1989 Wiring Loom?

LiamDTR
This post is 4803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heya folks!

I've been looking around for a 1989 DTR wiring loom and I'm starting to think I'm more likely to get shat on by a rocking horse...

Managed to find a bike shop locally that could get one in for me at £100 but I'm thinking that sounds rather over-priced? Frasers of Gloucester by the way! They are a little renowned for being overpriced!!

As I mentioned before in another post I have an entire loom exluding the L/H switch gear waiting for me, it's £25 but I believe it could be an 1996+ would this be a huge fail if I tried to connect it? I know the bike will pass its MOT without any of the lights as mechanically it's solid.. but to be honest I really HATE the idea of having no lights!

Do you guys know of anywhere at all where I could purchase a full loom excluding switch gear for a better price as I get the distinct feeling the bike is due to give me something else to throw money at :P

Cheers all!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1, go too CMSNLand look up parts numbers for both years if they are the same the you are in

2, while there you will see he price of them as a guide the euro price is around the price you wll pay including carriage.

oh and £100 for a loom aint bad replacements rd ones are £50 to £90 depending on age of bike

I know of someone that builds looms but it wil cot ya nearly as much i reckon

Cheers Mervin. I don't have any of the part numbers with me at present as I'm away working (AGAIN) will give that site a good look over though, looks promising thank you :)

The 1989 and 1996 are not compatible I'm afraid to say. The looms were changed in May 89 to the later 3RN1+ models (engine number starts 3MD), and i think yours is a 3DB1(engine number starts 3DB) IIRC.

The 1996 will probably be a 3RN9 design, the cdi and stator plates are different on the later models and were one of the few changes made through the years. You would have to change a large portion of the electric system to make it work.

£100 is maybe a custom made loom ?? I think having one made is the easiest option. Back in 2000ish i had loads of trouble getting a 3DB loom.

HTH

Heya Vez :)

The engine number starts with *3MD does this help me in my quest?

Also the amount of knowledge you have is insane... /imitates Clarkson "Some people say... his legs are actually a pair of USD forks"

Have you got the old loom, if so go rebuild it. What i did with my DT as all the options were no better than the one i had.

I made a pegboard up and laid out the old loom then replicated it on another identical board as there are wires in there that are'nt on the diagrams.

Then used the connectors from my old loom as far as multiplugs go, (chopped off with inch or so wiring left and solderd then shrinktubed the connection) and normal solderd crimps for the rest, any manky multiplugs were swapped out for replacements from VWP.

All told the loom cost me around 20quid.

Worked first time too :D

You're lucky there pal, they stripped the hell out of mine. When I bought it I realised how badly they had raped the bike of all road going parts so they could ride it around the Rhonda Valleys off road... douche bags!

Heya Vez :)

The engine number starts with *3MD does this help me in my quest?

Also the amount of knowledge you have is insane... /imitates Clarkson "Some people say... his legs are actually a pair of USD forks"

Yes your bike being a 3MD (model 3RN1) does make things easier for you. The 96 loom is sketchy though as the wiring was changed in 96-97. If the 96 loom has the old style CDI then it could be made to work (if it doesn't plugnplay), if its the newer style CDI then it would be easier to make a new one from scratch than make it work.

Will add diagrams shortly

Wiring diagram from 89-96 (the one you need)

99725242.jpg

Wiring diagram 96-03

11631281.jpg

You're lucky there pal, they stripped the hell out of mine. When I bought it I realised how badly they had raped the bike of all road going parts so they could ride it around the Rhonda Valleys off road... douche bags!

I take it building a new one yourself is not an option then, its not as hard as it might seem. You can easily junk quite a lot of the stock loom and just have the basics.

You are pretty much running the MX'er with lights look, i take it the engine is running fine so that bit is pretty much good. From what Vez was saying it sounds like you could make a good one from the 2 with the 25 quid jobbie. Keep your engine bit and use the lighting etc from the other.

I'd do it, but then i'm a tight b'stard and 75 notes is worth some head scratching in the garage. ;)

Spot on! Thanks Vez I'm onto my parts guys already with the info!

I guess I should owe you a beer really :P

Nah, just help someone out with there bike someday and we can call it right ;)

I take it building a new one yourself is not an option then, its not as hard as it might seem. You can easily junk quite a lot of the stock loom and just have the basics.

You are pretty much running the MX'er with lights look, i take it the engine is running fine so that bit is pretty much good. From what Vez was saying it sounds like you could make a good one from the 2 with the 25 quid jobbie. Keep your engine bit and use the lighting etc from the other.

I'd do it, but then i'm a tight b'stard and 75 notes is worth some head scratching in the garage. ;)

Lol cheers Cyn but I'll see how I get on with this one and one bits I can salvage from mates garages etc :)

You have mentioned however pretty much what I intend to do.. MX look with lights, very simple no faffing however I would like an ignition for obvious reasons. Engine is running well at the moment, Bit smokey but Just changed the plugs and it's bang on!!

I can't help with such a late model, if it were a 70/80s model we have a range of new wiring looms.

£100 for oem seems cheap, price up the cable, sleeving and connectors you'd need to build your own!