lights more intense ?

littlepig
This post is 4808 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After noon people , have a query here regarding lights on the xvs 125 . I noticed during the week that the headlight is getting brighter at random points while driving, the day after I noticed that the clock bulb is doing the same thing at the same time as the headlight.then lastnight I noticed that the neutral light is coming on dimly while all the others are bright ? Any suggestions to why ? Cheers folks .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check your battery, could be low. With any luck it will just need topping up with water. If not maybe replacing.

If you find it is low on fluid check the voltage at the terminals with the engine running. Should be 13-14 volts or thereabouts.

Check that the battery terminals tight too.

If the battery has to be replaced - It's a sealed one. Cannot top these ones up, I'm afraid.

However - Start her up, warm the engine and check some things first:

1/. Lights off, engine idling. Is the Neutral light steady?

2/. Lights off, slowly increase the revs. Does the Neutral light get brighter at all?

3/. Lights off, switch on indicator. Does the Neutral light go dim when the indicator is on?

4/. As above, but with slowly increasing revs?

5/. Try all of the above with headlight on. Does the headlight get brighter as you increase revs?

Nip out, check these and report back.

If the battery has to be replaced - It's a sealed one. Cannot top these ones up, I'm afraid.

However - Start her up, warm the engine and check some things first:

1/. Lights off, engine idling. Is the Neutral light steady?

2/. Lights off, slowly increase the revs. Does the Neutral light get brighter at all?

3/. Lights off, switch on indicator. Does the Neutral light go dim when the indicator is on?

4/. As above, but with slowly increasing revs?

5/. Try all of the above with headlight on. Does the headlight get brighter as you increase revs?

Nip out, check these and report back.

Thats a pain in the arse.

Defo not battery had it checked out , the bike is used every day at least 30 miles. Just concerned as folk in front of me think I'm flashing my lights , can be dodgy at junctions.

Defo not battery had it checked out , the bike is used every day at least 30 miles. Just concerned as folk in front of me think I'm flashing my lights , can be dodgy at junctions.

Had it checked out? Recently, how did the voltage test go? and you have checked for loose headlight bulb etc.

hmm thats a strange one. :huh:

have you checked the earth points? could be a week contact causing the lights to be dim then on the odd occasion they get a good contact making them brighter.

the only other things i can think that can cause this kinda problem (not in any order) would be a relay fault, the reg/rect, or the stator coil in the engine.

best crack out the voltmeter and the manual and have a good check over.