XJ600 pre divvy engine dies on the go

Barcus
This post is 4795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

I am relatively new to this type of forum stuff, so bear with me... I've been reading quite a few topics though, and it seems a great system for sharing ideas and info.

My problem / issue is this:-

my bike starts fine and goes well, but occasionally, she will simply die in mid-flow... It is as if I have turned the engine off. It's quite like a fuel starvation, but I know fuel tap is on etc...

I have noticed that the kill switch on the right handle bar seems dodgy... sometimes works and other times nothing but a click. Then, after a few momoents standing, and several clicks on the kill switch... off she goes again with no problems until the next time it happens the same thing! The fuse box seems to be held together with blu-tac! Not sure whether that would be a problem, but want to replace that with a good one with all contacts etc in good order (so if anyone has scrap one to sell, please let me know). I am unsure whether this is elctrical or fuel starvation, but seems I should explore those avenues which seem most apparent first.... ie... kill switch and fuse box. Please let me know what you think.

Also, my engine (29k miles) seems pretty rattly (although the MOT guy said it was fine) so I wondered if anyone could advise on tightening / adjusting the cam chain tensioner? Does the tensioner do so automatically on these or do I have to unscreww the bolts and do it manually? Should I adjust with the engine running so I can hear the difference too? Thanks for your comments in anticipation. CHEERS. Justin :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone.

I am relatively new to this type of forum stuff, so bear with me... I've been reading quite a few topics though, and it seems a great system for sharing ideas and info.

My problem / issue is this:-

my bike starts fine and goes well, but occasionally, she will simply die in mid-flow... It is as if I have turned the engine off. It's quite like a fuel starvation, but I know fuel tap is on etc...

I have noticed that the kill switch on the right handle bar seems dodgy... sometimes works and other times nothing but a click. Then, after a few momoents standing, and several clicks on the kill switch... off she goes again with no problems until the next time it happens the same thing! The fuse box seems to be held together with blu-tac! Not sure whether that would be a problem, but want to replace that with a good one with all contacts etc in good order (so if anyone has scrap one to sell, please let me know). I am unsure whether this is elctrical or fuel starvation, but seems I should explore those avenues which seem most apparent first.... ie... kill switch and fuse box. Please let me know what you think.

Also, my engine (29k miles) seems pretty rattly (although the MOT guy said it was fine) so I wondered if anyone could advise on tightening / adjusting the cam chain tensioner? Does the tensioner do so automatically on these or do I have to unscreww the bolts and do it manually? Should I adjust with the engine running so I can hear the difference too? Thanks for your comments in anticipation. CHEERS. Justin :blink:

If your not reading the other replies why should we bother with this one, Kirre and myself (after finding and reading a wiring diagram to give you an acurate answer) gave you options for the kill switch, have you tried them?

Or will you just wait a while and write another question. <_<

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online