YBR 125 Lights

sisu
This post is 4782 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Appreciating that there is a sticky topic on this I have a specific question re swapping out the headlight bulb and was looking for opinions and experiences (if any). It's 1 2010 YBR if that makes any difference.

The bike is fitted as standard with a 35W/35W HS1 lamp. I spoke to a main dealer who supplied me a 55W/55W lamp saying that it should be ok but, maybe, there might be an issue with the battery being discharged if I spend a lot of time idling.

Questions are:

1. Is there likely to be an issue with the supply wires? If my calcs are correct, a 35W lamp at 12V draws around 3 amps (35W divided by 12 volts) while a 55W would draw more like 4.5 amps [not sure if double filament wire on full beam has both on or if they alternate ... if both them amps would double for each case]. Anyone know what the rating is for the headlight supply wire or have a technical manual that they could look it up in?

2. Would the battery honestly be a problem? My (limited) understanding is that once started the alternator runs the electrics and charges the battery with any surplus - wouldn't I have to be starting and stopping the engine AND using all the juice to discharge the battery? I have seen quite a few posts of folks fitting additional lights (with a separate battery supply) so I can't see that the battery should be an issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have switched from the original romatic lighting ('05 YBR) to H4 like other owners in germany by changing the whole headlight.

I am the only one (in the german ybr 125 bb), that changed the wiring as well. The others kept the original wiring - and everything worked well for over one year or more.

The wiring and the switch seem to be able to handle the more amps well enough.

About the alternator: I found a notice in a german bb that the alternator is large enough to have no problems with H4 55/60 or other bulbs with similar consumption. Some people have heated grips or use the bord system to load their navigation systems, mp3-players and cellphones while being on the road.

I have switched the tail light from standard to LED - this also brought a small benefit of less power consumption. :)

I have not experienced any problems with the battery while riding last year, the e-starter worked well all the time. In times of trouble my '05 also got the kick, but the '11 does not have a kick-starter any more?

Greetings, Martin

Thanks Martin, great reply.

Sounds like the wiring/switch should be ok so I will swap over the bulb and see how it goes. I hadn't thought about the load from heated grips etc so you are right, the lamp upgrade should be a minor issue in terms of the alternator's capacity.

The 2010 does still have a kick start ... always nice to have a backup :-)

I will post how I get on (probably be the weekend before I get it done!).

Thanks again