Symptoms of an air leak...

DeanG
This post is 4803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Rebuilt my xt and ever since it hasn't idled properly... I've gone over the manifold a few times making sure there isn't an air leak with wd40 when its running (to no success)

My rectifier is bad, so the battery doesnt charge so I have to keep charging the battery or its a complete bas**** to start :\

Anyway it won't idle, it runs with choke on (sounds like an air leak) and more recently it started missfiring at about 6k revs so I changed the plug and nothing changed - After 2 days the missfiring got really bad at any revs and began sounding like an F1 cars launch control/rev limiter lol

Its unridable now it just missfires then dies

I dont think it is an air leak because I can't find one but what else could it be? I'm thinking electrical

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The first part of your problem may be the problem. If the rectifiers bad then the ignition system may not be getting the correct voltage to run. Also constant bulk charge from a charger will do the battery in, car batteries are not happy dropping below 90%charge and may not recover from 70% or below, they will certainly be damaged and the point where we all say "shit where's the charger" is normally below that :rolleyes: .

You have to fix that first, it may be separate. My old DT had a completely isolated ig system. Great! saved me walking a couple of times off road when nothing else worked.....

Anyway the TDR on the other hand, thats different. Bad battery then things go all to ratshit in a hand cart with weird missfires and stupid powervalve opperation.

May not be what you wanted to hear but.....Fix the rectifier....

The first part of your problem may be the problem. If the rectifiers bad then the ignition system may not be getting the correct voltage to run. Also constant bulk charge from a charger will do the battery in, car batteries are not happy dropping below 90%charge and may not recover from 70% or below, they will certainly be damaged and the point where we all say "shit where's the charger" is normally below that :rolleyes: .

You have to fix that first, it may be separate. My old DT had a completely isolated ig system. Great! saved me walking a couple of times off road when nothing else worked.....

Anyway the TDR on the other hand, thats different. Bad battery then things go all to ratshit in a hand cart with weird missfires and stupid powervalve opperation.

May not be what you wanted to hear but.....Fix the rectifier....

Thats exactly what I wanna hear :) It does seem like a massive electric fault when it keeps missfiring like im hitting the kill switch, like the CDI is f*cked but it is most likely the rectifier

Been quoted £57 for one brand new so I'll sort that out :)

Did you do the top end yourself , or did a shop do it ? only asking , because if you are one tooth out on the

camchain it would be running rough & could cause more damage .

Did you do the top end yourself , or did a shop do it ? only asking , because if you are one tooth out on the

camchain it would be running rough & could cause more damage .

Surely that would have been bad from square one though, not gradually got worse?

Surely that would have been bad from square one though, not gradually got worse?

Yeh probably , I read it as it had been running rough after rebuild from start .

15 minutes to check timing marks wouldn't hurt if unsure ?

Yeh probably , I read it as it had been running rough after rebuild from start .

15 minutes to check timing marks wouldn't hurt if unsure ?

Yeah I rebuilt it myself - It has never idled since rebuild but the missfiring came recently

I did recharge my battery the first time and it let it idle for about 10-15 seconds before dying

I'll give the timing a once over though

For those who may read in the future, I found a loose earth on my rectifier - I will be replacing the bad rectifier very soon - But it is a temporary fix.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Did it fix the missfiring?

Did it fix the missfiring?

Yeah, no more missfiring - My bike is chewing through clutch cables though lol - 2nd one just snapped and I've had it since....1st Jan this year

Atm it just won't idle - But thats because the rectifier is bad - If I fully charge the battery it idles lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online