XS400 Pods setups. seen any angled setups direct on carbs?

kindest
This post is 4760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im trying to convert to pods (documenting the process for a future guide to help others)

and from what Ive read on here other people with xs400/360+pods have always used the pods on the

end of the rubber boots because of the room between the battery box. see picture

th_031596137_IMG_1511_122_512lo.JPG

There is only 3 1/2 inches from the carb to the battery box. I did just now find a 15 degree

angled uni pod 4" long / 57mm ID which would be perfect to hook direct to the carbs.. my question is do you think it will fit with the angle.. cause no way straight it would.

<insert that's what she said jokes>

:lol:

I also just found out parts and more have

yamaha oem replacments for only 14.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs400/?filters[fitting]=custom

so worst case Im going to scrap the pods+rejet and get those.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your better off with the oem filters IMHO, saves a lot of messing.

I'm only sticking on pods for the tracker for asthetic reasons!

your better off with the oem filters IMHO, saves a lot of messing.

I'm only sticking on pods for the tracker for asthetic reasons!

lol I was afraid you would say that. I want mine to be aesthetically pleasing too! but I hear ya there is a lot of messing with the carbs needed which I probably will screw up.. kill the bike's current running fine operation... and make 100x more work for me.

lol I was afraid you would say that. I want mine to be aesthetically pleasing too! but I hear ya there is a lot of messing with the carbs needed which I probably will screw up.. kill the bike's current running fine operation... and make 100x more work for me.

thats the trade off mate!

i had a hell of a time tuning after the pod set up ..but i also switched to straght pipes in the long run it was worth it love the way it look's and sounds

now

i had a hell of a time tuning after the pod set up ..but i also switched to straght pipes in the long run it was worth it love the way it look's and sounds

now

lol noooooooooooo. im super jealous. I figured out that the angled ones won't fit on a molding I made. I did find a 3 1/2 inch one that I think will fit between the carb and the battery box with no other mod needed.. they were only 5 bucks on ebay so I'm gonna try it. What tuning issues did you run into? I'am under the impression just upgrading the 2 jets one size is basically all you need to do.. probably the carb gasket as well. I figure if it doesn't work out ok I can always go back stock. I actually have a spare carb so I'm not too worried. :o

• 1 month later...

well here is my update. i re-jetted and put pods on. my idle seems perfect and the bike sounds a lot throatier/deeper now.

I guess I got lucky cause I didn't do anything except go up one size on the main and pilot. didn't touch anything else

and it seems to idle / run great.

here is my little guide.

The Carburetor is a Mikuni BS34. The Service manual says Main Jet = 135, Pilot Jet 42.5

So I ordered from mikexs Pilot Jet - BS30/96 Type #45 Pilot Jet - Part #48-0607

Main Jet - Large Round Type - #137.5 Main Jet - Large Round Type - N100/604 Part #48-0120

and from eBay 2 54mm Universal Pods since the carb opening is 54mm.

the specs were ID 54mm /Overall Height:3.5" / Outside Diameter at Widest Point: 3" / Outside Diameter at Top: 2"

and also from eBay a 12mm Air Breather Pod Vent Intake (stuck a double A battery in the rubber for a week to

stretch the rubber so it would fit on my breather)

Step one open float part of the carb and you will see

rejet1jetlocations.jpg

unscrew the pilot jet and main jet and you will then have

rejet3zoomofjets.jpg

screw in the new jets and put back together. attach vent pod, reattach carb, then throw the pods on.

finished product

img1517g.jpg

img1514n.jpg

img1523j.jpg

another note when the carb is open spray it real good with carb cleaner for grins. also if I can do this anyone can.. cause I don't know diddly.

good write up! I'l copy and paste it to the sticky in classics

:thumb:

good write up! I'l copy and paste it to the sticky in classics

:thumb:

I just finished this mod, actually. The 4 inch Uni foam straights will fit, though the left pod is up against the battery box a little. I got mine to work with going up one on the main, and leaving everything else stock. I did have to go 5.5 turns out on the mixture screws. She runs pretty well, but with the occasional back fire through the carbs. Not a bit deal.

Good luck.