Squeaking YBR125

Brychan
This post is 4705 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I'm a noob so please treat me gently! I've recently bought a YBR125 ex-demo from my local Yamaha dealer (50 miles on the clock!) and it's a great bike except that it's developed a squeak while I'm riding that sounds like it's coming from the back wheel. It seems to appear over about 10mph. If I spin the back wheel with the bike on the stand there's no squeak there. Has anyone else experienced this / know what it could be please? I guess I'll have to take it back to the dealer but that's such a pain..! Any advice gratefully received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

@mervin: Thanks for your suggestion mate, I'm going to try oiling the chain when it stops raining to see if that does it. I only picked the bike up from the dealer on Wednesday but I guess I shouldn't assume that they had PDI'd it properly!. If it's still noisy I think I've got a mouse trap around somewhere... :rolleyes:

Hi. Another newbie here. Also have a ybr125. And it has an intermittent squeak/squeal, a rotating sound kind. I have ruled out the chain, as when it finally stopped raining not so long after I picked it up, I gave it a thorough treading, and even with that every now and then it comes back. Tried the wheel spin / wiggle to test the bearings and they seem fine, and checked out the disc, no scoring so nothing trapped and its not the rear drum as it still makes the noise with the brakes applied. Not sure what it is as it only occurs every now and then. If I come across what it is, ill let you all know.

Hi. Another newbie here. Also have a ybr125. And it has an intermittent squeak/squeal, a rotating sound kind. I have ruled out the chain, as when it finally stopped raining not so long after I picked it up, I gave it a thorough treading, and even with that every now and then it comes back. Tried the wheel spin / wiggle to test the bearings and they seem fine, and checked out the disc, no scoring so nothing trapped and its not the rear drum as it still makes the noise with the brakes applied. Not sure what it is as it only occurs every now and then. If I come across what it is, ill let you all know.

Mine is going into the dealer tomorrow for them to have a look as I also tried the stuff you did with no luck. I'll post what they find.

Hope its not a big n pricy . Fingers crossed its a. Simple thing

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong!! The squeak is really quiet now so I've re-oiled the chain after a 4 mile ride so it would be warm this evening in case it still needs some lube. Lets see what happens on my way to the station tomorrow morning!

Logical thoughts:

Squeaks come from moving parts rubbing together

What moves in the rear wheel and could rub?

Chain/sprocket

Bearings

Brake back plate

Axle/spindle

Wheel vs bodywork/swingarm

So get lubing! Or clean the dust out of the brake drum (good housekeeping anyway).

End of logical thought, possible start of drunken rambling .... or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sometimes I have the same noise on mine. I have ruled out the wheel bearings , break and chain, because I have disassembeled them recently and applied enough grease.

I believe that noise come from swingarm bushes or/and shock absorber bushes. It is like rubbing wet rubber on metal. Some non-agresive grease may help.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Sometimes I have the same noise on mine. I have ruled out the wheel bearings , break and chain, because I have disassembeled them recently and applied enough grease.

I believe that noise come from swingarm bushes or/and shock absorber bushes. It is like rubbing wet rubber on metal. Some non-agresive grease may help.

Hope this helps.

Hi Georgiev

Thanks very much for your reply. The squeak on my bike seems to have quietened down on its own over the last few days. Maybe it was just a new bike thing.! With my luck it'll probably start up again tomorrow and bring friends though.. :(

• 2 months later...

I have a less than perfect 07 YBR, but on occaision I heard a squeaky sound from the back. Turned out that the (once shiny) metal fairing bit on the exhaust was creaking if I gave it a wiggle, or indeed if the thumping engine gave it a wiggle. You never know, it might just be that!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online