mechanical problem XV535 , help needed please

ABxv535
This post is 4672 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, was going to get my carbs striped and cleaned next week, bike wasn't running right because of it, but now got worse...I have this problem since i run out of fuel... bike didn't run well but after a bit of being running got better and could do 70/80mph no problem, took the bike to the garage to get it sprayed and was running okish... but now can't get it over 45mph and is running really bad... if i try to put the choke on engine turns off , front cylinder is getting hot but back one takes a long time to warm up but doesn't get hot like the front one... by the way when i serviced the bike last week there was no fuel filter had a coper pipe in its place instead , so new fuel filter was fitted. but like i said the bike hasn't been running well for some time, just got worse now. checked the diaphragm on the carbs and they are ok... could it be that the rear carb is blocked and not letting fuel in?? there's pressure coming from both exhaust pipes and sounds like both cylinders are working, checked fuel pump and that's working as well, the only thing i knew was that i had a problem was with the carbs, needing cleaning...now even after a 10 mile run the rear cylinder is still just warm to touch wile the front one is hot and there's no power and top speed is 45mph ish. so help needed please... will be taking bike to garage tomorrow to be looked at Tuesday (carbs striped and cleaned)so all the advise will be very helpfull and welcome.

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, was going to get my carbs striped and cleaned next week, bike wasn't running right because of it, but now got worse...I have this problem since i run out of fuel... bike didn't run well but after a bit of being running got better and could do 70/80mph no problem, took the bike to the garage to get it sprayed and was running okish... but now can't get it over 45mph and is running really bad... if i try to put the choke on engine turns off , front cylinder is getting hot but back one takes a long time to warm up but doesn't get hot like the front one... by the way when i serviced the bike last week there was no fuel filter had a coper pipe in its place instead , so new fuel filter was fitted. but like i said the bike hasn't been running well for some time, just got worse now. checked the diaphragm on the carbs and they are ok... could it be that the rear carb is blocked and not letting fuel in?? there's pressure coming from both exhaust pipes and sounds like both cylinders are working, checked fuel pump and that's working as well, the only thing i knew was that i had a problem was with the carbs, needing cleaning...now even after a 10 mile run the rear cylinder is still just warm to touch wile the front one is hot and there's no power and top speed is 45mph ish. so help needed please... will be taking bike to garage tomorrow to be looked at Tuesday (carbs striped and cleaned)so all the advise will be very helpfull and welcome.

cheers

Yes it could have a blockage to the fuel feed in the rear cylinder, either at the carb or the pump (depending on the plumbing arrangement)

Thanks for your reply m8, that's the only thing i can think of as well, took the bike to work today so our mechanic can strip and clean my carbs next week,( if problem still there after anything else you think i should look into?) it was bad this morning top speed 45mph /25mph going up the hill :( , there's a strong smell of fuel as well when i got to work but couldn't see any fuel anywhere ... by the time i got to work(13mile run) back cylinder was still cold, so i'm guessing rear cylinder isn't working. when i put my hand in front of the exhaust pipe front is blowing hot rear is blowing cold. so any advise will be very welcome... never had so many problems with a bike! :( it''s starting to look good, just need to make run good!!

sounds like your back cylinder isnt firing at all, under no circumstances should you be riding it like that, I cant believe you are riding it 13 miles.

You should remove the spark plug from the back cyl and check for sparks, it seems there is some fuel getting there, it will go through to the exhaust, thats what you can smell. Who knows how much fuel you have in the exhaust after that amount of miles? just make sure nobody stands behind it for a while ;)

I know... that was bad! :rolleyes: I had no choice I had to ride it to work, I didn't have any other way to get it there :( , I have straight pipes, if fuel's getting into the exhaust shouldn't i be able to see it coming out from the exhaust? if there's fuel going to the exhaust it wasn't showing, exhaust wasn't wet when i got to work... but will check tomorrow for a spark. if there no spark on the back cylinder what could be the problem? the spark plug?? they were both replaced less than 200 mile ago...will order new one tomorrow and just replace them... but cant do anything about the carbs an till tuesday ( striped and cleaned ), that's too technical for me!!! thanks for your advise

if you dont have a spark, try putting the front plug in the back and check again, at least you know the front one is a good one. That should eliminate a duff plug fault. place jump starter leads round the threads and connect them to a good earth when checking, or wrap some bare wire around them also securely grounded.

will do mate, thanks for your advise, will let you know tomorrow if it worked. just to eliminate this problem i will just get them both replaced anyway. and them hope with a good clean on the carbs it will be running as good as it looks! :) Is it very common to get so many problems with the XV535??? :(

Hi ABxv535

I think the advice that you've got from Oldgitonabkie is dead on...and if you smell gas but cann't see a leak then the gas is not burning and being dumped into the exhaust pipe, so be carefull if you have to crank it over a lot to get it started 'cause it could be one hell of a big backfire.

