pump as far as height goes so it would need to pump up a 6-8 inch incline max.

Thanks for your time guys

My link

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't answer the question but I do not think I have ever seen a custom 2 stroke trike. B)

Good luck with it!

Got a question about the oil pump on a '78 DT175. If the oil tank were located lower than the pump will it suck the oil up or is it strickly a push pump? I'm building a street trike andwish to install an oil tank farther back and lower under the solo seat I've built. the tank top would be about even with the inlet to the pump as far as height goes so it would need to pump up a 6-8 inch incline max.

Thanks for your time guys

My link

I wouldn't think that 2 stroke pump would lift oil over that distance. It only shifts a tiny amount of oil so drawing oil down a pipe that length is at best a hope.

Considering how important the 2 stroke oil is, if the tank will go nowhere else then i'd be blanking the pump off and using premix.

Is that engine not a little weedy for dragging a trike chassis around?

I wouldn't think that 2 stroke pump would lift oil over that distance. It only shifts a tiny amount of oil so drawing oil down a pipe that length is at best a hope.

Considering how important the 2 stroke oil is, if the tank will go nowhere else then i'd be blanking the pump off and using premix.

Is that engine not a little weedy for dragging a trike chassis around?

Well this trike is being built for my son who graduates this year. He has his car license but has Autism

as well. I'm building this as a slightly beef moped idea. It'll get him around on the back roads but wont be a highway machine. You can see what I've done so far by following this link My link

I think I'll run premix and the oil pump as well. If the level goes down in the oil tank then I'll stop with the premix. Even with synthetic it should smoke like an early 70's farm beater lol

If it needs gravity as well as the pump, have you considered using an enduro type fork mounted plastic tank for the 2 stroke?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online