XT660 Fuelling

XT Alan
This post is 5337 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The new XT660RandX have poor fuelling at low throttle openings. Yamaha have a "fix" for this. Owners who are concerned should go to their dealer. Ask him to contact Yamaha, who will give the dealer details of the fix.

It works very well! My bike runs a lot better.

• 1 year later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The new XT660RandX have poor fuelling at low throttle openings. Yamaha have a "fix" for this. Owners who are concerned should go to their dealer. Ask him to contact Yamaha, who will give the dealer details of the fix.

If anyone has a problem with the fuelling please visit www.XT660.com, we have an inexpensive fix that once you have registered (free) can be found here: http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=194

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

:blink: Hi. I'm a newbie here on the site, also own a new XT 660R, very happy with it. But please could you tell me what exactly you mean by the 'poor fueling at low throttle openings'? Does that explain the slight jerkiness at low revs? Thanks

YamiRich

:blink: Hi. I'm a newbie here on the site, also own a new XT 660R, very happy with it. But please could you tell me what exactly you mean by the 'poor fueling at low throttle openings'? Does that explain the slight jerkiness at low revs? Thanks

YamiRich

Many of them have defective ECU's....causing spluttering and cutting out.

Yamaha are replacing them under warranty so just ask your dealer to order you a new one.

Many of them have defective ECU's....causing spluttering and cutting out.

Yamaha are replacing them under warranty so just ask your dealer to order you a new one.

Thanks very much. I'm not having problems yet but if I do atleast I'll have an idea of what may be the problem. I like to know the bike inside and out. Thanks again. Happy Biking

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much. I'm not having problems yet but if I do atleast I'll have an idea of what may be the problem. I like to know the bike inside and out. Thanks again. Happy Biking

Most bikes are still experiencing low revs surging but we have a mechanic on our forum who works with r+d in VolksWagen he knows a thing or two about fuel injection and engines and he has designed a small mod that can be found in my forum if anyone is interested go to XT660.com and look for the Kev Mod.

here http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=194

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Most bikes are still experiencing low revs surging but we have a mechanic on our forum who works with r+d in VolksWagen he knows a thing or two about fuel injection and engines and he has designed a small mod that can be found in my forum if anyone is interested go to XT660.com and look for the Kev Mod.

here http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=194

Thanks

Ok boys & girls we finally have the fuelling fix for sale on ebay and also the maintenance manual for the bike at the following links

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E%3AIT&rd=1

we gave away 4 of these free to 4 lucky testers to try it and report and here are some of the comments from these people

Thanks to all the testers for their help on testing my mod.

The test results are back after one month & this is what the testers had to say.

Can be bought at Ebay. http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...satitle=xt660x

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

Hi Kev,

How are you?

I was late on carry out the mod cause I wanted to replace my ECU first. It was replace about a week ago.

Yesterday I carry out the "Fuelling mod". The small black box mod with the resistors. When I finished, I went for a ride. I was impressed Kev. The bike was very smooth. When I close the throttle very little surging. Generally surging is much more less than before. Very nice Kev......very nice.

My initial C01 was -8. I adjusted it to 15. I will experiment about this more. What do you think? I have now on the bike the STD air filter. But I will put the K&N filter again. What C01 will I set?

Also I think that acceleration is better now.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING KEV,

Laksof.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

Re: Mod Stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've had a busy afternoon. I've drilled holes in the air box and fitted the covers as per your instructions, removed the snorkel and adjusted the CO as well.

I've also fitted the variable resistors and I'm pleased to announce that the bike still starts, so I'm fairly sure that I cut the correct wires and managed to solder them together correctly, hurrah!

I've adjusted the air temp and the coolant temp as per your instructions and had a quick trip out to see whether the bike still goes.

The most noticeable difference is that the bike is a lot smoother when coming on and off the throttle, this is a big bonus as I commute into central London for work and as you can guess that involves a lot of on/off throttle riding.

The surging at small throttle openings is improved as well although not as dramatically. I will do some more fine tuning at a later date so there may be further improvements to come

Fitting the kit was fairly easy, although I don't have a great deal of mechanical know how a methodical approach seemed to pay dividends.

On the whole I feel that fitting the mod has improved the bike and wasn't to tough to fit. I would guess that it took me about 4 hours to do the whole job as I wasn't rushing.

Thanks for the kit Kev I'm sure I'll be in touch as I'm not entirely sure how I tell whether the bike is running too lean or too rich. Is checking the colour of the plug the best method?

Anyway hope you had a good run out and are taking a well earned rest.

Thanks

Skeeter

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

Originally Posted by tomr2992

Its been all go! Well managed to get the mod fitted..bit fiddly for someone with limited bike maintenance. But got there in the end.

Ease of fitment, Fuel mod. >1 to 10 (1 = Easy.

10 = Hard to fit) =4 (fiddly but expected)

Ease of fitment, Airbox mod. > 1 to 10 (1 = Easy.

10 = Hard to fit) = 2 no real problems

Ease of set up, tuning the device.> 1 to 10 (1 =

Easy. 10 = Hard to fit) =1 Now even I dont struggle with this!

1 being the lowest score same as STD bike. 10 being

the highest score much improvement.

Improvement in performance, acceleration.

Bottom end. 1 to 10 =7

Mid range. 1 to 10 =8

Top end. 1 to 10 =3

General improvement in rideability. 1 to 10 = 3 alot less surging due to better acceleration control

Improvement in surging. 1 to 10 =1

Improvement over STD XT660X.

TOTAL SCORE = 9/10. get this marketed gents! I think there'll be some money to be made if you can get the audiance

Recommended improvements to this mod. Pictures with the instructions are a must. i had to print them out myself..which was a bit of a pain as i dont own a printer!

Did this mod meet your expectations.

I was unsure what to expect if im honest..but a good surprise. Alot less surge and it makes the bike alot easier to ride full stop.

Thank you

Tomr

• 3 years later...

Hi. Can you tell me what the fix is?

It's a number of changes, a small electronic gizmo to replace the O2 sensor, and air box modifications.

If you follow the links, the site is a vibrant mixture of XT owners.