I have a 535 and its been a great bike.. the only problem was an air leak in the carb.

Rocky

There's a spark coming from the plugs, but they were very black so I'm guessing that it's running very rich, back plug was actually wet with fuel. There's fuel coming out from the over flow on the front carb , got two new plugs to be fitted after carbs are properly clean next week.

"I have a 535 and its been a great bike.. the only problem was an air leak in the carb.

Rocky "

Hi Rocky , don't take me wrong, i love my bike and since I was 16 I always wanted to get an xv 535 , love it to bits , just haven't been very lucky with it so far, every time I get something done something else goes wrong!! but it's getting there now, fingers crossed ! :D

Pugs now replaced (rear plug was no good)and carbs been striped & cleaned ( dont think they were ever done before, they were full of crap)front float was stuck( now sorted) , have a new air filter on order, should arrive tomorrow , just needs to be put back together and see if it's running as it should !

AB did you strip down the carbs your self?? Difficulty rating.

Need to do mine,but my bike is stored at work so i was wondering if its too bike a job to do there. Should i wait and do itat home??

Razor :thumb:

AB did you strip down the carbs your self?? Difficulty rating.

Need to do mine,but my bike is stored at work so i was wondering if its too bike a job to do there. Should i wait and do itat home??

Razor :thumb:

Hi realrayzor, no It wasn't me doing the job, I asked our mechanic to do it for me, too many small bit for me to try to do it... My carbs were in need of a good clean, so they had to be removed striped and properly clean, but our mechanic told me next time he may only have to take the side covers to give it a minor clean( the 2 covers each side of the carbs) on the left you have the floats right you have DIAPHRAGM. but it wouldn't be something I would try to do it myself. but my bike mechanical skills are very limited ... :unsure:

im guessing that the bike is now running properly ABxv535? :D

oh and Razor carbs arnt that hard to clean (there quite simple in that respect, 2 covers, float, diaphragm, needle, spring, 2 jets,) its setting them back up properly and tryin not to "misplace" any bits thats the tricky bit :huh: but if you dont mess with the settings (mix screw and sync) then you should be ok. difficulty rating...?? about as hard as a sprocket set change but not as hard as a weiring job. so say... 4 out of 10 :D

im guessing that the bike is now running properly ABxv535? :D

oh and Razor carbs arnt that hard to clean (there quite simple in that respect, 2 covers, float, diaphragm, needle, spring, 2 jets,) its setting them back up properly and tryin not to "misplace" any bits thats the tricky bit :huh: but if you dont mess with the settings (mix screw and sync) then you should be ok. difficulty rating...?? about as hard as a sprocket set change but not as hard as a weiring job. so say... 4 out of 10 :D

No Mate It's NOT!!! :angry: We've spend most of the day round it and it's still not right, carbs been now cleaned took for test ride and was running like a bag of sh*t! and when put choke on it would cut out...looked at the plugs again , and back plug was very black compared with front on, looked into needles on the right hand side of carbs dropped a notch and was running bit better, plugs were better as well... but put choke on it would cut out and still not running right , half turn on the trotle (rev) its ok, up to 65mph, try to give it some and it's running very lumpy ... striped carbs again including choke checked all , put back together , running better and choke is now working... but still not running right!!! :angry: still lumpy but better than it was! don't know what else to do! had full service, carbs cleaned, new hi-flow air filter, clean fuel... don't know what else to do! :unsure: , we're having another go at it tomorrow! I'm so pissed off!

hi mate, is it possible that your tappets are too tight? this will give bad running.

when i bought mine it had had a so called service but it run as rough as a bears ar*e the tappets had been overtightened and the warmer it got the worse it got.

i set them at the correct settings and it has run great ever since.

i guess the diaphrams are o.k? and the fuel is fresh.

keep trying mate it will be well worth it when the bike is running right.

Leave the choke alone-you shouldn't need it unless its nearly zero outside

hi m8 , we didn't touch tappets when service was done... so don't think thats the problem, diaphrams are ok and put fresh fuel as well... that's why i don't know what else to do next! :(