HELP!!! Yam YZF600R 'Cat

heihachi
This post is 4790 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Long time lurker here...

Love my Thundercat - great bike for commuting and the odd blat out into the countryside.

However I have noticed over the last couple of days a very distinct knock has developed from somewhere near the middle/back of the bike, think it is only noticeable in 3rd gear - dont get much change to push it into 4th around town on the commute so cant be sure if its in all gears.

Its a very rythmic knocking, speeds up with the bike and is slightly less noticeable as speed generates - possibly not enough revs?? Though never had the problem/not noticed it in nearly a year so far. Can feel the knock very low down, as said it feels as though its towards the rear wheel but could be just being transmitted out by the foot pegs.

Anyone have any similar experiences/suggestions on what to check before I book it in at a grage for a once over??

Cheers guys....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Seized chain link?, can easily be seen as a kink when between the sprockets

You may be on to something here! I vaguely recal after having a quick look over the bike yesterday afternoon that there might have been a chain link slightly out of align with the others.

Shall have a better look at the weekend and perhaps drench the chain in a bit of oil, has had quite a lot of rain/dirt on the chain in the last few days and probably could do with a clean up/lubrication again.

Shall also check out the carrier bearing if the chain makes no difference.

Cheers lads - knew someone here would be able to offer some advice :lol:

Love the thundercat, I rode my mates the other day.

Truly is a great bike, that we dont see too many of now :(

Yeah its not half bad, bit soggy in the front suspension department if you push it hard but other than that I have no real complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be knackered cush drive rubbers if it kinda feels like a loose knocking mainly cruising at low engine speeds and low bike speeds

Hmmm, its a possibility.

Tried to clean up and lubricate the chain links at the weekend and took it for a quick spin. Still a slight knocking, though seemed to reduce/disappear as I got up through the gears (4th at about 50/60mph). Still quite noticeable when tootling round town at 30 in 2nd and 3rd.

Think I am goign to have to book it in for a once over, would love to be able to try and fix it myself but seriously lack the skills and balls to start dismantling the 'cat. Pity really as it sounds like it might cost a fortune :angry:

Have you checked the suspension linkage, these don't get serviced and the bearing seize and a resulting knocking noise starts.

Seized chain link?, can easily be seen as a kink when between the sprockets

I would go with oldgitonabike, it does sound like a link on the chain and what you hear and feel is the link rising on the rear sproket and then slipping on the teeth back down onto the sproket. Had the same thing on a ZZR a while back, maybe remove the chain a leave it in hot oil for a while.

I would go with oldgitonabike, it does sound like a link on the chain and what you hear and feel is the link rising on the rear sproket and then slipping on the teeth back down onto the sproket. Had the same thing on a ZZR a while back, maybe remove the chain a leave it in hot oil for a while.

Just an update in case this thread helps anyone else in the future with a similar problem.

Had the bike serviced and looked at over the weekend. Turns out the problem was indeed the chain, there was a tight spot where some links were kinked out of alignment and there was also a slack area. Guess the chain had worn unevenly.

Had the chain and sprockets replaced, knew the sprockets were getting worn out anyway!

Guy who fixed the bike said that whoever owned the 'cat before me had not fitted the chain back properly; the chain required a special breaker tool which obviously hadnt been used and as such it looks like the chain was incorrect joined via the rivets.

Anyway, rides as sweet as a nut now. Better than when I first bought her - has put that smile back on my face and thats the main thing - even if it did cost a small fortune to get there :o

Thanks for the advice lads, most of you hit the nail right on the head!