Starting noises

cobluecrewfan
This post is 4800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I tried to find a previous post about this issue, but didnt find anything completely similar. I getting my '73 TX500 back to riding condition and tried to start it with the electric start. When I push the button, it sounds like it is engaging, then after a second or so, I hear horrible clanking coming from th left side of the bike. It sounds like a loose chain clanking around inside th cover. I took off the left cover thinking it may be the starter chain (the chain that engages the flywheel and starter motor) and I noticed when I looked at it, it looked to be a little droopy between the chain guide and the starter motor. But when I look at pictures of other guys similar bikes, they also have some droop. I dont want to purchase a new one if it is not that, but I cant think of what else it may be.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like the starter motor clutch bearing is worn

its a one way bearing when you engage the starter it turns the bearing which spins out and turns the motor over when the engine fires it disengages havin the same trouble with my ride trouble is its a 300 euro fix for mine

73 tx should be fairly cheap enough to sort seems to a common prob on the tx

I tried to find a previous post about this issue, but didnt find anything completely similar. I getting my '73 TX500 back to riding condition and tried to start it with the electric start. When I push the button, it sounds like it is engaging, then after a second or so, I hear horrible clanking coming from th left side of the bike. It sounds like a loose chain clanking around inside th cover. I took off the left cover thinking it may be the starter chain (the chain that engages the flywheel and starter motor) and I noticed when I looked at it, it looked to be a little droopy between the chain guide and the starter motor. But when I look at pictures of other guys similar bikes, they also have some droop. I dont want to purchase a new one if it is not that, but I cant think of what else it may be.

sounds like the starter motor clutch bearing is worn

its a one way bearing when you engage the starter it turns the bearing which spins out and turns the motor over when the engine fires it disengages havin the same trouble with my ride trouble is its a 300 euro fix for mine

73 tx should be fairly cheap enough to sort seems to a common prob on the tx

Thank you for your help! I just want to make sure I am understading you correctly, are you talking about the bearing that is on the starter motor itself, or the starter clutch that sits behind the flywheel?

starter clutch is behind the flywheel the chain from the started should run down to it a good tip wpould be to disconnect the chain from the starter and turn it over and see if there is any grinding from the starter bearings but to be honest a 73 motor will prob not have had the clutch bearing done in a while if at all if you don't feel comfortable doing it get a mate with the know how to do it and show you the ropes do it once and do it right do it twice and waste your night sounds taccy i know but when you do it right you will fell better for it

Thank you for your help! I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly, are you talking about the bearing that is on the starter motor itself, or the starter clutch that sits behind the flywheel?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online