Broken fins

Barcus
This post is 4806 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am assuming that the head is made of Aluminium on the Pre-Diversion XJ600f...?

That said, three fins on the left side of the head (on mine) are snapped and generally buggered well and truly.

I'd like to think there is a way of repairing these for cosmetic appearance alone... The damage makes no difference to the running of the engine... just looks pants on one side. I guess the previous owner didn't give a hoot, but I am a bit more fussy.. Mind you, I don't feel up to changing the head, so any suggestions would be appreciated....

Cheer Ears

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

... any suggestions would be appreciated....

Suggestion 1 - put this query in Workshop rather than Events, Rideouts etc... ;)

Suggestion 2 - dig around your local area for a blacksmith or engineering company who can do ally welding & see what they say. Do you have the broken bits of fins? If you don't then whoever does the job is going to have to build up the weld in formation, or weld in one big lump and use the angle grinder to make fins.

Suggestion 3 - as you're probably going to have to take the head off for Suggestion 2, you might as well look for a replacement, could work out as cheap as getting an artisan to do the tricky welding bit, and you'll have a spare one you can flog on to get back some of the costs.

HTH

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online